I think last gen's NHL games were better.

Mar 12, 2009
I had more fun with 2019 than 2018 mainly due to the scouting system being at least more interesting than previous instalments. The main thing is it's just disapointing how little ultimately changes from year to year.
I go back to some of the older games occasionally, and they can be fun, but all have felt quite dated to me, leading me to believe some of the hyping of last gen games is somewhat nostalgia based. Other complaints seem to stem from people being "good" at one years version, and then being bad at the next version due to some tweaks, and not wanting to have to re-learn anything to adjust. The gameplay definitely isn't perfect, but I haven't found it to be hyperbolic levels of terrible that some seem to, but maybe that's because I exclusively play offline.

I haven't tried messing around with it, but don't current games have "arcade" setting and sliders that allow you to make it more arcade like/fast paced? I'm just curious if people who don't like current gen have tinkered with those settings, since there seem to be a lot more gameplay style options/settings/sliders to customize things, compared to last gen.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Removing the puck from opponents is laughably unrealistic in NHL 19 and it makes the game bland and boring to me. The amount of times I will hit/stick lift/poke check and he keeps the puck is mind boggling and extremely frustrating. It seems like every game they release has 1 glaring deficiency and this year, it's removing the puck which makes it pretty much unplayable.
Even worse in nhl 20 now.

YellowheadChiefs

Jan 31, 2019
Mr. Penalty man himself? Lol
Lol, I get a lot of flack for being a troll. HOWEVER, I play a legitimate game until someone starts whining or complaining since I don't take the game as my shot at the show. But I'm really starting to question some people's definition of top player.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Need to bring back the thing from NHL12 where you could run over the goalies and now get thrown to the ice yourself

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
NHL 11 was the best one for sure. I recently bought a 360 so I could play it again. If I had known how bad the current gen hockey games were going to be, I never would have sold my 360 in the first place.

I also learned that NHL 11 is pretty bad without the latest tuner sets and unfortunately with the servers being down now, you can't download them. I had to transfer the tuner set files from my pc to my xbox, which was easier said than done, but well worth the trouble because it really is the best NHL game out there, in my opinion.

11 was the last one I thought was really really good.

12 was decent but a small step down (very similar though)

13 was the beginning of the end IMO.

14 improved upon 13 but was still flawed.

15 (on PS3) was a clone of 14. I know on next gen (PS4) it was an atrocity.

16 I kinda liked, was the last year I enjoyed HUT. EASHL lost me when they took away the ability to progress and modify attributes.

17 wasn't good. Sorry but I can't stand the whole "synergy" stuff in HUT.

18 was worse again.

19 kept the downward spiral going.

20 I didn't even purchase.

Just realized HUT has now been around for a decade. I'd love to see the dollar figure of the amount of revenue a decade of HUT purchases has put in EA's pocket. My guess is it would blow your mind how much profit they made off selling digital hockey cards.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Peaked with 95 and has been largely garbage since.

96 is my personal favorite, because it had all the features of 95 (full seasons, trades, player creation) but also brought back the fighting that had been sorely missed since 93. They never brought back the massive pools of blood that formed around an injured player's head, though. :(

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
i played all the nhl games, 97-04 were the best, 11 and 14 were up there as well.

i stop playing 20, you cant make plays, stop taking penalties, cant even hit the players, goalies wont make saves to save your life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad