I have some questions about the 98-99 team...

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I was ten/eleven at the time so I don't trust my own opinions but hoping someone on this forum can help me with the following questions:

1. I'm assuming Dallas was the favorite but was the series even supposed to be close?
2. Who in particular didn't show up during that playoff run that was supposed to?
3. My memory may be foggy but I tend to think Zhitnik was pretty good that whole run, is this correct? I remember him using the hip checks and playing the PP pretty well...
4. Was Peca as good as advertised during that run?
5. Lastly, why did Satan miss so many games in the playoffs?

I know it's a bit odd but I have my dad/step-dad to go to for the earlier games and yet no real good recollection of the last time we played for the cup...if anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated. Any additional insight is also welcome!

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
http://sabreshockeycentral.com/2011/10/19/flashback-roster-analysis-1998-99/

A pretty good summary article on that season, in the reflective sense.

Peca was as good as advertised IMO (or as good as you heard, whatever proper terminology is there)

SHS (Miro, Holzinger, Geoff) solid line that year.

McKee was my main man that season!!!

Sanderson's 1 handed breakaway goal vs Toronto while being hooked from behind is one of my favorite goals of all time. Tucked it 5 hole like Gerbe on a fan in the front row.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
http://sabreshockeycentral.com/2011/10/19/flashback-roster-analysis-1998-99/

A pretty good summary article on that season, in the reflective sense.

Peca was as good as advertised IMO (or as good as you heard, whatever proper terminology is there)

SHS (Miro, Holzinger, Geoff) solid line that year.

McKee was my main man that season!!!

Thanks! I hate putting threads like these on the forum when current affairs are deemed more important but I really love learning more about the team before I can totally recollect and I'm 24. I'm sure a lot of the younger posters could learn a thing or two as well.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
1. I'm assuming Dallas was the favorite but was the series even supposed to be close?
2. Who in particular didn't show up during that playoff run that was supposed to?
3. My memory may be foggy but I tend to think Zhitnik was pretty good that whole run, is this correct? I remember him using the hip checks and playing the PP pretty well...

1. Dallas was pretty stacked, but the Sabres were pretty hot that postseason, and the PP was hot at the right time (scored a PP goal in 15 straight games).
2. Everyone showed up. That was the beauty of it. From Peca to Brown to Rassmussen, from Zhitnik to Smehlik to Woolley and McKee.
3. Z and Smehlik were great, and Z and Woolley were fantastic offensively, but the real gem was the Warrener-McKee pairing.
4. Better.
5. Injured. And it was awful timing, as a 100% healthy Satan might've been the difference. That, and refs actually following the rules on the Hull goal.

That Woolley OT game 1 goal is still my favorite all-time hockey moment.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Peca's coming out of the penalty box and demolishing Tie Domi with a fantastic hit remains one of the things that stand out most to me.

And I remember the moment I believed the Sabres could really win it all - when they won Game 1 of the ECF with Marty Biron in net, and even Rob Ray scored a goal.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I was ten/eleven at the time so I don't trust my own opinions but hoping someone on this forum can help me with the following questions:

I know it's a bit odd but I have my dad/step-dad to go to for the earlier games and yet no real good recollection of the last time we played for the cup...if anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated. Any additional insight is also welcome!

1. Dallas was a favorite
2. Everyone was playing at or above their level; although you could have hoped for more from Juneau. (damn RPI)
3. " "
4. Better, particular during the ECF; he was a demon on the ice. Though by the SCF it looked like he lost nearly 20 lbs
5. Injured

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Peca's coming out of the penalty box and demolishing Tie Domi with a fantastic hit remains one of the things that stand out most to me.

And I remember the moment I believed the Sabres could really win it all - when they won Game 1 of the ECF with Marty Biron in net, and even Rob Ray scored a goal.

Biron was not in net. Roloson. Hasek injured. Thanks for coming out. Leafs blew that game. That Sabres team was carried by Hasek most of the year. Hasek spoiled us for all other goalies.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012

Was Dwayne Roloson in net. Great game. In fact most of that series was amazing. I would absolutely love another Buf v Tor series.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
Biron was not in net. Roloson. Hasek injured. Thanks for coming out. Leafs blew that game. That Sabres team was carried by Hasek most of the year. Hasek spoiled us for all other goalies.

Satan 40/26/66
Peca 27/29/56
Grosek 20/30/50

That's your top 3 scoring. 5 players on the entire roster with over 35 points. Was that the year Hasek had like 8 shutouts in December? Reminds me of a save on Lemieux that the refs had to come over and check his glove because they didn't believe he stopped it.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Was Dwayne Roloson in net. Great game. In fact most of that series was amazing. I would absolutely love another Buf v Tor series.

Oh, that's right.

I just remember a lot of people writing off the Sabres' chances without Hasek, and they came out and blew the doors off the Leafs with the backup in net.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Gutsy, hard working, inspiring hockey. Big underdogs in the media's eyes. I'd already moved from Buffalo at that point (and pre-internet boards time for me) so my recollection is probably different from the guys in WNY. Some predicted we would be swept and I don't remember anyone saying we had a real chance heading into the series with Dallas. No true dominant, NHL-wide recognized superstars other than Hasek for Buffalo. Stars were 51-19-12 in the regular season and stacked: Belfour, Modano, Hull, Nieuwendyk, Zubov, Hatcher (pre-rule changes that turned him into a pylon days), and Keane+Carbonneau (each playing for his 3rd cup). Great run for us (and I concur on the Peca hit on Domi). Peca was not a huge guy but man he was tough as nails (one of my favorite Sabres from my viewing days).

Edit: can't get the link to work for some reason in HF. Here is the site:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUURyBlnFrg

Last edited by a moderator:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Some predicted we would be swept and I don't remember anyone saying we had a real chance heading into the series with Dallas.

Another thing to keep in mind was that the late 90s was an era of sweeps and Western Conference dominance.

Prior to 99, the previous four Stanley Cup Finals in a row had all been 4-0 sweeps, with the victor in the final three of those being the Western conference team.

Before the Buffalo-Dallas series, the last Finals that wasn't a sweep was NYR-Vancouver in 1994.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I remember the Sabres hitting the crossbar on a shot from the point in that game 6 OT.

Ugh.

I remember that well. Sitting on the couch at my Aunt's and Uncle's house, watching it with the whole family. My sweet mother yells out "****!" Only time she ever swore, in my presence, was during Sabres games or Bills games.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
A key contributor for the early part of that run was Jason Woolley as he keyed the powerplay. The PP warmed up and provided timely goals to counterpoint Hasek's stellar goaltending and the general defensive nature of the team. By the finals though, the Stars figured out how to shut it down and without it, the Sabres didn't have the offensive horses to run with 'em.

Ah, the days of 56k dialup modems...

minuteater

does not cohmpeet
Apr 28, 2010
Buffalo
Sanderson's 1 handed breakaway goal vs Toronto while being hooked from behind is one of my favorite goals of all time. Tucked it 5 hole like Gerbe on a fan in the front row.
I just uploaded this since I had a really ****** quicktime clip of it and couldn't find one on youtube:

ManuelCalavera

La-La-La-Locked Out
Apr 7, 2003
Rochester, NY
Visit site
I remember the Sabres hitting the crossbar on a shot from the point in that game 6 OT.

Ugh.

Jeep. I always think of that moment when I see him. And I see him every Sabres game.

I seem to remember Peca's stickblade getting caught in the boards at a critical moment during those playoffs; it eventually lead to a goal against. Anyone remember when that happened? Or was that against the Pens in 2001?

Last edited:

Circusboy39

Jul 31, 2007
Ahh '99.

Sanderson had an amazing goal in the finals too where he appeared to be pulling his patented "blow straight down the wing by everyone and then wind up for a half hour for the big slapper at the top of the circles"...and for the only time I ever remember he pulled it down when Belfour came way out of the crease to challenge and tucked it around him into the empty net. God bless Geoff Sanderson.

The thing I remember most about that run was how the team hit. They were just pounding teams into submission. Varada, Peca, Rasmussen, Brown, Satan, Dixon, Primeau, Holzinger, Juneau, the D, Cunnyworth had a big hit I remember when they put him in...that team top to bottom during that run laid the body like no team I can remember. They pounded teams into turnovers and when they got them had the wheels to make teams pay in transition. I also remember thinking, after the Ottawa series of course - that was all Dom, how amazing it was that Hasek wasn't totally carrying us as was the norm. Not until Dallas at least, then it was back to all Dom again. The guys fought so hard though.

My other fond memory from that run was Stu Barnes. We got him at the deadline for Barnaby and the guy almost instantly got so many chances but didn't bury any of them, not one. He didn't score during the end of the regular season, not during the first round, not during the second round, and then in the middle of the Leafs series - BOOM - he gets one on the PP and then he goes off. Starts scoring left and right. Haha it was awesome, LOVED that part.

Like what has already been said - everyone stepped up, literally it was a different guy every night, and it was a super easy team to love. I still remember Juneau talking after the last game about how it was his favorite locker room he'd been in, and how he couldn't believe they'd lost, and how loose the team was - during the OT intermission before the Hull goal they were all talking turns in the room describing what they were going to do when they scored the game winner. Sigh...

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I remember Dallas staying at one of the Hotels outside the city along the River and complaining of people blowing their boat horns outside the Hotel all throughout the night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad