I have seen the future, and his name is AO

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach777

Nov 10, 2003
I'm a huge Forsberg fan, but after watching the Russia-Canada game, the best player in the world right now is Alexander Ovechkin. What a completely awesome player.

All that speed, stickhandling, physical play, shot, and energy... he will not be contained.

Crosby will undoubtedly shine if Olympics goes pro again in the next olympics, but right now this is Ovechkins show.

Speed is the future, and players who have it will score goals, goals... goals....

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I know what you mean, I don't know what he eats or what he drinks..but simply put this guy is a machine. I have never seen a player in the history of hockey combine such speed and thougness and stick handling into one..never!

Jonjmc

Feb 7, 2006
Couldnt disagree more..... is ao a good player, yes. But.... has anyone looked at the number of shots he takes????? Today against canada was a good example. Every time he carried the puck up the ice he shoots, Canada seemed to pick up on that mid second period. I think there are quite a few players in the nhl, some even not in the nhl that would produce as many goals as ao given that many shots...... JMO

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Jonjmc said:
I think there are quite a few players in the nhl, some even not in the nhl that would produce as many goals as ao given that many shots...... JMO

Then they should shoot more? :dunno:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Jonjmc said:
Couldnt disagree more..... is ao a good player, yes. But.... has anyone looked at the number of shots he takes????? Today against canada was a good example. Every time he carried the puck up the ice he shoots, Canada seemed to pick up on that mid second period. I think there are quite a few players in the nhl, some even not in the nhl that would produce as many goals as ao given that many shots...... JMO
Dude you're funny..but seriously hockey isn't for you!

Jonjmc

Feb 7, 2006
Beach Boy said:
Dude you're funny..but seriously hockey isn't for you!

Who is leading the nhl in shots? ao.... 283... thats shots on goal, not the wild misses from flinging it toward the net. Shooting percentage.. 12.7

aylib

Mods are lame
Mar 26, 2002
St. Pete, FL
Jonjmc said:
Yeah, just drop 'em into the slot and let em shoot, eh? How are they going to get into scoring positions and generate those shots- ever thought about that, big brain?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
AO is great, just great. He has to be more patient when he enters the zone sometimes... actually, I am going to stop - I don't feel like talking about flaws in his game, on this day!!!
Physically, he's an alien, that's for sure.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
You can't score if you dont shoot. The reason why he takes so many shots is because he creates so many opportunities for himself. Its not as if he walks past the center line and fires it on net hoping to score. To take anything away from him because of the amount of shots he takes is ridiculous considering his team and the fact that he has 36 nhl goals in his rookie season.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jonjmc said:

If you could shoot like Ovechkin, you'd pass less.

And yeah, he had 3 less shots than Kovalchuck.

shawn_kemp*

to be honest in the 1st period I was literally bagning my head against the wall :banghead: because he was just rushing into Canada's zone at 200 mph and never made a pass.

Well, in the end, he did make 1 pass (an unreal 1 handed pass meant to just dump the puck deep in the corner/keep it in the zone), and it led to his GW goal. :bow:

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
How ingenious this thread is!! Ovechkin is the future?? Noooooooooo, I never realized!! :sarcasm:

Yes, AO is great everybody knows that by now.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
AO does shoot too much. he tries to make plays by himself too often. he does many other good things, tho. like the diving stick-check/pass to kozlov that led to his g.

at least he's attacking the D and drawing penalties. kovalchuk, otoh, has been terrible. he just skates in and shoots. i still think he should play w/ malkin.

Hockeycanada*

Every time Ovechkin was on the ice in the third period I was very nervous. He is the future superstar of the NHL.

HackandLube

Dec 7, 2005
Jonjmc said:
Who is leading the nhl in shots? ao.... 283... thats shots on goal, not the wild misses from flinging it toward the net. Shooting percentage.. 12.7

What are you trying to say? It makes no sense. AO excels because he shoots the puck? If only other NHLers would shoot the puck as much, they would be as good as AO?

Sorry buddy, but shooting the puck is not easy and is the key to scoring and winning games in this sport we call hockey. AO gets huge numbers of quality shots off that very few other NHLers could do. The thing I think about watching AO is his tenacity. Yeah, he's a bit of a show-off and he always tries to score - but that's what makes him successful. Nomatter what the chances are, he'll shoot anyway and you'll see ridculous plays like him rolling on the ice on his back, shovelling the puck in with the tip of his stick and scoring.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
Hockeycanada said:
Every time Ovechkin was on the ice in the third period I was very nervous. He is the future superstar of the NHL.

He might be the superstar right now, the kid is simply amazing. :bow:

Hopefully by the 2010 games Phaneuf can shut him down the way he did at the World Juniors.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
blueliner said:
and, what would another sterling Ovechkin outing be without an accompanying quote?

Asked what his countrymen back home were thinking, Ovechkin said, "Everybody in my country is jumping, I think, and everybody at the Olympics will drink lots of vodka."

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/to...s?slug=ap-hkm-russia-canada&prov=ap&type=lgns

the kid is a statesman!

Good think he's not in the USA. I think he's legal in Italy

(remembers Simpsons episode "In France, it is customary for children to drink wine" ) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad