I need a new stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke34e

Dec 7, 2004
I have been using a vector v110 for over a eyar now and its getting beat up. I have plenty of money and I'm ready to buy a new 1 piece. I have thought over a lot of them and I am open to ehar anyones opinion. What stick should I buy?

PockIsGoD

Apr 16, 2004
Sherbrooke, QC
I'll go with the Vector again, if you liked it, then don't change. But you could ''Upgrade'' to a V-120. The main difference is the grip offered on the V-120.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
luke34e said:
I have been using a vector v110 for over a eyar now and its getting beat up. I have plenty of money and I'm ready to buy a new 1 piece. I have thought over a lot of them and I am open to ehar anyones opinion. What stick should I buy?
I strongly dislike the Mission M-1. I used one and I absolutely hated it.

I recommend the Bauer Vapor XX or XXX when it comes out the 15th, ESPECIALLY if you're a finesse player. Bauer Vapor XX is the best one piece stick yet.

Whatever you do, don't buy a stealth. I bought one and broke it and I don't shoot particularly hard, sent it back and used my old Vapor XX that I had before. Broke the XX and bought a new one and it's great.

Habfansincebirth

Jul 15, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The Easton Stealth is the lightest, best performing and most expensive stick on the market. The only true one piece. The first batches produced had some problems with breaking at the top of the shaft and near the blade. (not uncommon with new technology.) The problems were recognised and fixed, so that new batches are much more durable.

I like the original Synergy (Silver), overall a great stick. You can also get the Grip or Si core versions, But I like the regular model best.

If you want value, try the Synthesis 2 piece. It performs like a Synergy, but if it breaks, you just have to replace the broken part.

I am biased towards Easton product, because they are the best made.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Habfansincebirth said:
The Easton Stealth is the lightest, best performing and most expensive stick on the market. The only true one piece. The first batches produced had some problems with breaking at the top of the shaft and near the blade. (not uncommon with new technology.) The problems were recognised and fixed, so that new batches are much more durable.

I like the original Synergy (Silver), overall a great stick. You can also get the Grip or Si core versions, But I like the regular model best.

If you want value, try the Synthesis 2 piece. It performs like a Synergy, but if it breaks, you just have to replace the broken part.

I am biased towards Easton product, because they are the best made.
I used to believe so as I always used Easton sticks.

I had one of the first stealths ever made right when they came out, and it broke at the top of the shaft when I came into contact with another player on the 30th day of the warranty.

I don't think the stealth is the best performing stick. You can rip wrist shots, but slap shots IMO suffer because of the weight reduction. That's why I like my XX better. I think the ideal weight for a stick is 420 grams. I'm interested in trying a Bauer Vapor XXX stick eventually. The stealth was very expensive too, but after I got the second one back from the company, it was constructed differently and I don't shoot as well. To profit most, you need really strong wrists. My wrists and forearms aren't that strong and IMO one timers are bad with the stealth unless you have forearms like a pro and can hold the stick steady through the shot. It is not stable like a heavier stick is. The Vapor XX is light enough for me. I used to have the original grip synergies (2 of them in a row), then I got a Si-Core, which was great. I broke it and got a Vapor XX and it was awesome. Then I got a stealth and then another XX. The stealth is now sitting in my room and has only been used for like 3 shots in warmup of practice. Like I am a forward and a goal scoring player. LIke I avoid traffic and find the open holes. I'm not a powerforward and I'm really light at 155 and 6'0 (just turned 16) and you'd think the stealth'd be the ideal stick for me as I did, but the Vapor XX is a much better stick unless you're a top level player. I play the highest midget travel hockey in Florida FWIW, so I'm no slouch, but I even like the Synergy Grips way more than the stealth due to the weight problems. Also, for when I penalty kill, if you swat at the puck with one hand, the stealth is so light that it gets under the puck and doesn't propell it where you want it to go. Also, on Faceoffs, as I am a center, I usually win about 80% and with the stealth, it dropped to about 50-60%. Also, when other players pressure your stick, with the stealth, you have to use all of your strenght to overcome that, while with the XX, you can use some of the weight. All in all, unless you're a junior hockey player, top AAA player, or pro, I don't recommend the stealth.

cstu

May 6, 2004
If you're feeling a little adventurous, give one of the Innovative OPS a try. Innovative is a lesser known name in the hockey stick world, but for years they have been making sticks for some of the bigger companies in the industry. The 1100 and Novius models come in a variety of flexes and grips, and I believe most places are clearing out the True One model. In fact, i've heard a few times that the new Bauer XXX stick is just going to be the Innovative True One with a different paint job. Other than Innovative, i'd suggest giving the TPS XN10 a go.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
cds said:
In fact, i've heard a few times that the new Bauer XXX stick is just going to be the Innovative True One with a different paint job.

No. Unless they've completely changed the True1. innovative makes really nice sticks though. Brett Hull, Sergei Fedorov, and Alexei Kovalev and Mogilny all have used Innovative. Several NHL players use them. They're good. I almost bought one but instead got a XX and man was I glad I did.

IkeaMonkey*

PanthersRule said:
No. Unless they've completely changed the True1. innovative makes really nice sticks though. Brett Hull, Sergei Fedorov, and Alexei Kovalev and Mogilny all have used Innovative. Several NHL players use them. They're good. I almost bought one but instead got a XX and man was I glad I did.

The Innovative true-1, IS the Bauer XXX. He was right.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
HokEGoalie said:
The Innovative true-1, IS the Bauer XXX. He was right.
REALLY??? :amazed:

I thought the release of the XXX was delayed, now that they're advertising for the XX with the stick and the XXX with everything else.

Did Bauer take over innovative? Man, I kinda like the True1, but I liked the XX better.

Where did you hear this or where do you know this from???

I'm quite shocked that this is true.

I wouldn't be surprised though, if the Vapor XXX was like the same skate as the XX, only slight changes.

They just released the XX gloves in like April, and they've already released the XXX's when the XX's were a huge success. I have no idea why other than they want more money maybe. There's very little difference. They said the XXX's are lighter and stuff, but the XX's are superlight.

IkeaMonkey*

PanthersRule said:
Where did you hear this or where do you know this from???.

Various shop owners and a rep. The most credible was Philbrick's Sports/Hockey.com who are based in Dover NH, about a 15 minute drive from Greenland/Bauer HQ and Philbrick's is a pretty large Bauer/Nike dealer.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
HokEGoalie said:
Various shop owners and a rep. The most credible was Philbrick's Sports/Hockey.com who are based in Dover NH, about a 15 minute drive from Greenland/Bauer HQ and Philbrick's is a pretty large Bauer/Nike dealer.
I've actually heard the same as HoKEGoalie....my manager and I were talking with the our Bauer Rep and he basically said the same thing...albeit, not in the exact words, but we were asking him questions on the XXX gear

cstu

May 6, 2004
I actually read it on the Mod Squad Hockey boards. Good place to check out if you want to know anything about hockey gear........the guys there are very knowledgeable.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
There is a new brand of sticks out there, called the Rhino Evolution, it goes for about $170 and is really light and performs very well. I have heard that the Owner of this Rhino company is the same person who helped create the Synergy but was later laid off.

Habfansincebirth

Jul 15, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
bleedgreen said:
innovative makes a true one piece and have for over 2 years.

Are you sure about that? I can't argue, but I do know that the Stealth is the only true one piece that Easton makes, and that they invested heavily in the R& D to create a true one piece. That's why it costs so much.

Regardless. Nobody needs a composite stick unless you are a elite level player. If you must have one and want value, get a 2 piece stick (ie: Synthesis).

IkeaMonkey*

Habfansincebirth said:
Are you sure about that? I can't argue, but I do know that the Stealth is the only true one piece that Easton makes, and that they invested heavily in the R& D to create a true one piece. That's why it costs so much.

Regardless. Nobody needs a composite stick unless you are a elite level player. If you must have one and want value, get a 2 piece stick (ie: Synthesis).

Yes, the True-1 has been out a couple years.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
luke34e said:
so what should i get
Well:

Best performing stick for value: Original Silver Synergy
Most durable and solid performing stick: Sythesis
Best Performing stick in terms of overall IMO: Bauer Vapor XX (yes, way way better than a Stealth and I have a stealth that I do not use and it has been used 1 time in warmup after getting the new one back from the company.

IkeaMonkey*

PanthersRule said:
Well:

Best performing stick for value: Original Silver Synergy
Most durable and solid performing stick: Sythesis
Best Performing stick in terms of overall IMO: Bauer Vapor XX (yes, way way better than a Stealth and I have a stealth that I do not use and it has been used 1 time in warmup after getting the new one back from the company.

In no possible way is a synthesis the most durable shaft. TPS Rubber, M-2 and the Vector shafts are all FAR more durable than a synthesis. Unlike the synthesis, they also fit any standard blade.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
HokEGoalie said:
In no possible way is a synthesis the most durable shaft. TPS Rubber, M-2 and the Vector shafts are all FAR more durable than a synthesis. Unlike the synthesis, they also fit any standard blade.
I meant that if you break the blade it is designed to replace it.

The response is the most durable 1 piece stick, but I have never ever like them.

IkeaMonkey*

PanthersRule said:
I meant that if you break the blade it is designed to replace it.

The response is the most durable 1 piece stick, but I have never ever like them.

You mean like when you break a synergy and use it as a shaft?? Still, a broken M-1and Vector is far more durable than a synergy when it comes to cutting then using as a shaft.

The response are twigs. I had 3 of them and snapped each within a week of use.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
HokEGoalie said:
You mean like when you break a synergy and use it as a shaft?? Still, a broken M-1and Vector is far more durable than a synergy when it comes to cutting then using as a shaft.

The response are twigs. I had 3 of them and snapped each within a week of use.

I was talking about the synthesis. You break a synergy and have to turn it upside down. With the synthesis, you just take the blade out if it's broken.

I have only every used the following sticks:

Mission M-1
Easton Synergy (2001)
Easton Synergy Si-Core
Bauer Vapor XX (2)
Easton Stealth (the original batch and now I have a second batch one)

The best sticks are the Vapor XX's of the list above IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad