I have a question for you hockey players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nic29+

May 5, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Aaron Vickers said:
Not anymore.

Little bugger upped his price to $10 a game.

LOL.

I was just curious because where I live there are about 5 or 6 little kids that stand at the door at every intermission to pat the guys on the back when they come off the ice and again when they go back on. So when the players are going back onto the ice for the 3rd period they always give one of the kids a stick of theirs. It's usually a broken stick (just cracked so it still looks good) and the kids love it. My son is one of those kids and it seems like the players love it just as much as the kids do. Just thought I'd give you guys some ideas. ;)

IkeaMonkey*

nic29 said:
LOL.

I was just curious because where I live there are about 5 or 6 little kids that stand at the door at every intermission to pat the guys on the back when they come off the ice and again when they go back on. So when the players are going back onto the ice for the 3rd period they always give one of the kids a stick of theirs. It's usually a broken stick (just cracked so it still looks good) and the kids love it. My son is one of those kids and it seems like the players love it just as much as the kids do. Just thought I'd give you guys some ideas. ;)

It all depends on the arena. Some of the larger places theres almost no contact from fans to players. Some others though, the players need to walk from the bench to the locker rooms in the same walkway the fans use. In these places kids will always be there.

nic29+

May 5, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
It all depends on the arena. Some of the larger places theres almost no contact from fans to players. Some others though, the players need to walk from the bench to the locker rooms in the same walkway the fans use. In these places kids will always be there.

Well in those arena's where there are kids, give them a stick and make their day.

IkeaMonkey*

lol I never gave them a stick. I'm sorry, you can call me the grinch, but $170 a stick while going to high school was a bit to give away. If the kids stuck their hand out, i'd touch their hand with my glove on the way to the lockerroom.

nic29+

May 5, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
lol I never gave them a stick. I'm sorry, you can call me the grinch, but $170 a stick while going to high school was a bit to give away. If the kids stuck their hand out, i'd touch their hand with my glove on the way to the lockerroom.

Not one of your good sticks. If a blade happened to get cracked or something but the stick still looks good give them that one. Instead of throwing it away. Or if someone else has a stick they are throwing away take that one.

canadahockeygirl*

In college, we'd have little kids waiting for autographs in the lobby...or the supermarket...or anywhere else in town any athlete went and were noticed. But I'm sure they would have been patting us on the back as well had we been more accessible. I've never seen anything like it elsewhere though.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
When I played senior hockey, and people actually came to watch us play, there were kids all over the exit door from the the rink to the dressing room.....slapping us on the back, kicking my pads - It was kinda cool actually.

Now no one watches us except for the odd guy's wife/girlfriend. :lol

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
Officer Jim Lahey said:
When I played senior hockey, and people actually came to watch us play, there were kids all over the exit door from the the rink to the dressing room.....slapping us on the back, kicking my pads - It was kinda cool actually.

Now no one watches us except for the odd guy's wife/girlfriend. :lol
yeah beer leaguers are lucky if the refs watch.

IkeaMonkey*

nic29 said:
Not one of your good sticks. If a blade happened to get cracked or something but the stick still looks good give them that one. Instead of throwing it away. Or if someone else has a stick they are throwing away take that one.

Most sticks are still usable if the blade breaks :x.

MacDaddy TLC*

I played in Neebing Minor Hockey League as a kid. It was a tight knit group and there was always a group of players there to give a pat on the back or a high five as teams came on or left the ice. Two notable grads of Neebing minor are Brent Peterson formerly of the Tampa Bay Lightning and Greg Lotsyz who was a practice squad player on the New York Jets (most famous for suing the Jets, the Giants and a mess of doctors for botching his knee surgery, leaving him needing a cane at the age of 26 just to get around.)

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Keetz said:
yeah beer leaguers are lucky if the refs watch.

:lol

So true.

To answer the origional question, yes nic, there are usually little kids that hang around the rink and pat us on the backs like you described. I play for a no-name school (hockey wise), but they still do it.

I always assumed it was the little brother(s) of some of the guys, but perhaps not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad