I just paid off the last debt remaining of my student loans

member 157595

Hey, super glad it worked out for you. I just see the experience my wife and her three sisters have gone through, each accruing at least 80k in debt to get masters degrees - and I make more than all of them (working in tech) with my associates. It's pretty messed up, imo.

Stoked you're getting paid to do what you like though. That's worth it if it worked out.

I have an Ivy League degree and a M.S. I use very little of what I learned in college in my current job and if I hadn't had met my future wife as an undergrad it would have been a complete almost $200K waste of money. College (especially private school) is not only not for everyone, it's very often a freaking scam. There are obvious exceptions for medical school, law school, etc, but there's thousands upon thousands of useless degrees and mountains of debt that help no one except student loan companies.

I also work in tech, and anyone that is looking to get into software engineering needs to get into the workforce ASAP. Avoid excessive debt, save your money, put as much as you can into retirement and let compound interest do its thing.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

member 157595

TIL Ivy League graduates post on HFboards.mandatory.com

Trust me, I'm not intending to brag in any way. I'm not proud of it at all. 4 years of complete HELL.

The only reason I'm not even more bitter is that I have a family because I attended that place. For that reason, I'd do it all again. But that is the only reason.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Damn grandpa twas a different time, im glad I can now help fix the economy you ruined, probably had something to do with giving idiots like yourself that amount of money straight out of college (which im calling BS)

Fix whatever you want, I have my money and it will continue to pour in my bank while you're the sucker who keeps paying more and more for school :laugh:. You let me know how living in a $700 apartment a month still at 45 years old does for you though. At least you'll have those cool diplomas right?

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Is the grown man who lives in mommys basement saying something? The jealous ones make me giggle inside.

Sep 19, 2008
I mean I'm trying to be nice but everything you say is so unbelievable that it could not possibly be true. No offense.

I'm sure you can understand why people would naturally out of human instinct call your posts into question. Because they are often out of the realm of the possible. Listen to yourself. You are claiming you made millions off cryptocurrency, a fad that has already started to burst. How stupid do you really think we are?

Sep 19, 2008
If you made all that money 3 years after college tell us what you did. Did you lose it all when the crypto bubble burst? :laugh: Pray tell.

GreggT

Jun 26, 2020
I borrowed $105k, owe about $115k now. Graduated 2 years ago and was making $36k right out of college. I now make $61.5k. I expect that $61.5k to be about $85-95k before bonus in about 3-5 years...if I'm able to pass the CPA exam. With this new income my budget today is on track to pay it in 8 years but that could all change!
I've looked into getting another part time job (I already work full time) to pay it off, but I can't find a schedule that would work. I'm married with 2 kids under 2 years old and my wife works full time, so our schedules are already packed. Credit cards getting paid off very slowly.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->