OT: The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I had a strange phone interview yesterday. There were 8 people on a conference phone, and I could only hear about half of them because the rest were sitting too far from the mics. Questions jumped topics pretty widely and pretty quickly. I don't even know if I'd accept the job, honestly, but it was there so I thought I might as well give it a whirl.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Interviewing isn't difficult. I'd say the biggest thing is be positive and be honest. Don't trash your current company. A quick google search will show you the most common interview questions.

The tough part for me is getting nervous and inside my own head.

The good thing with this one will be that if I get an interview, I don't need the job. So, that should help me relax as I am playing with house money.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Yep. Recruiters will tell you that 3 years is the point where they expect someone to start looking for something else.

Why do you think that is? People just get bored in the same role?

@Myllz
Ever stop and think that if the workers the recruiters counseled to look for a job every 3 years instead waited and looked every 6 years, the working world would need half as many recruiters?
A hefty portion of their guidance is self-preservation on their part...

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
@Myllz
Ever stop and think that if the workers the recruiters counseled to look for a job every 3 years instead waited and looked every 6 years, the working world would need half as many recruiters?
A hefty portion of their guidance is self-preservation on their part...

I'm sure it's a part of it. I average around that 3 year mark and I've only used a recruiter for one placement.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
What horrible thing did the people of Buffalo do that they should have to suffer Panic at the Disco performing a concert in their city???

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
So I'm trying to get a few people hired to help out my eventual replacement.
Between yesterday and today I've attempted to call 16 applicants.

• 4 didn't list working telephone numbers in their application/resume
  • 12 voicemails left
  • Of those 12, 2 have called back
And these are all people who have applied in the last few days so it isn't like I'm called old applicants.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

• 12 voicemails left
And these are all people who have applied in the last few days so it isn't like I'm called old applicants.

They are too busy complaining about how hard it is to get a job to call you back.

:sarcasm:

And the job I applied for on Sunday isn't showing up on the company's website any longer.

I haven't heard anything other than getting an automated reply to filling out the online form.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I'm not going to get a look.

Last edited:

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

• 12 voicemails left

I've been getting calls lately for somebody looking for a reference, from the previous owner of my phone number. Not great.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Interviewed someone a little while ago who dropped a couple references to, I can only imagine, caps' dman Christian Djoos. She was talking about losing a previous job once the place was bought by the Djoos. It wasn't a great first impression.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
What horrible thing did the people of Buffalo do that they should have to suffer Panic at the Disco performing a concert in their city???
BRING ME YOUR TIRED

there are four commercials that play during one Bills live:

Your kitchen is the heeaaaahhhhrt of yer hom- ray

XxXtra sharp cheddar...owch

Blue rock energy for the people of wny

And whatever event at the arena. I think I saw the Jeff Dunham commercial over 3,000x. Fleetwood mac

Reactions: sabremike

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
funny thing about this thread is that I have actually been working on a book for the last 3 years,but I'm not editing it yet really

I doubt any of you will buy it just because of how weird and literary it is, but hell, if it ever gets published I will post a link

I also drank one beer tonight and now I have a headache

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
funny thing about this thread is that I have actually been working on a book for the last 3 years,but I'm not editing it yet really

I doubt any of you will buy it just because of how weird and literary it is, but hell, if it ever gets published I will post a link

I also drank one beer tonight and now I have a headache

What’s the general idea/genre?

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
What’s the general idea/genre?
general idea has changed over time but as of now it's about this family that suffers multiple tragedies and the relationships they build around them inside of their own minds, but it's also kind of like a telepathic ghost story told from multiple perspectives, a father, mother, and son... lots of fairy tale like elements built in and one of the perspectives it's told from is just a view of question and answer conversations between this separated father and mother and how they've learned to understand each other and the events that have taken place. Time and setting are intentionally vague, plot jumps around in time. none of that stuff matters tho, I think what I have so far is cohesive from a story standpoint

Arguably none of these interactions are actually taking place outside of the various narrators' thoughts, but maybe they are. That's not the important part. it's kind of like a literary Terrence Malik movie if I had to give a vibe. Also not as dark as the subject matter implies, but it definitely is a book based on grief, for whatever that's worth. it's a pretty personal book if you were to give it to my closest friends, but it's not really based around things that have happened in my life. I heard someone once say that writing a novel is like exercising some type of demon. I think I agree. it has been a really cathartic process on the whole despite the challenges

Thanks for asking. I don't think I've ever described it that much to anyone before

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
general idea has changed over time but as of now it's about this family that suffers multiple tragedies and the relationships they build around them inside of their own minds, but it's also kind of like a telepathic ghost story told from multiple perspectives, a father, mother, and son... lots of fairy tale like elements built in and one of the perspectives it's told from is just a view of question and answer conversations between this separated father and mother and how they've learned to understand each other and the events that have taken place. Time and setting are intentionally vague, plot jumps around in time. none of that stuff matters tho, I think what I have so far is cohesive from a story standpoint

Arguably none of these interactions are actually taking place outside of the various narrators' thoughts, but maybe they are. That's not the important part. it's kind of like a literary Terrence Malik movie if I had to give a vibe. Also not as dark as the subject matter implies, but it definitely is a book based on grief, for whatever that's worth. it's a pretty personal book if you were to give it to my closest friends, but it's not really based around things that have happened in my life. I heard someone once say that writing a novel is like exercising some type of demon. I think I agree. it has been a really cathartic process on the whole despite the challenges

Thanks for asking. I don't think I've ever described it that much to anyone before
Sold!!!! If it ever gets published I want a signed copy :thumbu:

Speaking of books here's some interesting news that came out of the Whalers Weekend for the Yard Goats: an author was there interviewing HWBC members for a book on the history of the Whalers. I am surprised that it took so long for someone to do one, wish Jeff Jacobs would've done one because he absolutely would've told the story correctly.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Sold!!!! If it ever gets published I want a signed copy :thumbu:

Speaking of books here's some interesting news that came out of the Whalers Weekend for the Yard Goats: an author was there interviewing HWBC members for a book on the history of the Whalers. I am surprised that it took so long for someone to do one, wish Jeff Jacobs would've done one because he absolutely would've told the story correctly.
you got a deal.

it is strange that no one has written a book about the whalers before. I figured there'd be like 10 of those already

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
you got a deal.

it is strange that no one has written a book about the whalers before. I figured there'd be like 10 of those already
Essentially the only 2 I know of are Howard Baldwin's book "Slim and None" (which while not exclusively about the Whalers is the most in depth look at the team from founding until being sold to that idiot Rich Gordon) and a self published book by Jack Lautier called "Forever Whalers" that was in encyclopedia form and came out a few years after the team was murdered (book is long out of print but is available from Amazon used but quite expensive).

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
@valet as I was reading that overview, I found myself thinking about this book. I haven’t read it myself, but I’ve had it described to me. Sounds like you’ve got a very fascinating concept there. Keep at it!

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
anyone ever been in a situation where you are in a long distance relationship (over and hour and half drive). How’d it end up?

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
If the relationship is serious, one will have to move. Or else there won't be much of a future. Spending life so far away from eachother is not worth keeping up for years and years with no plans on moving in together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad