I sure hope the Russians aren't much better than the Czech's!

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo*

MOGiLNY said:
replace 'Russians' with 'Canadians' or 'Americans' and that statement would also be true.
Not with the same braggadocio at all IMO.There are always homers that go too far in their claims of how their team is the best but you want to know what thing i've noticed that is the difference between Eastern Euro posters and American and Canadian ones? Most of the canuck and American ones give players from Eastern Europe and other countries their due and praise their talents but i rarely iF EVER see a russian or eastern euro poster around here start threads on North American players or talk about the skills of North American players that are great.They say nary a thing about them and compliments towards them in any way shape or form are as rare around here as credible sightings of Elvis.Instead,they talk about nothing but the greatness of their ownn players..........that's it!!.i don't know what it is but IMO thats the deal around here.Maybe we should do a study and check this out.

it boggles me no-one notices it.You just have to say how great you are and normally talk about little else except your own players.Prospects,nhl guys etc,it's like they are the only players in the world.

Strange stuff to me.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
cyclops said:
Not with the same braggadocio at all IMO.There are always homers that go too far in their claims of how their team is the best but you want to know what thing i've noticed that is the difference between Eastern Euro posters and American and Canadian ones? Most of the canuck and American ones give players from Eastern Europe and other countries their due and praise their talents but i rarely iF EVER see a russian or eastern euro poster around here start threads on North American players or talk about the skills of North American players that are great.They say nary a thing about them and compliments towards them in any way shape or form are as rare around here as credible sightings of Elvis.Instead,they talk about nothing but the greatness of their ownn players..........that's it!!.i don't know what it is but IMO thats the deal around here.Maybe we should do a study and check this out.

it boggles me no-one notices it.You just have to say how great you are and normally talk about little else except your own players.Prospects,nhl guys etc,it's like they are the only players in the world.

Strange stuff to me.

Perhaps that's because there are already enough threads here about North American players? And in the short time that I've been on this WJC board, I've only seen TWO threads about Russian players. Malkin and Lemtyugov. Not sure about the Malkin one, but the Lemtyugov thread was started by a Blues fan who was bragging about his team's scouting/drafting.

And to add to my point, the only times North American fans are wondering about European players are when their favourite NHL team has drafted somebody and they want to know how that prospect is doing as it affects their team.

Don't think Canadian fans are any better than Russian fans. We are all the same biased homers.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
MOGiLNY said:
And to add to my point, the only times North American fans are wondering about European players are when their favourite NHL team has drafted somebody and they want to know how that prospect is doing as it affects their team.

:clap:

MOGiLNY said:
Don't think Canadian fans are any better than Russian fans. We are all the same biased homers.

agree

espo*

MOGiLNY said:
Perhaps that's because there are already enough threads here about North American players? And in the short time that I've been on this WJC board, I've only seen TWO threads about Russian players. Malkin and Lemtyugov. Not sure about the Malkin one, but the Lemtyugov thread was started by a Blues fan who was bragging about his team's scouting/drafting.

yeah,thats what it is.Logical innocent reason for that.You know what? I don't buy it,but thats just me :dunno:

You absolutely refuse to talk about the Greatness of certain North American palyers because there are fewer threads on Russian ones? That makes no sense to me really.I(and most North American posters here) never withhold comments on great games,plays and players of the Russian variety because they are from Russia.Your excuse does'nt explain much,in fact,it kinda backs my argument.

NYR2

Feb 19, 2004
New York
My God it's like a pissing contest in here lol.

Chinaski said:
Russians are better. You should start worrying right now.

Oooh I'm shakin in my boots lol. Geez people lol.

Rush5Collapse5 said:
The only downside is the US team are all tired as hell now. :shakehead

Yup, that is my concern. But what are you gonna do? If they had played better they wouldn't be in this position. :dunno:

Chinaski said:
Well, then just keep it in your head until your brain is alive. And never forget that.

You need to get over yourself. Wow, I thought the Canadians were being cocky, damn they got nothing on you. :shakehead

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
This is pregame Canada US all over again. It was: If the refs let them play and do not blow the whistle, Canada will beat the USA. Now it is: If the refs let them play and do not blow the whistle, the US will beat Russia. Schneider has only leet in 1 even strength goal all tournament long.

Prediction: Minimal penalties called USA 2-1
Lots of penalties called: Russia 4-3

weezman

NYR2 said:
You need to get over yourself. Wow, I thought the Canadians were being cocky, damn they got nothing on you. :shakehead

Haven't watched the Russian team in WJC before have you? ;)

SIBIR

Dec 9, 2003
Berlin - Novosibirsk
cyclops said:
yeah,thats what it is.Logical innocent reason for that.You know what? I don't buy it,but thats just me :dunno:

You absolutely refuse to talk about the Greatness of certain North American palyers because there are fewer threads on Russian ones? That makes no sense to me really.I(and most North American posters here) never withhold comments on great games,plays and players of the Russian variety because they are from Russia.Your excuse does'nt explain much,in fact,it kinda backs my argument.

believe me, if Crosby plays the next season in Sibir Novosibirsk (RSL) i will start a thread about him :D

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Looks like this place will be full of hating and flaming after tonight's game is over. I'll have to wear a bulletproof vest when I login..

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
MOGiLNY said:

cyclops has a point there. We're all homers but Russian fans are extremely tough on North Americans. To most of you, North American players especially Canadian players are just a bunch of goons. I know you can recognize nice plays from us but I also know quite a few Russians who NEVER give us any credit whatsoever. Not only that but we get lots of insults left and right. You may not have noticed it because you see it as a Russian perspective but it's there.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
MOGiLNY said:
Looks like this place will be full of hating and flaming after tonight's game is over. I'll have to wear a bulletproof vest when I login..
I recognize Russia's skill and admire it and think that this is Russia's year. That being said, I'm pretty sure some Russians will annoy me to put it lightly and I will probably turn out not so admiring in the end. We'll see.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
cyclops said:
oh,the Russians are ALWAYS better,all of us know that around here.You guys tell us every day.

