I Got My RLR Draft Guide Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Can't believe I'm about to suggest someone buys this but if you guys are really interested in what's in, I think you should buy it. It's only fair. With the number of questions that have been asked, I believe the answer would already give away a good munch of their draft report and only more questions will pop up.

I'm also curious about it but I'm still unsure if I will buy it or not. I'd prefer to buy a past issue to see the quality (comments that it is first rate are bogus. It's not first rate until we know how they fare in their assessments which takes a couple of years).

Based on the USAToday column, it still looks like not being my thing but I'm still on the fence. Anybody know if they sell past issues?

Prucha73

Vlad The Impaler said:
Can't believe I'm about to suggest someone buys this but if you guys are really interested in what's in, I think you should buy it. It's only fair. With the number of questions that have been asked, I believe the answer would already give away a good munch of their draft report and only more questions will pop up.

I'm also curious about it but I'm still unsure if I will buy it or not. I'd prefer to buy a past issue to see the quality (comments that it is first rate are bogus. It's not first rate until we know how they fare in their assessments which takes a couple of years).

Based on the USAToday column, it still looks like not being my thing but I'm still on the fence. Anybody know if they sell past issues?

I will not buy unless I see how in-depth description of each player is. And besides I think I have better things to do with $40. I was just curious about Tukonen, because I think he is one of the most interesting players this draft (to me at least).

MacDaddy TLC*

Vlad The Impaler said:

I got it in 2000 and thought it was great..................until Future Watch came out and the following summer when I saw my results of using it as my draft guide. My question to Kyle woodlief is how are Lars Jonsson, Michel Ouellet, Alexander Seluyanov, and/or Alexei Mikhnov coming along? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
MacDaddy Version 1.3 said:
I got it in 2000 and thought it was great..................until Future Watch came out and the following summer when I saw my results of using it as my draft guide. My question to Kyle woodlief is how are Lars Jonsson, Michel Ouellet, Alexander Seluyanov, and/or Alexei Mikhnov coming along? :mad: :mad: :mad:

:lol

Yeah, I know what you mean. And that's my problem with this. I don't care how in-depth or not any draft guide is. To me, that is not a sign of quality. What is a sign of quality is being ****ing accurate.

If you still have your copy of Ragline 2000, I'd buy it. (that is completely legal, BTW. So I hope nobody is going to freak out over this). PM me if you have it and are interested! :)

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:

Vlad, I recommend it, Ive been getting iot for the last four or so years. He generally has some left from the last few years so i would think you could buy those, just call him, hes a pretty good guy (the # is on his website). Kykle usually answers the phone himseld so you can ask him questions too.

One weakness is he tends to favor undersized skill guys a little too much which doesnt always project to the NHL. I think he had Hudler 6th last year for example and he has Radulov 4th this year. But who knows who the next St Louis will be?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Behn Wilson said:
Vlad, I recommend it, Ive been getting iot for the last four or so years. He generally has some left from the last few years so i would think you could buy those, just call him, hes a pretty good guy (the # is on his website). Kykle usually answers the phone himseld so you can ask him questions too.

One weakness is he tends to favor undersized skill guys a little too much which doesnt always project to the NHL. I think he had Hudler 6th last year for example and he has Radulov 4th this year. But who knows who the next St Louis will be?

I did not know you could buy past issues and I may well call him. I do have to say I like that the service seems to be personnal with the guy answering queries on the phone.

I'd rather buy it used if it's an old issue but barring that I think I'm going to buy an old guide from him.

Thanks for the heads up, Behn! :)

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Behn Wilson said:

I've noticed this too. For instance, he's in love with Parshin (30th) and Korpikoski is one of his favorites. And we all remember Chistov was ranked at #2. Overall though, I'd suggest their ranking of Hudler at top 10 really doesn't look that bad. Most rankins had him top 15, and it looks more like egg on the face of NHL GM's for passing on him so long at this point.

Overall, there will obviously be misses - just like every other draft guide, especially one that is an opinion rather than a consensus of what everyone else is saying (THN). The good thing about Redline is they list the guys they have much higher, and the guys they have much lower. The write-ups are also much more interesting, and their skill rankings are a lot of fun and insightful.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Redline sure gave it to Lammers. Next to Chris Bourque, he got the biggest ****kicking in the review. McKeen's, on the other hand, has Lammers as a favourite and just outside the 1st round.

Should be interesting.

I tend to favour McKeen's ratings. Redline gets a little too emotional, not the best quality in a scout.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
steblick said:
Redline sure gave it to Lammers. Next to Chris Bourque, he got the biggest ****kicking in the review. McKeen's, on the other hand, has Lammers as a favourite and just outside the 1st round.

Should be interesting.

I tend to favour McKeen's ratings. Redline gets a little too emotional, not the best quality in a scout.

That's what stands out to me about Woodlief, he's not exactly objective in his criticisms. I know everyone has their favorites/whipping boys, but he goes a little overboard IMO.

Stock Rocks

Feb 27, 2002
Billerica, Mass.
Visit site
steblick said:

Should be interesting.

Disagree.

Scouts are in a business of emotions. If they see players who lack passion, drive and character- essentially wasting their tremendous physical gifts, then why not get fired up over it?

The problem is- too many fans get their little panties in a bunch when Red Line goes off on their favorite wittle players. Oh, boo hoo! Cry me a river.

At least Red Line takes a stand...McKeen's and ISS tend to spend more time writing positive, generic reports that don't really hammer the underachievers.

MacDaddy TLC*

I think Woodlief is trying to make a name for himself by championing some smaller players in hopes that they do turn out to be the next gem that comes out of nowhere or going hard after certain kids (Shremp) in hopes that they bust and he can claim he was right from the start.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
MacDaddy Version 1.3 said:

Lars Jonsson is still developing over in Sweden, I hear he is making steps. Ouellet had a breakout season in the AHL and Penguin fans have high hopes for him, and Alexei Mikhnov needed glasses. His story reminds me of "The Wild Thing" in Major League. Hopefully now that his vision is corrected, we'll see all that raw skill he has put to good use.

Soyuz

Dec 8, 2003
Visit site
RussianProspects released a Draft Guide for the draft. I am a premium member of the site, so I contacted the guys over there to see if there is something different in the guide from what is on the site. I got a response today that the guide includes the 2004 Draft profiles (about a page each) that are available through the site, U18 WJC player recaps (which are a solid quarter-third of a page on most players) and rankings. The guide does not include recaps from previous tournaments, news or interviews with players. I think that's a pretty good deal for 9 bucks.

buddy

Jun 9, 2004
steblick said:

Should be interesting.

I think it has more to due with McKeens rarely seeing players and not having a lot of insight into them. Lammers is a prime example. How can a guy who walked out on his team be ranked that high when he is average size, average skater and doesn't like traffic.

X-SHARKIE

I like both Redline and Mckeens. What I see from both is great.

One thing should be noted.

Mckeenshockey.com was the first to see Andrew Ladd and accept him, where Redline was still ragging on Schremp. I think Korpikoski is a great player, and I would love the Sharks to trade up to get him...But he won't go top 10.

Some times I think redline feels like they need a sleeper to hype up so people think they dont' care what others think. Last year it was Kastisyn and he sure had a greeeaat year lol. Oh no I said somthing bad about Kastisyn, Habs fans well have me banned.

buddy

Jun 9, 2004
X-SHARKIE said:

Mckeenshockey.com was the first to see Andrew Ladd and accept him, where Redline was still ragging on Schremp. I think Korpikoski is a great player, and I would love the Sharks to trade up to get him...But he won't go top 10.

Lol that is very funny. Red line and ISS had ladd ranked long before McKeens did. Also Mckeens had one piece of information on him up until Jan. so you may want to rethink your claims. Also what does Ladd have to do with red line ragging on schremp that makes no sense. Do you even get Red line?

Last edited:

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
buddy said:
I think it has more to due with McKeens rarely seeing players and not having a lot of insight into them. Lammers is a prime example. How can a guy who walked out on his team be ranked that high when he is average size, average skater and doesn't like traffic.

dr. holiday is that you? Anyways, funny this comes from a guy with one post. Competitor with McKeen's perhaps?

buddy

Jun 9, 2004
:mad:
kingsfan said:
dr. holiday is that you? Anyways, funny this comes from a guy with one post. Competitor with McKeen's perhaps?

Why is it a rule that if you disagree with McKeens you are working for someone else???? No not dr. holaday sorry. :mad:

Stock Rocks

Feb 27, 2002
Billerica, Mass.
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:

Sorry, Max-

I subscribe to Red Line and McKeen's and RLR had Ladd ID'd high very early on. I want to say that he was in their top-10 before December rolled around. I know for a fact that they had the hype machine going for Ladd before McKeen's got on board.

Part 2 is that Red Line doesn't rank players based on where they think they will go in the draft. They rank them based on what the Red Line scouts think of them. This is a big difference from what you are saying, and they don't deserve the little shot you gave them there. Why? Because they qualify their issue every year by saying that players a, b and c will be picked later than where Red Line has them, and that players x, y and z will be picked sooner. An example cited before was Pierre-Marc Bouchard- whom they had in the middle of the draft order, but said ahead of time that they KNEW he would be picked top-10 based on some inside info. of a certain team being in love with him.

Why is this so hard to grasp, guys? Red Line does NOT rank players based on where they think they'll be drafted. They rank them based on if they were a 31st NHL team and were coming up with their own list.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
X-SHARKIE said:
Last year it was Kastisyn and he sure had a greeeaat year lol. Oh no I said somthing bad about Kastisyn, Habs fans well have me banned.

Sorry Max, but I don't see how Kastsitsyn had a bad year. It's not a bad thing that the 18 year old couldn't produce on the 4th line in the 11 games he played. What he did do was score 25 goals in 27 games in the 1st league, helped his team win their U-20 division and return to the WJC's next year, help his team in the Belarus mens league win their championship, and helped Team Belarus win their divison at the WC's as they also will be back with the big boys next year.

While I know his RSL stats are poor, he's helped his teams win. Next year, CSKA will have a new coach, a former Red Army star, so if he's not signed, hopefully he can catch on next year. His defensive game just flat out stinks. I've only seen 2 games of him, but from the limited viewing I've had, I'd say he's more skilled then Alex Perezhogin, and also bigger which should hopefully help him in North America. I still think he's one of the most skilled prospects not in the NHL.

X-SHARKIE

well I dont suscribe so I didnt' know what ISS and Redline were doing...My mistake...Should've kept it zipped...Sorry.

The first I ever seen of Ladd was in Mckeens draft update and they had his picture on the front page of the site.

Sorry for the mistake.

and Kastisyn ...sure can't blame him I guess, I just looked at the stats, but IMO he was disapointing overall, Steve Bernier didn't dominate the Q like I thought he did, but I still think he's a damn good prospect, and so is Kastisyn.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Stock Rocks said:
Disagree.

Scouts are in a business of emotions. If they see players who lack passion, drive and character- essentially wasting their tremendous physical gifts, then why not get fired up over it?

The problem is- too many fans get their little panties in a bunch when Red Line goes off on their favorite wittle players. Oh, boo hoo! Cry me a river.

At least Red Line takes a stand...McKeen's and ISS tend to spend more time writing positive, generic reports that don't really hammer the underachievers.

Wrong. A scout should retain objectivity. Getting too giddy about a player or angry at a player in Redline fashion makes it seem like they take it personally. For a coach that's OK. But a good scout reports at arm's length. It's not up to a scout to get upset, light a fire under a player's butt etc. as it can interfere with objective analysis. Likewise with the hyper-fanboy approach Redline sometimes takes to its fave players.
Of course scouts SHOULD take risks and say what they believe without reservation but not let emotions get in the way of good judgment.

And I'm not sure why you wrote your middle paragraph above. No one's crying here-certainly not me. I'm just stating what I find questionable about Redline. My comments didn't warrant that kind of response.
Actually, and ironically, that paragraph reminded me of Redline's style...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->