I Hate The Draft Lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
The only "analysts" that liked the clarkson contract, were of the same old school "hockey people" like Nonis.
Just about everyone on TSN thought he was a good addition. Even the ones that thought maybe he was being paid a bit to much thought he helped the team.

You simply need to look at any comment section or thread from the time to see that it was obvious to the average fan it was a terrible deal the moment it was signed.
People always complain about the value of new contracts when the salary cap is on the way up as it was when the deal was signed. If he actually were a top 6 player he’d have been overpaid a little but the AAV would have ultimately been tolerable. The real mistake was that he a 3rd/4th line player, even on day 1 of the deal and was at a point in his career where players get worse not better.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Most teams call it a Draft Party ( as in come see who we draft ) . Actually hosting a Draft Lottery Party .... says something is wrong with your team.

Ahhhhh I am dumb. Completely blanked out the word lottery in my head....yeah draft party = norm. Draft lottery party = weird.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I feel like the OP is missing the point that teams like tampa, Pittsburgh, LA, Chicago, boston were all built through high draft picks. the parity is cyclical. good managed teams will rise to the top and stay there longer but the general cycle is bad bad good good.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
The Rangers have one of the best win % since the salary cap was enacted, and have only missed the playoffs once. This has nothing to do with the Rangers. The salary cap has been a godsend for us

Aye. You guys have done well in the salary cap era but lets not pretend like the Rangers aren't part of the select group of teams that could afford to blow up the market if there was no cap.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Technically the Oilers as the worst team in 2011 did get the 1st pick even though they didn't win the lottery that year. New Jersey who won the lottery moved up from the 8th pick to the 4th pick, however since only the bottom 5 teams could win it and move up 4 spots at that time, that's why the Oilers retained the 1st pick.

Correct - I only left them off because they didn't win that lottery.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Aye. You guys have done well in the salary cap era but lets not pretend like the Rangers aren't part of the select group of teams that could afford to blow up the market if there was no cap.
being the most valuable NHL franchise 2 years running will do that, but its not like we are lambasting the salary cap because it has hurt us

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Look at the Rangers from 1998-2004 when they missed the playoffs all those years, however they kept signing high priced UFA's to major deals. Who can forget when they signed Bobby Holik to that 5 year, $45 million contract when there was no salary cap.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I feel like the OP is missing the point that teams like tampa, Pittsburgh, LA, Chicago, boston were all built through high draft picks. the parity is cyclical. good managed teams will rise to the top and stay there longer but the general cycle is bad bad good good.

.....and.....the Jets?

fncWOH0.gif

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
word. Even though in the NFL there is a salary cap and the worst team drafts 1st, good management is rewarded in that league which is why you see the same teams at the top / bottom year after year.
You see the same teams winning because the game rewards teams that have an elite QB. Its just the way the game is played. Its also why you see the same teams that have a horrible QB at the bottom every year.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
being the most valuable NHL franchise 2 years running will do that, but its not like we are lambasting the salary cap because it has hurt us

Oh you guys have been very successful. My entire point is, NO ONE in Florida/Winnipeg/Caroline is like "Yeah....getting rid of the cap would be pretty sweet."

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Look at the Rangers from 1998-2004 when they missed the playoffs all those years, however they kept signing high priced UFA's to major deals. Who can forget when they signed Bobby Holik to that 5 year, $45 million contract when there was no salary cap.

Yeah I always see that brought up but just because one 6 year stint didn't work doesn't mean that the ability to throw 3, 4, 5 times the amount of money at players than other teams can isn't a HUGE boost.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't see the need for the lottery- worst team should get the first overall pick. For the record, as an Oiler fan, if there was no draft lottery, the Oilers would have only had two first overall picks - Hall and Yakupov. So its worked out in our favour. When the NHL changed the metrics to decrease our odds of getting another first we still got McDavid too.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
.....and.....the Jets?

fncWOH0.gif

as a hockey fan id love to bump knucks for the jets but......

im also an oilers fan and last year we were bumping knucks on everyone and now we aren't so imam wait till this time next year before I knuckle up

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
as a hockey fan id love to bump knucks for the jets but......

im also an oilers fan and last year we were bumping knucks on everyone and now we aren't so imam wait till this time next year before I knuckle up

I also believe that Rule 34.c.2 states that Jets and Oilers fans are not allow to show anything but pure contempt for each other. Some weird rule that was made in the 80's.

Edit: Hold up. I checked the rule and there was a recent amendment. While contempt is still required there is a provision in there that simply states "F*** the Ducks".

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Oh look what do you know, an Oiler fan defending the lottery rules. You can’t even make this stuff up lol. As just discussed in another thread, the NHL changed the lottery rules because of Edmonton’s incompetence only to have it work out in their favor in the 2015 lottery. I think that was the 5th or 6th year in a row that Oiler fans gathered up to have “draft lottery parties”. Isn’t that a problem? A teams fan base having lottery parties?
I'm an Avalanche fan LOL, nice job bud. Maybe you shouldn't assume such silly things

Maybe address the substance of my post instead of just rattling off your talking points. And no, I don't think fans grouping together to enjoy what little they have to enjoy is the problem. It's a symptom.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't see the need for the lottery- worst team should get the first overall pick. For the record, as an Oiler fan, if there was no draft lottery, the Oilers would have only had two first overall picks - Hall and Yakupov. So its worked out in our favour. When the NHL changed the metrics to decrease our odds of getting another first we still got McDavid too.
You mean Hall and RNH, not Yakupov. In 2011 they were the worst team to select RNH, in 2012 Columbus was the worst team and lost the lottery to the Oilers who selected Yakupov.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Most teams call it a Draft Party ( as in come see who we draft ) . Actually hosting a Draft Lottery Party .... says something is wrong with your team.
The Oilers had a draft lottery party in 2010 and 2011, because I remember TSN showing live footage at some bar. They even had the Oilers cheer letters both times and in 2011 Taylor Hall was there.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Oilers had a draft lottery party in 2010 and 2011, because I remember TSN showing live footage at some bar. They even had the Oilers cheer letters both times and in 2011 Taylor Hall was there.
I was at both draft parties. The Hall year was interesting because we didn't know for sure if it was Hall or Seguin. The Nuge year was fun because I'm a Red Deer Rebels fan and the buzz was that we were drafting Nuge. They were a good time, and a good means to instill some hope into the fanbase. The team was already awful, might as well celebrate getting a high profile prospect out of the deal.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I forgot to add if the NHL had no draft lottery would fans of other teams be ok with the Sabres having the 1st pick in 2014 and 2015, which means they get Aaron Ekblad and Connor McDavid.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I was at both draft parties. The Hall year was interesting because we didn't know for sure if it was Hall or Seguin. The Nuge year was fun because I'm a Red Deer Rebels fan and the buzz was that we were drafting Nuge. They were a good time, and a good means to instill some hope into the fanbase. The team was already awful, might as well celebrate getting a high profile prospect out of the deal.
In 2016 the Leafs never had a draft lottery party, instead at Real Sports Bar they showed the lottery on TV and had blue streamers to drop if they had won. So it wasn't shown ahead of time like it was for the Oilers on draft lottery night.

AwesomeMatthews34*

Dec 2, 2008
The draft lottery is crap too because then the NHL can start putting guys where they want them, and don't think for a second that they won't. It's all about the dollar bill.

The first two years of the lottery, two huge Canadian markets get their saviors. I'm shocked.
I’m shocked people still believe the draft lottery is rigged. Please explain how you think they do the rigging. Why would Bettman want Canadian teams, more specifically Edmonton to win the lottery ? The fact they’ve won it so much just shows it ISN’T rigged.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I guess... never heard of it

Designated Player Rule - Wikipedia

The Designated Player Rule, nicknamed the Beckham Rule,[1] was adopted as part of the salary cap regulations of Major League Soccer for the 2007 season. The rule allows each MLS franchise to sign players that would be considered outside the team's salary cap (either by offering the player higher wages or by paying a transfer fee for the player), allowing MLS teams to compete for star players in the international soccer market.

really the only difference between what you proposed and this is that only a percentage of a contract would not count towards the cap, but definitely the same principle.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
In 2016 the Leafs never had a draft lottery party, instead at Real Sports Bar they showed the lottery on TV and had blue streamers to drop if they had won. So it wasn't shown ahead of time like it was for the Oilers on draft lottery night.

The ones I went to were the draft day parties, not the lottery party. Not sure if they even held lottery parties, it would be pretty embarassing to have one and then lose. Get all of your fans together only for them to be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->