I think last gen's NHL games were better.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I had played NHL 14 for a couple years, i think like 3 before i upgraded to a PS4 and wife bought me NHL 18. I didnt play it for almost a year cause it was worse than 14. Im playing it right now but i still get annoyed at the overall game play. Guys not moving the right away, or computer not allowing me to hit a guy and the AI on both sides is terrible. Ill play this occasionally as i enjoy and love hockey like every one here but I am not racing out to get each years copy. I am actually hoping and wishing 2k series gets revived as that was probably my all time favorite series. Specially the year with Ovi on the cover.

I play the GM/Owner mode and it is a bit ridiculous the stuff they have you do on the owner side. Like i need to upgrade a brand new building during the first year or 5. Really? oh well.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Had so much fun playing NHL with a Xbox 360, can't say the same about any of the current gen games.

The older games played much better. Skill was greatly rewarded and great players could just embarrass nearly everyone without paying much attention to the game. The new games have been designed to artificially make the games tighter than they really should be. Skating is downright broken as a lumbering AHL enforces skates nearly as fast as MacKinnon, all because it makes it more "fair" for noobs. There is no point playing a game that tries to limit the advantage skilled players have over everyone else.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I'd like an NHL Blitz type hockey game. Hitting, causing injuries and massive collisions are always so hilarious to me in those games. It's an under focused element in NHL games compared to stick handling, scoring, deking, AI and the skating.

When i cared I was consistently playing for top 50 teams in he EASHL. Eventually I got bored and created a hit squad. We'd go for as many hits as we could and sometimes I'd end up on the other side of twenty. It was always just an absolute blast, especially when we'd win on top of it. Gave us another reason to play besides just scoring and D. There were sooooo many hilarious glitches too where guys would bounce 8 feet into the air or do a triple flip after their face smashed into the ice.

If the game was fairly priced at 30 bucks like it should be then I'd still be buying. It's not, so I haven't bought an NHL game since 13. (Except 16 which i got used for 5 bucks)

Last edited:

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'd like an NHL Blitz type hockey game. Hitting, causing injuries and massive collisions are always so hilarious to me in those games. It's an under focused element in NHL games compared to stick handling, scoring, deking, AI and the skating.

I'd go for as many hits as I could and sometimes I'd end up on the other side of twenty. it was always just an absolute blast, especially when we'd win on top of it. Gave us another reason to play besides just scoring and D. There were sooooo many hilarious glitches too where guys would bounce 8 feet into the air or do a triple flip after their face smashed into the ice.

If the game was fairly priced at 30 bucks like it should be then I'd still be buying. It's not so I haven't bought an NHL game since 13. (Except 16 which i got used for 5 bucks)

Omg you just reminded me of "NHL Hitz Pro" a game from 2004... my younger brother broke it but best NHL game I played!

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Funny enough i don't think I ever won a single EASHL playoff. Did anyone play in the VHL? That was amazing. it was entire league WITH a minors system AND an ECHL.

6s hockey. We had enough players to legit fill every single NHL and AHL team every night that we had games. I'm pretty sure we had enough for the ECHL too.

I was able to work my way up to the NHL for a few teams on a number of occasions despite being a relative nobody but I choked a few too many times in key situations and couldn't score from the backend so I mostly played in the A.

Still I never actually looked up HOW to play hockey or hockey video games. I had NO clue how to stick handle or use the right stick. I could hit, strip and poke like a king though.

I just liked watching the damn sport and went from not playing an NHL game in 15 years (Hi NHL faceoff 97) to legitimately competing with and against some of the best there were. Felt cool. I'll never be on any top 10 player lists but I'll have that!

Some of my most fun video game playing moments came with the last generation of NHL games

Reactions: x Tame Impala

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
Funny enough i don't think I ever won a single EASHL playoff. Did anyone play in the VHL? That was amazing. it was entire league WITH a minors system AND an ECHL.

6s hockey. We had enough players to legit fill every single NHL and AHL team every night that we had games. I'm pretty sure we had enough for the ECHL too.

I was able to work my way up to the NHL for a few teams on a number of occasions despite being a relative nobody but I choked a few too many times in key situations and couldn't score from the backend so I mostly played in the A.

Still I never actually looked up HOW to play hockey or hockey video games. I had NO clue how to stick handle or use the right stick. I could hit, strip and poke like a king though.

I just liked watching the damn sport and went from not playing an NHL game in 15 years (Hi NHL faceoff 97) to legitimately competing with and against some of the best there were. Felt cool. I'll never be on any top 10 player lists but I'll have that!

Some of my most fun video game playing moments came with the last generation of NHL games

There are way bigger leagues now and more of them. LG, VG, SP, FBHL I am sure I am missing some that I never played in. LG even has its own Iphone and Android apps. I have played at every level in LG and it has been pretty fun. Always sucks to get on a team with no chemistry for a season but it happens.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Yeah I was never big fan of EASHL before but I did sign up for VG this season, have had a blast so far in the AHL.
There are way bigger leagues now and more of them. LG, VG, SP, FBHL I am sure I am missing some that I never played in. LG even has its own Iphone and Android apps. I have played at every level in LG and it has been pretty fun. Always sucks to get on a team with no chemistry for a season but it happens.

Crap I may have to get NHL now.

Which one are you guys in and which platform does everyone seem to be on the most? I'm looking up LG now and it looks like they're in the playoffs which means a new season may be starting soon. Do you know of any leagues that are starting in the next few weeks? Damn, I just got way too excited

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
Crap I may have to get NHL now.

Which one are you guys in and which platform does everyone seem to be on the most? I'm looking up LG now and it looks like they're in the playoffs which means a new season may be starting soon. Do you know of any leagues that are starting in the next few weeks? Damn, I just got way too excited

LG seems to have the highest level of play and the largest player base and VGL just behind. FBHL level seems to be far behind both leagues. Never heard of SP do i can't say.

Many players play multiple leagues so even FBHL has some really good teams with VG & LG NHL experience but the average team doesn't seem to be that good.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Just replayed NHL 14 Live the Life. Made a Center Sniper and started off on the Norfolk Admirals, Anaheim's AHL Team. I simmed a couple of games and made the NHL. Scored a hat trick playing 1 period for the Ducks, and the next day I was traded to Arizona for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. Lmao
I like that, do your best for those guys.

I play Nhl 17 on my xbox and Nhl 09 on pc (the pc version is shit) but both are fun.
I am no hardcore fan and began playing the games not to long ago so i don't have much to complain (never played Nhl 11).
I just want the games back on pc and with better graphics, commentators (not as bad as the german commentors in fifa 14), ref calls , be a pro mode [i make a breakaway and i lose points, because my shift is too long? or i get scored on in a bad way (puck bounces of my glove or shoulder behind me into the net) and i get minus points that annoys me], playing goalie should have more options of saves (i want more control) and the ai should generally be smarter.

NhL 09 is cool for playing a few rounds but the pc version is bad, so i mostly play nhl 17.

At the moment i am the Starter for the leafs (20 year old goalie in his first season) and RW/playmaker for the Flyers in my second season (Art ross, calder, hart) and we where presidents throphy winner [39 goals, 39 assists, first season (72 games)]but we lost in the first round against Montreal (later they won the cup) and i only played one and a half period in that round, because i got into a fight and that broke my face and i was out ;D.
And now we are in the middle of the season [2 weeks after season start i got into a fight again and broke my face (but i won the fight :naughty: worth it)] and i moved up to the second line again (14 g, 18 A).
I hope i can get rolling this time again.
But i don't want to play for the flyers after my rookie contract runs out. I want to play for the yotes :D

A rework of the be-a-pro mode would be awesome (same goes for franchise mode).
The stretch-goals are annoying, they should get rid of those.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I like that, do your best for those guys.

I play Nhl 17 on my xbox and Nhl 09 on pc (the pc version is ****)

Have you tried NHL 04 for PC? There's a big modding community with a ton of free downloadable mods. Game is really not much worse than 09 and the mods make it way more fun.

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
As a franchise mode player primarily, there have been major flaws in the game in all iterations. Since I haven’t played this current generation as much as the previous (skipped on 15, 17, 18 and only bought 16 used 6 months after release), it seems the major issue is the lack of major innovation in the franchise.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
No need to build a rig for 2004 though. My Intel HD4400 in my notebook has no problem playing the game at 1080p with 60fps :)

Oh wow, my laptop will suffice then (had to check the specs). All I need is a controller.

...there go my plans for a while. :laugh:

EDIT: Gonna revisit 2000 first, though. Nostalgia feels.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
PS3/360 era NHL games were great. If they fixed the glitch shots and the puck ragging they would have been perfect. I know there are still glitch shots in the current game, but they are fairly easy to prevent, in old gen you could do them and be almost unstoppable.

NHL 09 was great, 10 was a step back, 11-12 were great, 13 was awful, and 14 was really good.

On PS4/One, 15 was bad, 16 was good, 17 was good, 18 was an absolute nightmare, and 19 is pretty good.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
2004 and 09 were the peak for me. Played 5 full seasons (no simming any games) in 2004 and put a ton of hours into 09 (offline only). Didn't buy the last 2 cuz the times that I've bought into the hype like with 16 and 17 I was left very disappointed. Maybe when they make the change to the frostbite engine (only EA sports game not on it I believe) I'll give it a shot again

Meatball

Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Hey all, having a little trouble with my copy of NHL2000.

"nhl2k.icd has stopped working"

And then the game crashes. Anyone know where I can turn for help getting it started?

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
NHL 08 was the best ever IMO. It had everything in terms of gameplay, closest thing to full sim.

Everything from 15-18 blends together, not much difference there and 19 is just awful.

What a waste of money this year.

Meatball

Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Try to start it in compatibility mode for Win 98.

Did that. I'm going to reacquire my old Windows XP desktop. The game worked fine on it. If this doesn't work, I'm throwing in the towel.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->