I Got My RLR Draft Guide Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I have one update.

When I opened my e-mail this morning I had a .pdf file of the ISS draft guide that lived completely up to my expectations.

I believe I will also be getting ISS's post-draft write up because of the issues with getting the online version out.

I do like the fact that they tried as hard as they did to make a bad situation better.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Stock Rocks said:
Boy, some guys sure like to talk tough behind a keyboard...

Anytime you want to come out from behind that anonymous handle of yours and qualify the information you so freely throw around as gospel, then feel free to do so. Until then, you are just coming off like another of the many self-important knobs who inhabit this place.

This is a warning from your local HF mod, keep it to hockey or pm. That goes for everyone in this thread.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Jim Bob said:
I have one update.

When I opened my e-mail this morning I had a .pdf file of the ISS draft guide that lived completely up to my expectations.

Jim, your breakdown page by page of Redline was appreciated. Thank you for that!

Would it be too much to ask you to do the same with ISS?

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Thanks Moderator.

By the way Mr. Stockrocks (I'm assuming that's your name, not an anonymous handle),
I have no problem with what your Boston scout said. But there is quite a difference between a 'bias' statement (something like: "I'd go with Chipchura here. There's just something I like about that guy. He has fire in his eyes.") stated at a scout's meeting and Redline getting all PERSONALLY wound up because, for example, Konstantin Glazachev took some dives and then saying (in a syndicated newspaper no less) that he shouldn't be allowed in a rink.

As for scouts not having to be objective at all, OK, but just compare two scouting-type statements below:
a- He's undisciplined. Uses his stick too liberally.
b- He's a dirty little puke (RLR quote here).
Which is the bettrer, more informative of the two in terms of providing info for the GM?

Anyway- sorry I said you were "wrong" earlier. There are, of course, no rights or wrongs in these discussions and they are not worth getting upset about.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
steblick said:
As for scouts not having to be objective at all, OK, but just compare two scouting-type statements below:
Which is the bettrer, more informative of the two in terms of providing info for the GM?

Neither is inherently better, because they say different things.

If b is accurate, then a is a gross understatement. If a is accurate, then b is gross hyperbole.

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
To be honest, I like B better. B can take you far in the playoffs. (Nieminen, anybody?) A just gets you bad penalties. (Damphousse?) The line is a fine one, but an important one to make. Dirt wins hockey games. Yes, it sometimes brings in bad penalties, but I'm talking generally. In the playoffs, pretty goals are rare, while dirty, borderline-penalty plays are what get goals. I'd want the dirty pukes on my team.

~Crazed.

penkil2

Dec 5, 2003
MI
Visit site
steblick said:
Redline sure gave it to Lammers. Next to Chris Bourque, he got the biggest ****kicking in the review. McKeen's, on the other hand, has Lammers as a favourite and just outside the 1st round.

Should be interesting.

I tend to favour McKeen's ratings. Redline gets a little too emotional, not the best quality in a scout.

I agree.....Woodleif's maturity is questionable! I can see him sitting at the computer
repeating, "revenge is sweet".

draftpool

Jun 15, 2004
steblick said:
Thanks Moderator.

By the way Mr. Stockrocks (I'm assuming that's your name, not an anonymous handle),
I have no problem with what your Boston scout said. But there is quite a difference between a 'bias' statement (something like: "I'd go with Chipchura here. There's just something I like about that guy. He has fire in his eyes.") stated at a scout's meeting and Redline getting all PERSONALLY wound up because, for example, Konstantin Glazachev took some dives and then saying (in a syndicated newspaper no less) that he shouldn't be allowed in a rink.

Anyway- sorry I said you were "wrong" earlier. There are, of course, no rights or wrongs in these discussions and they are not worth getting upset about.

So when you travel with a team or work as an agent (you are one of 2) it must be hard for you to not be personal with some of your views. So is what you are doing any different???? Except you pretend to be totally objective. All scouting services ISS REd Line, McKeen's and CSS state their opinions to some degree. Same as pro scouts.

Last edited:

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
draftpool said:
So when you travel with a team or work as an agent (you are one of 2) it must be hard for you to not be personal with some of your views. So is what you are doing any different???? Except you pretend to be totally objective. All scouting services ISS REd Line, McKeen's and CSS state their opinions to some degree. Same as pro scouts.

I try my best to be objective. And I think if you look at my comments you will find that I avoid the kind of excessive emotion that Redline uses. No one is 100% objective of course but is important as a scout to put personal emotions on the backburner as much as possible. Even as a non-scout that is what I try to do.

Why? I think most people on this board who want to know about a player- and I think I might have something to say about that player- would prefer a relatively objective report rather than something like "he's a total ash-hole off the ice and he skates like a castrated duck", which says more about the writer than the player.

That's all.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
steblick said:
he skates like a castrated duck"

This needs to be immortalized :lol

And if you ever feel like writing like this just for parody, I might actually be a paying customer if can come up with more stuff like this :D

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Vlad The Impaler said:
Jim, your breakdown page by page of Redline was appreciated. Thank you for that!

Would it be too much to ask you to do the same with ISS?

The 2004 ISS Draft Guide didn't vary too much from the 2003 version that is available as a free download from their website right now.

http://www.internationalscouting.com/prospects/draft guide2003.pdf

Here is their free preview of the 2004 Draft Guide:

http://www.internationalscouting.com/docs/2004draft-freepreview.doc

Here is the breakdown of the 2004 Guide:

Page 1 - Cover Page
Pages 2 & 3 - Team by team strength, weakness, forecast breakdown
Page 4 - 4 different mock drafts
Page 5 - Best and worst of the top 200, profile on Stanislav Lascek, a bit on Travis Howe joining ISS.
Pages 6-9 - ISS's top 200 prospects with about as much data as my top 100.
Pages 10-36 - Bios on ISS' top 100 prospects
Page 37 - CHL Top Prospects Game skills competition stats
Pages 38 & 39 - 2005 Draft stuff - top 25 and 7 short bios.
Page 40 - General ISS info

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
This needs to be immortalized :lol

And if you ever feel like writing like this just for parody, I might actually be a paying customer if can come up with more stuff like this :D

Actually scouts say stuff like this all the time to each other- I once heard "he skates like he's got a bowling ball up his butt"- to which another replied: "More like a bowling alley", stuff like that. That's fine- we all know what they mean. And it's kept inside the scouting circle too. But I also know some scouts who get a bit personal and mean-spirited in their assessments. If it happens too often, eventually the GM or DPP starts to think " Is this guy reliable?".

It's the same when scouts get heart-ons for certain types of players. I know one (ex)scout who lavished praise on any and every player who went running around the rink looking for big hits- the sum of the rest of the player's game might have been nil, in fact the player might often even miss the hit, but this guy would rave at the player's "teamwork and passion". Eventually, we had to start taking this guy's reports with a Utah lake-sized chunk of salt.

Enthusiasm for a good prospect and disappointment expressed in a poor performance is fine but when a scout starts acting or talking like a coach or parent...hmmmm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad