I need some advice (anyone with experience in construction?)

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
I tried using a moisture detector on the bathroom wall and it's giving me a reading of 63.3 %!

The other walls in the bathroom give me something around 8% humidity, but every time I put the meter on the end wall the detector jumps up to the 60s

Does this mean the wood is rotted behind the wall?

I need some advice... I fear I have to remove the tiles and the drywall and re-do the whole thing :cry:

Video, for old time's sake:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You might have a slow leak that is getting the studs behind the wall wet, you should definitely get it sorted out as it could get worse and the problem could cost you even more.

*My Uncle owns a construction & excavation company and I used to work there when I was in my teens, learned a lot working there to the point where I can do 95% of the stuff my self, except when it comes to plumbing, you want to get a professional, never assume you know enough to fix it, it'll only be a patch fix and could make things worse and if you have ever paid a plumber to fix something, you know they charge a pretty penny because the work they do is no joke. I had a friend who had a problem of a leak that could not be found, turns out, the back wall to the tub had a small crack and when his upstairs tenant had a bath, the water would slowly leak into the walls, the wood damage was extensive but luckily it was never his building so he just had to report it and the landlord had to sort it out. Don't get into that situation yourself. Get it checked, so you lose a few tiles, there's your opportunity to renovate (minor) that bathroom a tiny bit.

Spend a little to avoid a big mess or spend a lot to avoid a massive mess that you allowed to get to that point because you ignored it.

WeWantTacos

they said aw-reety an' they was aw-righty
Apr 6, 2012
Brett Hallway
I don't mean to alarm you, but you're actually a goldfish in one of those castle decorations in a fish bowl. That's why there's so much moisture.

Reactions: OmniCube

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
That's the shower wall right? I wouldn't be surprised if water is seeping through the cracks in the grout. I'd plan to get it fixed before it comes crashing down on you unexpectedly, it happened to me, The day before I was leaving for vacation. My only bathroom too.

Brad Chadwick

Jan 16, 2017
That's the shower wall right? I wouldn't be surprised if water is seeping through the cracks in the grout. I'd plan to get it fixed before it comes crashing down on you unexpectedly, it happened to me, The day before I was leaving for vacation. My only bathroom too.

Don't doublewides have at least 2 bathrooms these days?

Reactions: Franson

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Yes I am a contractor and that shower looks toast. The whole bath looks in disarray. As for the shower the wall that is wet is most likely an outside wall which means it has insulation. Likely wicking up water from various sources. Lots of mold to be found there.

It's time to hunker down and tear it apart. A complete bathroom gut and replacement can be done for around 5-10k$ depending on options. But theres lots you can do yourself to minimize costs. I.e. tearing it apart yourself before hiring a contractor

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
On the bright side you can get a new deeper tub (suggest Mirolin tubs), new drywall for the shower surround ( I suggest a product called denshield. It's waterproof on both sides and cuts easy like regular drywall) and just use green drywall for the rest of the bath. So denshield only for where the tiles go.

A new pressure regulated faucet in the shower. What this does is prevent you from freezing or boiling water in the shower when someone else in the house uses a water fixture.

New updated shower tiles, floor tiles, sink/vanity, toilet and a fresh paint job. If you own the home it can actually be a beneficial upgrade to home value

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad