I miss the 2010-11 leafs, and maca-grabo-kuli line

immortalNL

Jun 7, 2011
Saskatoon
Regardless of the fact that we weren't a very good team, I think I thoroughly enjoyed watching that team, and especially the macarthur-grabo-kulemin line.

It was definitely frustrating to not make the playoffs but I remember that 2010-2011 season was a really enjoyable year and the up-tempo ron wilson style of hockey made for some really interesting games with tons of lost leads and comebacks. Even the "have the puck on your stick instead of the other team" approach to defense and the man-to-man coverage led to entertaining hockey. I really wish more teams with that offensive run-and-gun style could be successful so we'd see more of that in the league.

Also, I remember that season was also Reimer's first season when he came in in January and we made a pretty good run. I think we were only 3 points out at some point in late March. Anyway, I also remember Ron Wilson's 600th career win where Reimer won his fourth or fifth straight and made like 40+ saves against San Jose that night, and Kessel's 10 goal drought was in there somewhere as well.

All I'm saying is that that season seemed to be quite exciting and even the first half of the 2011-12 season when we were in the playoffs and playing well. Up until the "18-wheeler" that was a fun season too with lots of exciting hockey. Compared to this year where I don't think the games are nearly as exciting.

boller4president

Nov 5, 2013
I'm more interested in what works in todays NHL and winning games.

I mean I loved Sergei Berezin's end-to-end rushes as a kid but if I saw a current leaf attempt to play the same way I boo him off the ice.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Judging by posts I read on this board every day, you aren't the only one who misses losing...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
And they played some parts last arson together.

Now 2/3 of the line is gone. We kept the useful one. Replaced the other two with better players (Raymond, Bolland)

Mapleleafs Fan*

I would accept everything but Bozo > Grabo.
Grabo was an inferior skater and he was carrying the puck all the way deep in the offensive zone. Some people here will just say he was puck addicted, but as a center it's your job to clear the zone. He was exceptionally good at that.

SteveV*

Yes I miss spending 70 percent of their time in other teams end too, but anyways Randy knows all....

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yes I miss spending 70 percent of their time in other teams end too, but anyways Randy knows all....

Randy believes in addition by subtraction, subtract skill replace with less skill = upgrade.

Doesn't work anywhere in life.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
Ya that was their fault. :shakehead

I'm not saying it was their fault, but really they were a one year wonder. All three of MacA, Grabo, and Kule put up 55+ point seasons that year, with MacA hitting 60. All three put up 20+ goals, and Kulemin put up 30. Since? 1 50pt season (Grabo in 11/12), and 2 20 goal seasons (MacA+Grabo in 11/12).

Face it. We're a better TEAM now. We kept the one useful piece of that line in Kulemin, and dumped the other two in favour of superior players in Bolland and Clarkson.

I have no use for players that don't try, and MacA and Grabo used to disappear for that very reason, never a lack of talent but that they simply didnt put out the effort.

SteveV*

I'm not saying it was their fault, but really they were a one year wonder. All three of MacA, Grabo, and Kule put up 55+ point seasons that year, with MacA hitting 60. All three put up 20+ goals, and Kulemin put up 30. Since? 1 50pt season (Grabo in 11/12), and 2 20 goal seasons (MacA+Grabo in 11/12).

Face it. We're a better TEAM now. We kept the one useful piece of that line in Kulemin, and dumped the other two in favour of superior players in Bolland and Clarkson.

I have no use for players that don't try, and MacA and Grabo used to disappear for that very reason, never a lack of talent but that they simply didnt put out the effort.

The fact you actually said Grabo didn't try renders your opinion useless :). Have a good one :help:

Mapleleafs Fan*

You never kick your no. 1 center for 1 season and promote your 3rd line center to become the 1st. That's the thing we are missing this year. Give Grabo the defense and goal tending we have this year and see the difference. His scoring ability was by far the best after Kessel's. Grabo always scored having defensemen around him that's not as easy as it seems.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You never kick your no. 1 center for 1 season and promote your 3rd line center to become the 1st. That's the thing we are missing this year. Give Grabo the defense and goal tending we have this year and see the difference. His scoring ability was by far the best after Kessel's. Grabo always scored having defensemen around him that's not as easy as it seems.

You noticed this :) to bad others here lack the appreciation.

Avec Fromage*

Games were more entertaining then. They usually are on all offence all the time type of teams. But I don't miss the 8-0 blowouts against Boston.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Isn't this the season, where we played a great game and often lost?

Yep, I miss the we played great, ran into hot goalie, and lost refrain.

We were so good we were bad.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
The fact you actually said Grabo didn't try renders your opinion useless :). Have a good one :help:

Oh cmon you can't argue that Grabo didn't disappear for games at a time just like MacArthur. I like Grabo, I'd have much rather kept him than Bozak, but thats the truth. He had games where he simply looked completely uninterested in playing hockey.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Good lord, we finally become a good team, and fans are pining for the bad old days again.

This thread is bizarre.

Leafs fans are like battered wives, pining for their wifebeater ex-husband, even when they've remarried someone much nicer, richer, and better looking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad