I have seen the future, and his name is AO

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
CUBErt said:
What does this have to do with anything? Just in case you've gotten lost, we're on the o-l-y-m-p-i-c hockey board. Adding stuff concerning the olympics to the Ovechkin/Crosby thread wouldn't be very fair now would it? Seeing as Sidney wasn't good enou... uh, the Canadian team (that lost to Russia) was so unbelievably tough to get on.
So to make things real simple: This is where the lovefest concerning Ovechkins play at the olympics takes place. Still problematic to you?

^Shows level of intelligence

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Goldark said:
Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.

That was funny. AO vs. Crosby, let's discuss it then. I'm sure you won't want to though because it's "overdone" right? The funny part is people would be shocked when I actually gave credit to AO since he is very, very good. I have to be 100% on Crosby's side though don't I?

shawn_kemp*

Jesus, Crosby isn't even playing in the Olympics and we still got a brand new Ovechkin vs. Crosby thread here!!!

:deadhorse

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
CUBErt said:
Shows intentionally sinking to your level. Not very surprised you missed that. :shakehead

I'm sure. Truth be told it's not that I hate AO, I think he's really good. There's only a handful of players I've ever seen that I didn't care for. Other than that I admire all good players for their talents. I'm just sick of all the yapping about AO. Everyone knows he's really good can we leave it at that? If you watch him consistently why does everyone act so surprised when he does well? And yes, I'm a Crosby fan and from Pittsburgh but I don't go around yammering about him on a message board.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
shawn kemp said:
to be honest in the 1st period I was literally bagning my head against the wall because he was just rushing into Canada's zone at 200 mph and never made a pass.
Uh!?
Ovechkin, right from the start, was clearly the most dangerous Russian forward and looked like the only one not afraid to go full cylinders among his fellows.. when almost everyone else seemed slowed down by the pressure of such a big game and the fear of the opponent.
I was shouting to Krik to play him more, instead, also because of several penalties in the game, he barely played (given any icetime) from 10’ in the first to 5’ in the second, or something like that.
Fortunately, in the second half of the game he was eventually used as the go to guy..

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
For all those who complain about shots, he does shoot a ton, but you have to shoot some to make some.

His percentage for shooting is close to some other decent players like Rolston and Lang, and his percentage is still better than Vinny in Tampa Bay and Iginla.

Obviously his shot selection needs to improve, but putting the puck on net isn't a bad thing.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Ovechkin has played 2/3 of an NHL season, little early to proclaim him the next "insert hockey legend's name here".

He doesn't have the playmaking ability/attitude at this point to even mention him in the same breath as a Forsberg, Jagr, etc. There's a lot more to hockey than just shooting the puck and running people over. Lindros could do that, and pass too... and he was supposed to be the next "great one", but despite a fine career, it's impossible for most to live up to the expectations.

sandels

Aug 2, 2005
Lake Bodom
Czech Your Math said:
Ovechkin has played 2/3 of an NHL season, little early to proclaim him the next "insert hockey legend's name here".

He doesn't have the playmaking ability/attitude at this point to even mention him in the same breath as a Forsberg, Jagr, etc. There's a lot more to hockey than just shooting the puck and running people over. Lindros could do that, and pass too... and he was supposed to be the next "great one", but despite a fine career, it's impossible for most to live up to the expectations.

Are you seriously suggesting all AO is good for is just shooting the puck and running people over?

Sheesh, the kid has a scored more highlight-reel goals in 2/3 of his rookie season that most star players will ever score in their entire careers. He can stickhandle his way through the whole opposing team, he can make a beautiful pass to a teammate, he backchecks and plays hard for his team.

In short, AO really is a complete package as a hockey player. No, he is not a playmaker of Jagr's or Forsberg's caliber - not many are - but its just plain wrong to downplay AO by portraying him as one-dimensional offensive player good only for shooting the puck and hitting people.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Bobby Orr's Knees said:
I am kind of happy he doesn't have Jagr's attititude. :p:

Or Bobby Orr's knees!

Funny, because they just had an interview on CBC with Jagr, and they were asking him about Ovechkin, specifically his enthusiasm and if it was similar to his own at that age. Jagr basically commended Ovechkin as a great player, and said he (Jagr) is too old to be jumping around like that.

I was only saying that Jagr is a playmaker, not just a sharpshooter.

If Jagr had stayed in Pittsburgh, it would probably have ended up worse for both of them. The Penguins haven't been close to the playoffs since he left, yet made it every year he played for them (despite his terrible attitude). Maybe he didn't express himself that well or in the best of ways, but he was frustrated with his own play, injuries, and the future of a near-bankrupt franchise with less and less surrounding talent, while being publicly criticized from above. Probably his biggest mistake was being honest. Jagr's never held out for more money, he helped the Penguins to their only 2 Cups, is leading the Rangers to their first playoff in many years, has led the Czechs to a lot of success in international play, and so far had an incredible career.

I have nothing against Ovechkin, I just think all the proclamations and comparisons are a bit premature. Jagr has been a target for opposing players since he was 13. Will be interesting to see what happens after Ovechkin he's a marked man every season, every game, every shift, year after year. If (more like when) he suffers the inevitable injuries that accompany NHL stars, then whether or not he continues to play hurt, perhaps he can be labelled a whiner, lazy, floater, etc.

Playing with the hapless Caps as a rooke is one thing. After he's been in the league a few years and still everyone on his team is a notch or two below him and they aren't winning... then he can try to express himself in his non-native language to sympathetic ( :biglaugh: ) reporters looking for a story. Jagr's performance in Washington wasn't exactly horrible. He led the team in scoring and had around a point per game in 2+ seasons during the deadest of the dead puck era, they just missed the playoffs his first year, and made it the next year. Since Ovechkin is obviously the holy trinity, perhaps he cannot be injured, go through tough times, or even have a bad day. Best of luck to him. :)

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Bobby Orr's Knees said:
I think Alex & Sidney are a lot closer then that. Jagr is the best right now. Forsberg is still the greatest when he is healthy, but AO is creeping up on him - I see AO as the future Forsberg of the league.

I was mainly replying to this forecast of Ovechkin as the next Forsberg... saying he's not like Forsberg, who's a great two-way playmaking center, that's not overly physical. He will have to learn to be even more of a playmaker, as other teams will focus on shutting him down.

I think one of the biggest challenges for a star in the NHL is to stay healthy. The league almost goes out of its way to let its star players be injured. For every player who has been able to endure the brutal, long NHL schedule and the injuries that usually accompany it (Howe, Gretzky, Jagr, Francis, Messier, etc.), there are even more whose careers have been shortened or severely impacted by injuries (Orr, Lemieux, Forsberg, Bossy, Lindros, Bure, etc.). Even players with long careers, such as Yzerman and Sakic have lost significant time to injury.

My prediction would be an outstanding career for Ovechkin, especially if he adapts to the way his opponents try to frustrate him, while the media will focus on Crosby as the "real" messiah (after all he's from North America).

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Czech Your Math said:
Jagr's never held out for more money, he helped the Penguins to their only 2 Cups, is leading the Rangers to their first playoff in many years, has led the Czechs to a lot of success in international play, and so far had an incredible career.

I have nothing against Ovechkin, I just think all the proclamations and comparisons are a bit premature. Jagr has been a target for opposing players since he was 13. Will be interesting to see what happens after Ovechkin he's a marked man every season, every game, every shift, year after year. If (more like when) he suffers the inevitable injuries that accompany NHL stars, then whether or not he continues to play hurt, perhaps he can be labelled a whiner, lazy, floater, etc.

Jagr basically admitted to half-assing it in Washington. He wasn't a leader.

It's also apparent you haven't seen many Caps games this year. Ovechkin has been shadowed and double-teamed. He's adapted. He's on pace for 50+ assists despite playing with career 3rd and 4th liners. He should be on pace for 60-70 given what he's done. As a rookie. Anyone suggesting he's anything less than an incredible playmaker is naive, IMO.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
EroCaps said:
Jagr basically admitted to half-assing it in Washington. He wasn't a leader.

It's also apparent you haven't seen many Caps games this year. Ovechkin has been shadowed and double-teamed. He's adapted. He's on pace for 50+ assists despite playing with career 3rd and 4th liners. He should be on pace for 60-70 given what he's done. As a rookie. Anyone suggesting he's anything less than an incredible playmaker is naive, IMO.

No, I haven't seen the Caps much this year. I didn't say he was a leader in Washington. I guess we'll see over time what kind of success the Caps have with Ovechkin as leader. Honestly, most of the Caps games I've seen in my life have been while watching Jagr play (and usually eliminate) them in the playoffs.

I think Ovechkin's a fine player, but do you really think he's the next Forsberg? He actually reminds me more of Jagr (Ovechkin is more physically aggressive) at that age, but such comparisons after 2/3 of a season are unfair to either player IMO.

Remember, Jagr has led the league in assists, and Forsberg is a playmaker first (not a goal scorer), another reason I wonder about such comparisons.

I know he's playing with lesser-talented players (Hrdina + Miller = Art Ross), but he's surrounded by loads of goal-scorers on team Russia and I believe he has yet to a record an assist. I don't mean that he can't pass, just that he's a "shoot first" mentality, which is natural given his abilities. I'm sure he's adapted, and other teams will continue to adapt to his adaptations, etc. That's why it's futile to say Crosby is the next Gretzky or Ovechkin is the next Gordie Howe or whatever, because one can only guess what the future will hold.

I think Ovechkin has as much potential as any young player in the game, and is already playing at a very high level. That's enough for me. :)

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Jonjmc said:
Couldnt disagree more..... is ao a good player, yes. But.... has anyone looked at the number of shots he takes????? Today against canada was a good example. Every time he carried the puck up the ice he shoots, Canada seemed to pick up on that mid second period. I think there are quite a few players in the nhl, some even not in the nhl that would produce as many goals as ao given that many shots...... JMO
And the best scorers always take a ton of shots. Examples are Lemieux, Gretzky, (when he was a real scorer, not at the end of his career) Bure, Mogilny, Selanne, Jagr, Kovalchuk, etc. I'd much rather have guys like that taking ten shots during an important elimination game than what all of Team Canada did. If I have a sniper like Ovechkin, I know ten shots from him usually means two or three goals on the scoreboard for me.

MassiveHabs

Jan 10, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Bobby Orr's Knees said:
Is there a statement somewhere in this thread that says you have to like Ovechkin? No. If you don't agree with people praising him, that's ok.

Granted, I have a lot more respect for opinions that are based on more then "didn't like him. didn't like him ... and sure as hell am not gonna like him." It's hard to take you seriously when you tell us that regardless of anything the player does in the future, are still going to dislike him. Is there something so unredeemable about him that you are intent on hating him forever? I don't feel like that about anyone, not even Bertuzzi or Ribeiro. :dunno:

well 1) I dont care if u respect my opinion or not 2) I can dislike a player because of whatever the hell reason I feel like and since somebody else said it first yea i live in pennsylvania, and i liked him a long assssss time before he came to pa, i liked him when i frst saw him in cole harbour, and der...look at my user name...penguins fan :shakehead not a chance in hell! To be honest the reason I Dont like ovechkin so much is because EVERYGODDAMN TIME i say crosbys name somebodys got to bring up ovechkins name...

and yes...cue, thank you engrish(yes im aware its a typo and no I dont give a funk) teacher...psh, not even gonna waste anymo time on this thread

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
MassiveHabs said:
Dont like ovechkin so much is because EVERYGODDAMN TIME i say crosbys name somebodys got to bring up ovechkins name...
Are you that dense to not realize that it works both ways? You personally are trolling in an Ovechkin thread talking about Crosby.

Dumb***.

Nova88

Oct 6, 2005
They Ovey One is in top 10 right now! I think he plays like he wants to win every game. What i love more about him then anything else is teh fact that he hits very good.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
UnderratedBrooks44 said:
Why would we praise Crosby he's not the best player that has ever lived.

Not us, people who want to. So the comparison thread would be there,for those that wish to argue...errr, compare, and there would be seperate appreciation threads for each player so every thread mentioning one of them doesn't become "(AO/Crosby) is 100 times better than (Crosby/AO), anybody that disagress is an complete idiot"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->