Nope,

A few homers say ridiculous stuff like that all the time, in this case (World Jrs.) it happens to be true. Some Russian fans discuss Russian players because those are the only players they know as vice versa with Canadians :dunno:

I mean c'mon, Kurdometov is a goalscoring machine, how many have heard of him yet alone are ready to discuss him in detail?

As every nation's fans Russians like to think they are pretty good, and say so once in a while. Same as Candians, Americans, ect... The ratio of American or Canadian related to Russia related talk is heavily in favour of the former. I guess you just dont notice it since "Canadians are the best" seems like just someone stating the obvious and thus goes in one ear and out the other while when some poor soul says Russia is the best... it stands out.

This is a Russia related thread, and I am sure we have a right to give our opinions on our team in our teams thread? If you dont want to discuss Russia, go discuss a North American thread, as you said Russian fans dont post much in there and there wont be mention of Russians (who you really seem to hate) in there. Other than that, this is a thread dedicated to the discussion of how good the Russian Jrs are this year, go throw a hissy fit about how much you dont like Russian posters somewhere else please.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Canuck21t said:
cyclops has a point there. We're all homers but Russian fans are extremely tough on North Americans. To most of you, North American players especially Canadian players are just a bunch of goons. I know you can recognize nice plays from us but I also know quite a few Russians who NEVER give us any credit whatsoever. Not only that but we get lots of insults left and right. You may not have noticed it because you see it as a Russian perspective but it's there.

I know it's there and I'm not denying it.. I'm just saying that it goes both ways. Heck, just listen to Don Cherry..

It's a shame that a few bad apples give a bad name to the rest of us, but I guess we can't do much about it..

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Canuck21t said:
I recognize Russia's skill and admire it and think that this is Russia's year. That being said, I'm pretty sure some Russians will annoy me to put it lightly and I will probably turn out not so admiring in the end. We'll see.

I hope you are right about the first part, but I won't believe it till I see it. Beating Canada, especially in their own building is never easy, especially when you always have a hot goalie while we are stuck playing with an empty net because we can't seem to raise any half decent goalies..

We'll see. :D

espo*

SIBIR said:
believe me, if Crosby plays the next season in Sibir Novosibirsk (RSL) i will start a thread about him :D
i can't wait to see!! it'll be a first around here for me anyway.

Honestly,i can't recall it ever happening.

Phanuthier*

Rush5Collapse5 said:
And then Russia's goaltending is like....is like....is like...

Let me get back to you on that.
Only giving up 1 goal?

Macman

May 15, 2004
Canuck21t said:
We're all homers but Russian fans are extremely tough on North Americans. To most of you, North American players especially Canadian players are just a bunch of goons. I know you can recognize nice plays from us but I also know quite a few Russians who NEVER give us any credit whatsoever. Not only that but we get lots of insults left and right. You may not have noticed it because you see it as a Russian perspective but it's there.

That's something that's always ticked me off about this place. While there are certainly plenty of xenophobic, bone-headed, Canada-rah-rah fans here, there are just as many Canadians who praise European players to no end. Just take a look at the kudos for Malkin now that we've had a chance to see him this year.

But there is little, almost no, acknowledgement from Russian fans that Canada actually produces excellent players or ever wins without a combination of thuggery or thievery. If Russia wins tomorrow, you're going to see a lot of Canadians offering their legitimate congratulations. If Canada wins, most of the Russians will disappear like farts in a hurricane -- with the exception of a few guys like Mogilny. Case in point: after North Dakota there was almost no acknowledgment from Russian fans (actually, I can't remember any) that they actually had the privilege of watching one of the greatest-ever junior teams. Instead, we get the usual Crosby bashing.

Is there something in the Russian psyche that explains this? I'm not interested in more bashing. I'm genuinely curious about why there appears to be such little respect for our game despite the fact the results on the ice speak otherwise.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
I'm not sure what Mogilny is getting at here. If you look at the bottom of the main page it gives you the nationality of the current users on the board. 90% of the time it is 90%+ North Americans on these boards so of course the discussion is going to skew towards NA hockey for the most part. It's just common sense. You remarking about there not being enough Euro discussion on the boards would be like me going to a Russian hockey site and complaining about there being no Canadian hockey talk.

espo*

Macman said:
That's something that's always ticked me off about this place. While there are certainly plenty of xenophobic, bone-headed, Canada-rah-rah fans here, there are just as many Canadians who praise European players to no end. Just take a look at the kudos for Malkin now that we've had a chance to see him this year.

But there is little, almost no, acknowledgement from Russian fans that Canada actually produces excellent players or ever wins without a combination of thuggery or thievery. If Russia wins tomorrow, you're going to see a lot of Canadians offering their legitimate congratulations. If Canada wins, most of the Russians will disappear like farts in a hurricane -- with the exception of a few guys like Mogilny. Case in point: after North Dakota there was almost no acknowledgment from Russian fans (actually, I can't remember any) that they actually had the privilege of watching one of the greatest-ever junior teams. Instead, we get the usual Crosby bashing.

Is there something in the Russian psyche that explains this? I'm not interested in more bashing. I'm genuinely curious about why there appears to be such little respect for our game despite the fact the results on the ice speak otherwise.
you nailed it.Absolutely 100% true.I have no idea what it is really.Insecurity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->