I need help with anger problems on the ice.

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I've been ejected from a league and I've served in total 17 games in suspensions (through 4 seasons, a total of 40 games a season) from game misconducts because I just get too competitive.

How do you keep your cool on the ice?

TomWaits

Feb 27, 2002
couple of things. As a guy who has played allot of mens hockey here are a few pointers.

1) Change your frame of mind before you go on the ice.
2) Ask a respected teammate (in private) to keep an eye on you. If you play defense make him your partner.
3) Make it a rule not to talk back to the ref. Keep quiet after the play has stopped
4) Quit - if you cannot handle it quit before you hurt someone.

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
you're not getting paid to play. Being competitive is one thing but taking your day's anger out on other players is another.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
It's one thing to be competitive, it's another thing to be that one jerk out on the ice that everyone has played with, that thinks he's Terry O'Reilly.

Just go out there and have fun, if physical stuff happens then worry about it, but remember, you're out there to have fun.

Also, because I used to be somewhat like that, I learned to stay away from scrums, to finish your checks but don't be an ******* about it, and always be nice to the refs, regardless of how ****** a call they just made. It's not like they're ever going to overturn their call.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Gooosssphrabba. ;)

That made my day.

I don't get angry unless someone triggers it.

I'm over protective of our stars and when people piss me off I let them know.

It's just a problem but it gets alot of my team pumped up :yo:

I won't quit but I guess thinking before i act would be good.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I rarely get a penalty. I maybe get one a season. I don't try to be over aggressive with the pushing and shoving and if someone hits me I don't even look at him, I just keep going. That's the key, just keep playing no matter how much some ass hole is hitting you because if you're playing Beer league obviously there's no hitting. If they hit you then eventually they will get a penalty. If I get a penalty I just skate straight to the box, I don't even question it. The more you complain the more the refs will start to pick you out. Most rinks use the same refs all the time, so if you always yap at the refs they'll eventually know who you are and will start calling any little thing on you. I think that helps me, the refs don't know me, coupled with the fact that I'm a little guy (only 5'8") when I knock someone over they usually don't even call it.

But as I said, no matter what happens, just remember it's Beer league and if they go at you just keep going like nothing happened. Odds are if it was serious enough then they'll get the penalty and not you. Then your team will get a PP and they may score a goal and that's much sweeter revenge than you getting into a fight and getting thrown out while your team has to kill a 5 minute penalty.

If you're the kind of player that likes to yap your mouth at the other team, then do it, but don't act upon it. I love when the other team likes getting chippy and then some teammates will start ripping on them and then they'll do something stupid which means a powerplay for us.

Be Sean Avery not Donald Brashear ;)

Last edited:

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I never talk back.. I just get very physical.

Bertuzzi style maybe.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
It would probably help if we understood exactly what level you play at. 17 games out of 160 can be excessive or not that many depending on where you play. 17 games sounds like alot regardless of the level, but it really depends on the context. Also why you are getting suspended? What kind of penalties are you taking?

Getting thrown out for fighting in Juinors or College hockey can pump your team up, but getting thrown out for fighting in mens league is embarassing to you and your team unless something excessively dirty happens.

Just trying to understand what's going on before giving you advice.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA

Don't let anyone push your buttons like that.

Trust the refs to do their job. Every game should be a clean slate -- don't think that because there were missed calls last game that they are against you. They're there to keep things under control. If the other team's roughing up your stars without being called for it then (politely) talk to the officials -- note specific instances and tell them that you're willing to get suspended to protect your players IF the non-calls continue. But give them every chance to moderate the game before you take matters into your own hands.

Don't let anyone push your buttons like that. You punch an old lady in the parking lot and at least one moron is guaranteed to cheer you on. If you get suspended or ejected by the league your pumped up team won't pay for the games you can't play.

Good idea. :) Hockey is a really fast sport and much of the time (for me at least) a player is on automatic -- you re-act to what's happening because there's no time to think first. If you're conditioned to hit back when you get hit then you need to change your thinking. If someone hits you, you can laugh at him and say, "That the best you've got?" and put it back on him. Just play smart and remember to keep it fun.

dhasek3910

Sep 21, 2005
Edmonton, AB, Canada
I dont get called for any roughing penalties, and if anything I find myself more of an agitator. I have a lot of teammates that play really physical though. Lots of times it may be because of poor/missed calls by the ref, so the players try to take it into their own hands. Thats not the solution, because a blatant penalty will always be called. Losing your cool won't help your team if they're shorthanded. One of my teammates has been called for penalties in three games right at the end of a game when we've been down a goal, and essentially we've lost because we play a man down for the last 2 minutes and can't get anything started. You don't want to be the guy who "stuck up for your teammate", but also put them in a hole they can't climb out of.

The best way to react is just smile back at the guy and don't let him push your buttons or just keep playing. If someone mouths you off, try to keep your cool. If he sees that you don't respond, he will just get madder and madder, and might get a penalty. Thats how you help your team out, not from the box.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
That made my day.

Couple thing to consider:

It's a game, it's supposed to be fun.
The other guys, they probably have to get up and go to work at a real job the next day, they have families that depend on them. Do you really want to screw up another's livelyhood?
You're not in the NHL, you screw somebody up, you could go to jail.
If you won't entertain the thought of quitting, I'd say you have a problem. Get some real help before it's too late.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
You gotta grow up.

Yea this is pretty much the correct answer.

And if your playing in a adult league..then I would just quit. Grown men with real jobs don't need people taking cheap shots at them in a god damn beer league in which they play in for fun.

Last edited:

Humewasright

Jan 10, 2007
Make sure you're not drinking rum before the game. That was a big problem for a goalie on one of my teams. Lead the league in PIMs.

RangerSteve

Nothing wrong with being competitive, but keep it in perspective. You're not getting paid to play, YOU are paying to play. YOU along with your opponents and teammates have to get up for work the next day. What's the point in going AWOL on people? If you want to sing your song, go right ahead. I had a problem with opening my mouth too much when I was younger playing club/hs hockey. What is the ref going to do? Agree with you and switch the penalty? That'll never happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad