I miss the 2010-11 leafs, and maca-grabo-kuli line

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
I would accept everything but Bozo > Grabo.
Grabo was an inferior skater and he was carrying the puck all the way deep in the offensive zone. Some people here will just say he was puck addicted, but as a center it's your job to clear the zone. He was exceptionally good at that.

Grabo was actually an excellent skater. Not sure why you think he wasn't.

ungentrified

Jan 18, 2013
Yes, I sure do miss the fact that the end of 2010 seemed like one of the lowest points of being a Leafs fan, when the biggest highlights were disgruntled fans tossing waffles and vandalizing Versteeg's car.

The season may have ended on a high note (especially after we acquired Lupul and Gardiner) but we were already out of playoffs contention by November.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
How can anyone miss the 2010-2011 edition of the Leafs?

Well in all fairness the 2010-11 team only finished 9th from the bottom of the league while the 2009-10 team finished 2nd last while the 2011-12 team finished 5th last. So 2010-11 was the best of the Burke Era of his assembled teams.

But in terms of the trio in question Grabs and Kulemin where inherited players and both had career years offensively and nearly help push the Leafs out of the bottom 10 overall. Kulemin 30 goals and Grabs 29 goals offensive were the bright spots of a not very good team.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Well in all fairness the 2010-11 team only finished 9th from the bottom of the league while the 2009-10 team finished 2nd last while the 2011-12 team finished 5th last. So 2010-11 was the best of the Burke Era of his assembled teams.

But in terms of the trio in question Grabs and Kulemin where inherited players and both had career years offensively and nearly help push the Leafs out of the bottom 10 overall. Kulemin 30 goals and Grabs 29 goals offensive were the bright spots of a not very good team.

I'd argue that last year was still technically a "Burke era" team. The only thing Burke didn't add last season was McLaren.

Oct 18, 2010
People were saying grabovski is better than kessel back then. :laugh:

Just like Ian White, Carl Gunnarsson, Jake Gardiner, Morgan Rielly, and Cody Franson were better than Phaneuf. Forgive me if I missed someone

Oct 18, 2010
someone else think that this thread was brought up so people can rip randy and applaud grabo more?

man if people miss him so much, go watch that run and gun team in Washington. not directed to the OP, but it's getting annoying now.

grabos team cant score without the powerplay that he got removed from

SteveV*

Kessel was on the 2010-11 team too, perhaps we should dump him? Same logic. Guys kill me.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
grabos team cant score without the powerplay that he got removed from

Fun fact:

Chimera+Grabovski+Ward have 11 ES goals between them, the same number as Ovechkin+Backstrom+Johansson.

Grabovski leads his team in +/- as well. He's really the least of their worries and was a great pickup for the Caps. I don't see why they wouldnt try to re-sign him, he's easily their second best centre. They'll have to give him a raise though if the rest of his season is like the first 18 games.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Reimer was top 10 in save percentage leaders last year. Reimer wasn't a Burke player, Gustavsson, Giguere, Scrivens were Burke players though.

But Gustavsson and Giguere were let go underneath the Burke reign, and everyone knew the Leafs were going with a Reimer - Scrivens tandem.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Fun fact:

Chimera+Grabovski+Ward have 11 ES goals between them, the same number as Ovechkin+Backstrom+Johansson.

Grabovski leads his team in +/- as well. He's really the least of their worries and was a great pickup for the Caps. I don't see why they wouldnt try to re-sign him, he's easily their second best centre. They'll have to give him a raise though if the rest of his season is like the first 18 games.

Grabo - 3rd worst corsi relative of the caps' forwards.

but I guess corsi doesn't matter anymore.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

That's what I get from the guys that say our team is doing just great and Corsi is useless. Funny thing they many of the same people that will probably use Corsi against Grabo a week from now.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
You miss the 29th ranked PK, Wilson lead, Gustavsson/Giguere/Reimer (at the time was a huge enigma) defensive triage, terrible defense and non-playoff making Leafs? LOL! Thanks for the laugh I needed that.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I'm more interested in what works in todays NHL and winning games.

I mean I loved Sergei Berezin's end-to-end rushes as a kid but if I saw a current leaf attempt to play the same way I boo him off the ice.

lol I was a huge Berezin fan too back then but if he played today I'd tell that bum to get off the ice and pass the ****in' puck as he goes. Man he was the biggest of puck hogs. A true candidate for tunnel vision.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That's what I get from the guys that say our team is doing just great and Corsi is useless. Funny thing they many of the same people that will probably use Corsi against Grabo a week from now.

You know what Nonis thinks about analytics, I saw your conversation with Mirtle, Skinnyfish aka SkinnyPilgrim. 2 peas in pod.

James Mirtle‏@mirtle2h
Dave Nonis on these new stats the fans/media keep bringing up: "As of right now, very few of them are worth anything to us."

James Mirtle‏@mirtle2h
Nonis says he likes looking at "hard stats" like ice time, goals, assists, points. Biggest thing they use is "going to watch a player play."

Nonis says analytics are big topic b/c fans and media. Adds they invent their own stats. "Is it relevant? That's where it's getting murky."

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Kessel was on the 2010-11 team too, perhaps we should dump him? Same logic. Guys kill me.

It's not the same logic at all :laugh:

Grabo and Mac's roles and contributions to the team declined coincidentally in the year that the team was winning and earning a playoff spot. Neither are no longer on the team yet the team is finding ways to win and getting offense.

Grabo and Mac aren't even in the same category as Kessel when it comes to contribution. Kessel finds ways to produce. He is the picture of reliability in terms of doing what he's expected to do. It didn't matter who he was put with, the guy could score goals and make plays. Unlike Grabo and Mac, when the team was finding success, Kessel's role didn't diminish, it actually matured. He's never going to be a big two way force on the ice but he showed a lot of growth as an all around player last year and was huge for the team all throughout the Boston series.

The difference is that as the team was winning, Kessel found ways to be better (all the while putting up the numbers we expect from him) while Grabo and Mac struggled across the board.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008

Says one of the homers that thinks the leafs' shot differential doesnt matter? Youre really stooping quite low to find somethings to criticize :laugh:

But how about i humour you? Grabovskis corsi rating would put him at number one on the leafs amongst players with at least 10gp. His quality of competition is third amongst caps forwards and fourth overall.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wow really? Any Leafs fan who misses something as mediocre as the Grabo/MacArthur/Kulemin line must not have experienced any Leaf success in their lives.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Says one of the homers that thinks the leafs' shot differential doesnt matter? Youre really stooping quite low to find somethings to criticize :laugh:

But how about i humour you? Grabovskis corsi rating would put him at number one on the leafs amongst players with at least 10gp. His quality of competition is third amongst caps forwards and fourth overall.

And where's Washington in the standings in relation to the team with all those ****** Leafs again?

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Wow really? Any Leafs fan who misses something as mediocre as the Grabo/MacArthur/Kulemin line must not have experienced any Leaf success in their lives.

A line that scores 80 goals is mediocre? News to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->