I have no idea what to do at the gym

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Hey folks. I've recently lost a ton of weight and I had started doing BJJ to stay active in January but Corona shit all over that.

I've lost a lost of my strength and I wanted to try and build some of that back up.

I went to a traditional gym today and I had no clue what I was doing. I don't know the machines, I don't know WHAT I should be doing. Nothing. I'm a complete and total beginner in every sense of the word. I see a ton of apps that talk about giving you a plan and stuff but don't know which ones are good or what I should be looking to do as a beginner.

ANY advice or pointers would be super welcome.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
My first experience with gyms & exercise equipment was about 2 years ago after my heart attack at Age 60, so I'm familiar with your sense of being lost. The variety of equipment can be intimidating, along with being surrounded by people who have their routines established & focused. But I would swallow my pride & either grab a trainer to explain a machine/routine that was unfamiliar to me or figure them out myself. I had never even been on a treadmill, but that was the easiest place for me to start after 5 minutes of simple stretching exercises. I found a comfortable walking speed setting, varied the incline to a point where it became a challenge to keep up, monitored my heart rate to make sure I didn't overdo it & increased my time on the machine by a couple of minutes for each visit. Then to gain some upper body strength & flexibility, I spent time in each visit on the hand bike (increasing resistance & time every couple of sessions) and alternated with free weight sets at increasing weights & reps. I haven't progressed much past those simple routines, but I've tried a few other machines (standing elliptical, stationary bike, resistance weight machines) as occasional substitutes to avoid boredom. Those sorts of exercise sequences should help you rebuild lower & upper body strength, so you can move on to BJJ or whatever other advanced training suits your needs/desires. Good luck.

Reactions: Fudge

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Hey folks. I've recently lost a ton of weight and I had started doing BJJ to stay active in January but Corona shit all over that.

I've lost a lost of my strength and I wanted to try and build some of that back up.

I went to a traditional gym today and I had no clue what I was doing. I don't know the machines, I don't know WHAT I should be doing. Nothing. I'm a complete and total beginner in every sense of the word. I see a ton of apps that talk about giving you a plan and stuff but don't know which ones are good or what I should be looking to do as a beginner.

Check out the app JEFIT. They have a bunch of premade routines and you can create you own work out plans. They have videos too of the lifts and how to do them.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

Your goal should not be "lifting weight" as such, at least in the idea of lifting heavy.

Your goal should be first and foremost developing the mind muscle connection so that you begin to understand what an exercise is working muscle-wise. Focus on form.

Also stick to free weight initially. Machines are great but they are easy to misuse and contrary to popular belief can lead to injury.

As a place to look for information go to Dr Mike Israetels Youtube: Renaisance Periodisation to get some great info on how to approach training.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

This is a pretty old thread, hopefully you've made some good progress and you're comfortable at the gym now!

If you're still uncomfortable at the gym or stopped going, my advice would be to get a personal trainer who works at the gym. Book 3 sessions with them and get them to help make a workout plan for you each session. This way you'll have someone who will go through each workout with you and give you pointers and you'll be able to use each machine or do each set without feeling totally lost. I've found that the trainers are always open to a quick question if you see them around as well if you've done PT with them.

This was my personal journey of how I got into the gym a few years ago. I wanted to start going for a long time and went once in awhile here and there, but all I did was some dumbbell curls and other simple exercises. The biggest obstacle is getting over the initial hump and paying the extra money for a few sessions with a PT is worth it, once you get past that hump you'll be fine.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
1. If you can afford to get a PT for 2-3 months you'll learn a lot
2. Use free weights, ditch the machines whenever you can

Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

There are a lot of factors that influence a workout plan but the 2 biggest are always GOALS and TIME.

Why are you working out? Do you want to be strong? Do you want to look a certain way? Etc.

How many days a week can you make time to work out, for how long?

If strength regardless of look is what your after, then you’re looking for compound exercises that that involve most of the large muscle groups. Quads, glutes, back and chest, and you’re looking at longer rest periods between sets. Any compound exercise that works one or more of these groups will also engage your core, which is important, but core strength isnt going to give you a six pack, that comes from the kitchen.

So if you want to be pretty, fair enough, just understand thats a slightly different routine and a different diet to boot.

Likewise, if you want to be pretty, you can basically just go keto, work arms, chest, legs and shoulders. You’ll get the V, get lean, look great...but you wont have as much raw power.

So pick what you want and what you have time for. Give yourself at least one full 24 hour period of rest between each session that works a particular muscle group. Rest helps gains as much or more than time in the gym.

Last edited:

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I've taken multiple pieces of advice from the comments in here!

I actually just went outside my comfort zone and got myself a personal trainer through the gym that I planned to keep until I felt more comfortable with the machines and the facility in general. It's been about 2 months and I'm really glad I made the decision. He's helped me develop a routine and game plan that I will be able to continue using once I decide to stop using the trainer. Since I'm not spending the cash on BJJ, it didn't really cost me anything and it sets me up for continued success in the gym once I can start back to BJJ.

I've also found an app called Shred that I really like for finding additional plans/exercises that I can work in on days when I don't work with the PT.

I hate doing squats though.

Reactions: JMCx4

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Hex bar Farmer Walks. Is this exercise safe for an 11 year old?

Not thinking a ton of weight.

Feedback appreciated

darko

Feb 16, 2009

I actually just went outside my comfort zone and got myself a personal trainer through the gym that I planned to keep until I felt more comfortable with the machines and the facility in general. It's been about 2 months and I'm really glad I made the decision. He's helped me develop a routine and game plan that I will be able to continue using once I decide to stop using the trainer. Since I'm not spending the cash on BJJ, it didn't really cost me anything and it sets me up for continued success in the gym once I can start back to BJJ.

I've also found an app called Shred that I really like for finding additional plans/exercises that I can work in on days when I don't work with the PT.

Get as much info out of the PT as you can.

Nobody likes squats.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

Feedback appreciated
My advice: Consult a pediatrician before any child undertakes a program of strenuous exercise.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Very very very late to this thread... but do what you love. That's all it ever is about. If it's swimming + walking + yoga... there you go. If it's lifting... there you go.

The reality is, I could sit here and tell you the things that work scientifically. But if you have no passion to do it, you won't. So the idea here is to find what you love. If you love the gym - I think then we have to focus on what YOU want to break through and attack that. There is so much free info out there. We can lead you to the right spot.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016

Feedback appreciated

A light farmers carry is more appropriate. A hex bar is awkward for anyone.

Depending on how big/small the 11/12 year old is, perhaps some 50-70 pound dumbbell farmers are a good start. (I was 6'2 185 at 12 years old.so im a bad example)

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
A light farmers carry is more appropriate. A hex bar is awkward for anyone.

Depending on how big/small the 11/12 year old is, perhaps some 50-70 pound dumbbell farmers are a good start. (I was 6'2 185 at 12 years old.so im a bad example)

wow, really? Figure the hex was easy b/c it’s around you. Haven’t had him farmers walk with it. He does mini squats. We also do reverse/backwards sled pulls. He’s on turf yet pulling 180lbs and just turned 11

Wow, you were a big kid.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
wow, really? Figure the hex was easy b/c it’s around you. Haven’t had him farmers walk with it. He does mini squats. We also do reverse/backwards sled pulls. He’s on turf yet pulling 180lbs and just turned 11

Wow, you were a big kid.

That's a really great sled drag, yes any strongman type of training/movement will put on size and muscle and are great for training, sled drags, prowler pulls/pushes etc..

I would only use a hex bar for deadlifts. With a novice/younger kid, a hex bar is perfect because just general technique is fine (back neutral, head neutral, push through with your hips etc.. ) It's dummy proof. So I always advocate that for younger/inexperienced lifters to start with.

Pretty much 6'2 185-220 from 14-22 year solid.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
That's a really great sled drag, yes any strongman type of training/movement will put on size and muscle and are great for training, sled drags, prowler pulls/pushes etc..

I would only use a hex bar for deadlifts. With a novice/younger kid, a hex bar is perfect because just general technique is fine (back neutral, head neutral, push through with your hips etc.. ) It's dummy proof. So I always advocate that for younger/inexperienced lifters to start with.

Pretty much 6'2 185-220 from 14-22 year solid.

yes, the deadlifts is what i have him using it for (kinda, i have him doing half squats with the hex. Not a full deadlift although he could probably do it. B/c he’s young everything is still soft so i kinda have him doing half squats. It’s enough to burn yet his knees aren’t dropping as far. Any advice?

The sled pull is easy. Although i do wonder about the push and the achilles. He pushed last year and strained his calf which is kinda attached to the achilles so i got worried. Pulling is easy though.

ty

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010

Everyone hate squats for maybe the first 6-12 months. ;) The more you do them the more you might grow to like them, especially once you'll start seeing the results and increase strength and flexability. I hated leg days as much as anyone initially, but now I quite like it. Try some variations as well, front squat, lunges, romanian, bulgarian, with dumbells, with barbells and so on.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

Late to the party but, try to do legs often. Doing legs will tell your body to produce more testosterone, which aids in muscle development and growth.

When I say legs, I mean exercises that engage your quads and hamstrings. Calves and glutes are secondary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->