I just noticed...

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The Coyotes now have Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver as division rivals. This isn't the first time this has happened however.

While the team was still the Winnipeg Jets, they shared a division with those 3 for over a decade. The Jets had intense rivalries with those 3 as well.

With these 4 teams reunited in the Pacific Division, do you think these rivalries will regain the intensity that was there in the Winnipeg era?

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
The Coyotes now have Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver as division rivals. This isn't the first time this has happened however.

While the team was still the Winnipeg Jets, they shared a division with those 3 for over a decade. The Jets had intense rivalries with those 3 as well.

With these 4 teams reunited in the Pacific Division, do you think these rivalries will regain the intensity that was there in the Winnipeg era?

They would probably have to meet those teams in the playoffs quite a few times for a mutual hatred to really build up, but yeah it's possible.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
They would probably have to meet those teams in the playoffs quite a few times for a mutual hatred to really build up, but yeah it's possible.

Agree with this, but I have noticed the EDM games have gotten chippier and chippier the past couple years.

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
Who knows? Right now it's hard to be anything but indifferent about those teams though. So harmless. I'm glad they're in this division to soften up what otherwise is a bit too stacked for my taste.

JTPoni23

Dec 26, 2012
Barrie, Ontario
I'm Canadian and don't live in BC so I'm obligated to hate the Canucks.

Other than that, as mentioned above the physicality in Yotes/Oilers games has been escalating. The Hall slash, Hanzal on Hall, DeMo on Yakupov etc...I like it as I hate the Oilers as well.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
We discussed something like this in a previous thread. Edmonton and Vancouver both have the best shot at overtaking the Glendale Lakers as our arch rival but the majority still say they hate the Manhattan Beach Angels by a wide margin.

DirtDogMesa

STH Sec 208 Row A
Oct 10, 2011
Mesa
Who knows? Right now it's hard to be anything but indifferent about those teams though. So harmless. I'm glad they're in this division to soften up what otherwise is a bit too stacked for my taste.

Whoa there, historical numbers say different, I've gone home many a night dejected from games against these foes. I believe the last couple seasons the Flames are up on us and just recently we starting to have success against the Oilers. Until lately I've been nervous playing both teams. Calgary uniforms (white) always reminds me of astronaut suits and are sharp and intimidating. GO COYOTES

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
Whoa there, historical numbers say different, I've gone home many a night dejected from games against these foes. I believe the last couple seasons the Flames are up on us and just recently we starting to have success against the Oilers. Until lately I've been nervous playing both teams. Calgary uniforms (white) always reminds me of astronaut suits and are sharp and intimidating. GO COYOTES

You're right about that. I didn't really mean the games against them though, even though I'm confident the Coyotes have done better, and more importantly will do better, against the Alberta teams than against the rest of the pacific division. What I primarily had in mind with my original post was that they're not a threat in the standings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad