I hate the setup of games- no wonder bad ratings

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
I mean- this will be the second Saturday evening with no playoff games, one game tonight at 8pm eastern time, one afternoon game tomorrow, and then a late 10pm game on Sunday. The scheduling leaves a lot to be desired. I know some is dependent on how many games actually get played in a series and is out of the leagues control but does anyone else think a better job could have been done to start with?

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
joolzie said:
Don't Buffalo and Ottawa play tomorrow evening, or are you willfully ignoring that?

Actually, I completely forgot about the Sens/Sabres tomorrow evening- didn't mean to. I guess in some ways it seems too like many of the playoff series have been so one-sided- not all, but many have been pretty one-sided and they just seem more boring that's all too. I mean if Carolina and Buffalo are able to wrap it up tomorrow and SJ possibly by Sunday, I wonder if we would have to wait till next Friday before they would start the conference finals or if they would move them up to start earlier in the week- we could have a gap of 4 or 5 days with no games- ugh!

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
If the Sabres and Canes both wrap up their series before a Game #7 is played, I wouldn't be surprise if the Eastern Conference Finals start next Thursday in Carolina with a Game #2-Saturday afternoon on NBC. If theres a Game #7 in either series (or two Game #7's-Sabres-Sens-Wed/Devils-Canes-Thur) the Eastern Conference Finals will start next Saturday afternoon.

Now will the Buffalo-Carolina conference final be allowed to start their series early (as stated above) if the Edmonton-San Jose semifinal series makes it to Game #7 which will be played next Friday night? I know the NBA does it sometimes-starts a series before a previous round series ends-will the NHL be allowed to do so? (NHLPA may not allow it.)

LS...

Last edited:

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
puck57 said:
Actually, I completely forgot about the Sens/Sabres tomorrow evening- didn't mean to. I guess in some ways it seems too like many of the playoff series have been so one-sided- not all, but many have been pretty one-sided and they just seem more boring that's all too. I mean if Carolina and Buffalo are able to wrap it up tomorrow and SJ possibly by Sunday, I wonder if we would have to wait till next Friday before they would start the conference finals or if they would move them up to start earlier in the week- we could have a gap of 4 or 5 days with no games- ugh!

uhm there is no way SJ can wrap up their series on Sunday, nor can Edmonton

Jazz

puck57 said:
From what I heard on the radio, it does not matter when the 2nd round finishes, the Conference Finals will not start until next weekend.

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
The problem with the NHL is the scheduling. When they play 2 games in 1 city it should be on back to back nights after the first round. Look at the final schedule. 1 day of between 1 and 2, 2 days of between 2 and 3. No offense but 2 days between hockey games and people are gonna lose interest.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
MooseHunter said:
uhm there is no way SJ can wrap up their series on Sunday, nor can Edmonton

Well when the poster made his post - San Jose was up in the series 2-1 with Game #5 not even started yet - so a SJ win in Game #5 and Game #6 on Sunday would have wrap up the series then ok?

Oh so neither Conference Final series can start before next Saturday? ugh, if thats the case as the guys next to me are going to be upset because if the series has games that go every other day, that puts a (possible) Game #4 in Buffalo on Friday, May 26 and he will have to miss it because they will be away from Buffalo for Memorial Day weekend. (If the series was able to start earlier-Games #3/#4 in Buffalo would probably be Monday/Wednesday with a Game #6 probably Sunday night, May 28. If thats the schedule-they told me they could make arrangements to be back in time to attend the game.)

Cool! mail just came with my Eastern Conference Final/Stanley Cup Final tickets (I'm a season ticket holder!) so hopefully thats a good omen and the Sabres win tonight! Go Sabres! Go Bandits! (our indoor lacrosse team is going for the championship as well tonight-6:00 pm on ESPN2/Fox Sports World Canada) Hopefully its a great night sportswise in Buffalo tonight!

LS...

Last edited:

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Danny__K said:
The problem with the NHL is the scheduling. When they play 2 games in 1 city it should be on back to back nights after the first round. Look at the final schedule. 1 day of between 1 and 2, 2 days of between 2 and 3. No offense but 2 days between hockey games and people are gonna lose interest.

Exactly. This week you have no games on Monday or Tuesday and one game Wednesday and then wait till Friday. Terrible setup. Two nights between games is too much of a break- the scheduling is ridiculous. With the conference finals, if there is a 4 game sweep, you will have only one weekend of games and the second weekend only a Friday game. Granted, there will probably not be a sweep in either series but you never know. I hate the setup they have made.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
People complain when games are scheduled at the same time. Now people complain that games are too spread out, but allow for games not to be scheduled at the same time. The reason why there is a 2 day break is because Tuesday would have had a double header of Game 6s had those series gone the distance (Carolina and Ducks series).

Had Conference semifinals all gone the distance, only 2 games out of 28 possible would have been on at the same time. I think it is excellent scheduling.

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
Trizent said:
People complain when games are scheduled at the same time. Now people complain that games are too spread out, but allow for games not to be scheduled at the same time. The reason why there is a 2 day break is because Tuesday would have had a double header of Game 6s had those series gone the distance (Carolina and Ducks series).

Had Conference semifinals all gone the distance, only 2 games out of 28 possible would have been on at the same time. I think it is excellent scheduling.

Yes, clearly the NHL should schedule on a game by game basis, that way the schedule is perfect for everyone. :shakehead

Oh wait, then we'd get complaints about not knowing when the next game was.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Trizent said:

I know they were allowing for the game 6's in the other series. I think they some way should be able to move up the other games if they have arena space available to make up if the series don't go more than 4 or 5 in another series. It is VERY boring to have these breaks in my estimation- some of you may think otherwise.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
Trizent said:
I don't think it would be fair or feasible to move game days at a moments notice.

That and arenas could have something already booked on different dates (such as say, a concert) preventing them from playing on other days.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
speaking of bad ratings...

that Edmonton/Anaheim game was terrible hockey...I don't know why anyone other than a diehard Oilers or diehard Ducks fans would sit through that type of hockey. If that's the product the NHL is putting out then they deserve terrible ratings.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
McDonald19 said:
speaking of bad ratings...

that Edmonton/Anaheim game was terrible hockey...I don't know why anyone other than a diehard Oilers or diehard Ducks fans would sit through that type of hockey. If that's the product the NHL is putting out then they deserve terrible ratings.

I just spent the past couple of hours reading rave reviews on many hockey boards about that game. There seems to be a difference of opinion about whether that was a good game or not.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Gamefreak said:
The Western Conference Final start times revolve around the Eastern Time zone :madfire: :rant:

The NBA Western Conference weeknight games will all begin at 6PM PDT 7MDT 9PM EDT.

The NBA Eastern Conference weeknight games will all begin at 8PM EDT.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Tekneek said:
I just spent the past couple of hours reading rave reviews on many hockey boards about that game. There seems to be a difference of opinion about whether that was a good game or not.

really? seemed like a game from the old NHL but without the physical play. A lot of trapping and lot of blocked shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->