I think last gen's NHL games were better.

ripham23232

Nov 6, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I've grown tired of all the goofs in this series on current gen, and today fired up NHL 12 on PS3. I need to tinker with the settings to find the right mix, but man did I have real fun playing a game for the first time in a while. I'm looking at a BaGM with the Wings and trying to re-write history a little bit.

I have a copy of NHL 2004 on PC, but just can't quite get it to work 100%. Wish I could figure it out, as that seems to be the sweetspot of the series, especially with all the mods.

Reactions: uncleben

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I honestly don't get all the far fetched complaints about how the current games are so awful and broken, games from a decade ago are better, etc.

The current game is very good in my opinion. Not perfect, but it's not the crazy mess you'd think from reading a lot of stuff here.

Are there tons of issues with online play? I never play online so maybe that could explain the gap.

Last edited:

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I havent played 19 but i play 18 quite a bit and I feel it is taking steps back. Previous year i played was 14 and only complaint i had with that were when players catching passes, they just stop and then go again. No fluidness. Also the puck physics were way off. Puck would bounce like a bouncy ball in corners.

I remember playing a demo on my aunts computer of NHL 2000 (Dallas vs Buffalo) and enjoyed it and never felt like there were any glitches per say. Very solid game.

mhart1

Maniac Caniac
Oct 8, 2013
Pori
IMHO you can't just say for example that NHL14 is better game than NHL19. I absolutely loathe EA, but I have to admit every year the game series I play (NHL & FIFA) take small steps forward being little bit better than previous release.

However, you can definitely say that you enjoyed playing NHL14 more than NHL19. I mean honestly, for me NHL14 was the best game when measuring the enjoyment level. But the thing is, I could not fire up NHL14 today and say hey, this game and physics and whatnot is miles ahead of the current release. I could play a game or two for nostalgic kicks but that's it.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
18 was playable with the right sliders. This game is bad, the momentum/scripting seems to be a staple in EA games now and I don’t see it going away. FIFA is the worst of the series for it, EA don’t even try to hide it.

You can tell right from the first few passes or shots on goal that you aren’t winning the game. No matter what you do, the puck will not go in. Too much weird stuff happens.

Reactions: Turin and LazyT

ripham23232

Nov 6, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I honestly don't get all the far fetched complaints about how the current games are so awful and broken, games from a decade ago are better, etc.

The current game is very good in my opinion. Not perfect, but it's not the crazy mess you'd think from reading a lot of stuff here.

Are there tons of issues with online play? I never play online so maybe that could explain the gap.

I'm not in the boat of the current game is awful and broken, I just think the past gen got to a point where it was more refined and enjoyable to play. Some of the physics or player models may come up short, but the gameplay had less cheese or glitches or things like that. I would agree with you that the current game is made out to be trash, when in reality it's quite good in it's own right.

IMHO you can't just say for example that NHL14 is better game than NHL19. I absolutely loathe EA, but I have to admit every year the game series I play (NHL & FIFA) take small steps forward being little bit better than previous release.

However, you can definitely say that you enjoyed playing NHL14 more than NHL19. I mean honestly, for me NHL14 was the best game when measuring the enjoyment level. But the thing is, I could not fire up NHL14 today and say hey, this game and physics and whatnot is miles ahead of the current release. I could play a game or two for nostalgic kicks but that's it.

In some ways, the games do take steps forward. Even though the commentary lines are a bit repetitive, the presentation as a whole is light years ahead of what it was on past gen. For me personally, that enjoyment level is what makes or breaks a game, and as of right now, I'm enjoying the heck out of NHL 12. It is requiring me to adjust how I play hockey as opposed to 17,18, and now 19, where I've done the same thing with the same results and it has grown stale now.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I've been playing these games since 93. NHL was always the first and only game I'd buy every year. I have been extremely disappointed with this hockey game over the past 10 years. Although NHL 19 has improved somewhat, it's still not a very fun game to play. I absolutely hated 17 and 18. You do anything now days it results in a penalty. There are no more clear cut breakaways, which I used to have a blast with. The hockey now is too congested, its just one big mess. No flow what so ever. I miss the arcade feel a bit. Sure EA is trying to be realistic, but its a video game. If your lined up for a big hit, it should be a big hit. If you deke the last man back, it should be a breakaway. Get this momentum swing out of here, it plays too much of a factor in the game. I no longer worry when I'm a few goals down because once you score, theres a good chance you will score again and again. I miss the old days, bring back the fun features, and lose this clutch and grab, go nowhere BS.

EA has become very lazy with this one time classic, that continues to go down hill.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Did that. I'm going to reacquire my old Windows XP desktop. The game worked fine on it. If this doesn't work, I'm throwing in the towel.

If you still need help with this, let me know. I can help you make any version of NHL (back to '95) playable in Windows 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: tinpanalley

JGaudreau

Oct 9, 2015

Your opinion is wrong. The skating, passing, shooting, online, momentum, paytowin HUT are all worse in 19 than 14. Since the PS4 era I can't even play 1 game without my hands aching from trying to move 18 wheeler big rigs around the ice.

The games are trash now, absolute trash. In NHL 94 you could pass to who you wanted and switch to the player you wanted. Not anymore, it's a worse game now than it was 25 years ago. I wouldn't play 19 if you paid me. The only thing it has is more polygons per model, whoopdee frikin doo.

And the worst part is it's supposed to be different because it's more of a simulation... a simulation of what? It looks nothing like real hockey at all, obliterate a guy in the corner and can't get the puck before he gets back up, yeah, great simulation. Players stand around staring at the puck, rubber band momentum. It's trash dude, sorry you can't see that. I'd play 14 for 100 years before playing 1 more game in 19.

Last edited:

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
I haven't bought an NHL game for my PS4 yet. I haven't even tried NHL 19 because I've given up on the franchise. Very disappointing that there isn't a decent NHL hockey that's worth buying for this generation of consoles.

Still playing NHL 13 just wish I had updated rosters.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I would take a roster update on any of 09,10,12,13 over any of the PS4 releases. The game is total trash now, I don’t know how anyone can play it let alone enjoy it.

mhart1

Maniac Caniac
Oct 8, 2013
Pori
Your opinion is wrong. The skating, passing, shooting, online, momentum, paytowin HUT are all worse in 19 than 14. Since the PS4 era I can't even play 1 game without my hands aching from trying to move 18 wheeler big rigs around the ice.

The games are trash now, absolute trash. In NHL 94 you could pass to who you wanted and switch to the player you wanted. Not anymore, it's a worse game now than it was 25 years ago. I wouldn't play 19 if you paid me. The only thing it has is more polygons per model, whoopdee frikin doo.

And the worst part is it's supposed to be different because it's more of a simulation... a simulation of what? It looks nothing like real hockey at all, obliterate a guy in the corner and can't get the puck before he gets back up, yeah, great simulation. Players stand around staring at the puck, rubber band momentum. It's trash dude, sorry you can't see that. I'd play 14 for 100 years before playing 1 more game in 19.
Well, I whatever makes you feel good. The game can be annoying at times but time makes memories golden. I quite frankly remember 14 having a lot things to complain.

I'd actually draw a quick conclusion and say people are just pretty fed up to "EA things" and throw the trashpile on the latest instalment as that is what currently drives them crazy.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
All I want is to be able to view career stats in a combined format like in the older games. I shouldn't have to get out a calculator and add up each season for a player. Having a All Time record book would also be great. You wouldn't think adding those to the new games would be that hard but what do I know.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
How many "new features" have they introduced to GM mode that have actually worked?
I find myself turning off virtually all of them.

Team morale? Off
Owner mode? Off
Fog of War? Off

It's pretty telling that almost all of their new features lately, are ones that most people just simply shut off. It's pathetic.

The NHL Franchise is badly in need of some fresh blood at the top - Ramjagsingh needs to go

Reactions: tinpanalley

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
NHL 11 is fantastic. I had a ps3 just to play that beauty

I bought PS3 Slim just for NHL 14. Did not own console version (or console) ever before, nor after.
I did quite like it, it was not the most realistic, but still felt like improvement over old PC versions (the last i played was 09, but liked the most the 2001-2004 ones). I played quite a few games with my friends on occasion, not that much alone, but that was mostly down to inconvenience for me to have to run it on console (being PC guy, not having place for console, console would just not work at all over HDMI with a Panasonic TV, so needed to connect it to the computer monitor, each time i wanted to play, etc...)

Anyway, f***ing Playstation broke 2 years after i bought it, literally one week after the warranty ended and that was it, no more NHL for me since then. And it used to be one of my most favourite games, in my teen years...
Now, i own really great rig, custom built workstation with 14-core i9 CPU. 64GB RAM and 2x RTX2080Ti gpus. And i´ll be damned if i spend money on console again just for NHL, with such HW at my disposal. Either they got a grip and finally release for PC or they dont, in which case i am keeping my money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad