I need an update about the Devils 2015/16

slammer

Oct 28, 2010
Hessen
Hey guys,

I am finally focusing on the new season, but lost track the last weeks and months.

Can you help me in shortly giving me an update about the new players, who will play, who will go to the AHL...
How will our line-up look like? What`s it`s potential?

And, are the jersey numbers fixed (i saw eliteprospects.com giving the #13 to Cammalleri?)

Sorry that I do a new post for this - I thought it catches the most attention :)
Thanks!

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
My best Cliff's Notes on the offseason:

Draft: Pavel Zacha drafted at #6, might have the opportunity to crack the lineup immediately but most figure he'd benefit from another year of juniors. The picks acquired at the deadline for Jagr were used to trade for Kyle Palmieri from Anaheim.

Free agency: One of Shero's first signings was Russian forward Sergei Kalinin. No idea what kind of game he brings, but it seems like he'll be given a shot to crack the opening night roster. Shero also signed defenseman John Moore to round out the defense. Jim O'Brien was signed to compete for the 4th line center job. Dainius Zubrus was bought out relatively late in the offseason (after Larsson signed his deal before going to arbitration).

Number changes: Cammalleri got 13, Tootoo is now 22, and Gelinas switched to 44. Not sure if Moore selected a number yet.

Lineups: Defense seems somewhat set aside from whoever the 7th D is. Seems like a few forwards spots to be won. Stefan Matteau is no longer waiver exempt, so he will most likely be on the roster.

As of right now:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri
Elias-Henrique-?
Ruutu-Josefson-Tootoo
Matteau-O'Brien-Gionta

Competing for a spot: Boucher, Kalinin, Zacha, Coleman, Thompson

Greene-Larsson
Merrill-Severson
Gelinas-Moore

Competing for a spot: Helgeson, Hrabarenka

I wouldn't be surprised if the team acquired another veteran winger at some point.

slammer

Oct 28, 2010
Hessen
Thank you a LOT for this man!

Number changes: Cammalleri got 13, Tootoo is now 22, and Gelinas switched to 44. Not sure if Moore selected a number yet.
Why this?

Stefan Matteau is no longer waiver exempt, so he will most likely be on the roster.
What does this mean? He only has a one way contract now or what?

As of right now:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri
Elias-Henrique-?
Ruutu-Josefson-Tootoo
Matteau-O'Brien-Gionta

Competing for a spot: Boucher, Kalinin, Zacha, Coleman, Thompson
Who are Coleman and Thompson? Where does OBrien come from, what did we pay?

Greene-Larsson
Merrill-Severson
Gelinas-Moore

Competing for a spot: Helgeson, Hrabarenka
Where is Hrabarenka coming from? And Salv is out?!

Thanks again!!!!!

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
One-way and two-way deals have no effect on waivers. It is way more complicated and deals with games played and I believe the age a player signs a deal.

Hrabarenka has been in the AHL the last few years -- he was an unsigned free agent out of the CHL. Salvador was a free agent and is waiting till training camp to even decide if he wants to play.

Coleman was a 2010 draft pick who has been at Miami (OH) since. Thompson was a 26 year old free agent who lead Albany in goals with 27 and was fourth in the AHL I believe.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Thank you a LOT for this man!

Why this? {the number changes}

New regime, new rules. Cammalleri had always worn 13 going back to his days as a kid (he told a story about how he was the youngest kid on his team and had last pick of jersey numbers. 13 ended up being his be default and it stuck ever since.)

Tootoo wearing 22 for obvious reasons. Gelinas wore 44 as a junior player.

What does this mean? He only has a one way contract now or what?

He does have a one way contract, but even if he had a two way deal that wouldn't make him waiver exempt. Somebody like Jarred Tinordi signed a two way deal I believe, but he'd have to pass through waivers if Montreal tried to send him down.

Short answer: Matteau finished up his entry level deal is finished and with it his waiver exemption.

Who are Coleman and Thompson? Where does OBrien come from, what did we pay?

Coleman was a 2011 draft pick who played four years (and finished his college degree). So he's a bit older for a rookie; He'll be 24 in November. So Coleman might be more physically mature/NHL ready than say some other guys who are 20/21.

As Payce said, Joseph Blandisi might be in the mix as well. Blandisi was drafted by Colorado but didn't earn a contract. Then he had a huge overage year for Barrie and signed with the Devils. If I recall correctly he looked good at the summer prospect camp and vowed to crack the opening night roster. Might be tough with the center depth and he might have the typical adjustment period to the AHL.

O'Brien was a former first rounder (29th overall, 2007) of Ottawa's. He's bounced around since then including a stint in the KHL. O'Brien played under John Hynes with the US National Program as a teenager, so there's some familiarity there. O'Brien played for division foes of Hynes in the AHL in two of the last three seasons. The AHL has a division heavy schedule, so Hynes probably had a close look.

Thompson has a few years of AHL seasoning under his belt. Started with the Penguins organization and was signed by Albany last year. Led the A-Devs in goals with 33 and finished 2nd in the AHL behind Teemu Pulkkinen (34). Remains to be seen if he's NHL caliber. He was college teammates with Bobby Butler and I think Butler was thought to be the better player (and we had a glimpse of Butler in the NHL). But given our depth at RW, Thompson will probably get an extended look during preseason.

Where is Hrabarenka coming from? And Salv is out?!

Salvador remains unsigned. A couple weeks ago, there was an article where Salvador was hoping to play somewhere but realized it might be the end of the line for him.

Hrabarenka has three seasons with Albany. He got a game with the big club at the end of last season. I didn't see that game, but I seem to recall that people thought he looked decent enough.

Not sure if I'd rather have him as a 7th defenseman or getting regular time with Albany. I suppose they could periodically call up/send down Hrabarenka/Helgeson maybe Burlon as well.

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The finishing up his entry level deal being the reason Matteau now has to clear waivers is so wrong, even though it's a common misconception.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
For example, Matteau signing his deal at 18 means that he has 5 years of waiver eligibility or 160 games whichever he reaches first.

However, since he played more than 11 games in either his 18 or 19 year old season, the number of years is shrunk by two. When a player is older than 20, all professional games count inuding AHL and European leagues.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
For example, Matteau signing his deal at 18 means that he has 5 years of waiver eligibility or 160 games whichever he reaches first.

However, since he played more than 11 games in either his 18 or 19 year old season, the number of years is shrunk by two. When a player is older than 20, all professional games count inuding AHL and European leagues.

The finishing up his entry level deal being the reason Matteau now has to clear waivers is so wrong, even though it's a common misconception.

Thanks for the correction, I was too lazy to explain the ELC slide rules.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Something that has yet to be mentioned in this thread.

Cam Janssen signed in the UK!:laugh:

One of my personal favorite transactions was losing Tim Sestito to the KHL. Good ****in riddance!

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The good news is, I believe the sinking has finally been stabilized.

018-sinking-ship.jpg

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Nobody mentioned Lou is now the GM of Toronto. I'm sure Slammer may know this, but maybe not. So if not, big surprise :laugh:

slammer

Oct 28, 2010
Hessen
Tootoo wearing 22 for obvious reasons.
Sorry...but...WHY?^^

He does have a one way contract, but even if he had a two way deal that wouldn't make him waiver exempt. Somebody like Jarred Tinordi signed a two way deal I believe, but he'd have to pass through waivers if Montreal tried to send him down.

Short answer: Matteau finished up his entry level deal is finished and with it his waiver exemption.
Means: He can now be waived thus making him a player to deal with in the NHL. If he sucks, he gets send down? But he did play NHL Games already, right?

THANKS A LOT BRO!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad