I finally got a chance to see Montoya play

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
Legionnaire said:
Tambellini? Or was that about Hensick. I confused.

When I'd written my original post mentioning Hensick I'd forgotten completely aboot Tambellini. Both impressed. Sorry for the confusion.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
CorneliusBennet said:
When I'd written my original post mentioning Hensick I'd forgotten completely aboot Tambellini. Both impressed. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks. :) It was the 'lack of size' phrase that had me confused because I had mentioned the same about TJ.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Enoch said:
Does Oreskovich play for ND? If so, how did he look.......if he stood out at all...

I think I remember the play-by-play crew mentioning that he has the most shots on the team but no points.

regdunlap7

Sep 28, 2003
lowell, ma
Visit site
Enoch said:
Does Oreskovich play for ND? If so, how did he look.......if he stood out at all...

Yeah he played and I was very impressed. Great skater and puckhandler. Drove the net pretty aggressively. Seemed a little puck-selfish and unaware of when it was a good time to pass and when it was ok to go 1-on-4, but the skills are definitely there. Has he been drafted? If so, by whom?

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
regdunlap7 said:
Yeah he played and I was very impressed. Great skater and puckhandler. Drove the net pretty aggressively. Seemed a little puck-selfish and unaware of when it was a good time to pass and when it was ok to go 1-on-4, but the skills are definitely there. Has he been drafted? If so, by whom?
Oreskovich was drafted this summer by the Avalanche. Hey Cornelius, or anyone else that watched the game, did either of Chad Kolarik or Kevin Porter stand out to you at all? Thanks man, I enjoy reading your reports on the games you watch.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Kimahri said:
Oreskovich was drafted this summer by the Avalanche. Hey Cornelius, or anyone else that watched the game, did either of Chad Kolarik or Kevin Porter stand out to you at all? Thanks man, I enjoy reading your reports on the games you watch.

Both Kolarik and Porter had strong games. Kolarik in particular impressed me with his offensive ability. He has a real nose for the net.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
CorneliusBennet said:
And Wes O'Neil and TJ Hencik.. I got the game tape of Notre Dame vs's Michigan off Tivo on friday night as the game was on Fox Sports Michigan. I have no idea what people see in Wes O'Neil. Hell, I think I would have drafted Wes Anderson (or even Wes Craven) ahead of O'Neil, but GM's love height. O'Neil is a log. NHL? Ha...

Would help if you had seen more than one game.

I saw that game as well as one or two others. He's not nearly as bad as you make it sound.

In the fourth round, it's a bargain. You're right that size helps when it comes to his appeal but come on, there's enough talent there that he wasn't picked up on size alone.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
Legionnaire said:
I hope so.

Anyone know why he opted out of last years draft? By all accounts 05' is much deeper than 04'; though the 05' draft seems to have more smaller players.

Hensick also stated that since he wasn't originally scheduled for that draft, he did think the scouts didn't watched him as much.

Remember the whacky NCAA rule where basically if he was to opt-in he would lose his eligibility, so no one really expected him available for the '04 draft... but then after the season was over (I think it was then) the NCAA passed a waiver so players could opt-in and keep their eligibility. But he said he talked it over with the coaches and scouts to get a feeling on where abouts he would be picked and ultimately decided to hold off a year to try and improve his stock.

As for Thelen, MSU's having a bad year all around, but even so I'd like to think their two star players in Thelen and Jim Slater could stand out above the rest. I think coach Comley said/hinted in the paper before the season that Thelen didn't come back in top physical condition, so perhaps getting drafted high went to his head and now he's paying the price for it.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
it's not so much o'niell's talent that concerns me...it's just that i saw some of those concerns people were voicing about him before and after the draft...bad decisions, bad passes, slow reactions...yes it is just one game and i'm sure he's played very well in other games, but when you see one thing with your own eyes and just hear the rest...well what can you do?

again it's not like he was god awful or something, i just saw some things of concern...

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Levitate said:
it's not so much o'niell's talent that concerns me...it's just that i saw some of those concerns people were voicing about him before and after the draft...bad decisions, bad passes, slow reactions...yes it is just one game and i'm sure he's played very well in other games, but when you see one thing with your own eyes and just hear the rest...well what can you do?

again it's not like he was god awful or something, i just saw some things of concern...

Along the same lines no prospect is perfect and just by looking at the scores I doubt anyone looked good for ND last weekend.

I honestly can't say I've seen any college hockey this year but I'm always impressed by players who lead their team in scoring (espcially defensemen).

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
ehh, obviously no prospect is perfect...but not every prospect makes those kind of mistakes, and when a guy is known for making those kind of mistakes...well, you just have to wonder a little bit.

but look, give him the rest of his 4 years in college, let him play a couple of years in the AHL, who knows? his game could improve and he could move beyond his percieved faults...i'm not gonna say he's a crappy prospect or anything...i'm just saying that from the little bit i saw, i can understand the current knocks on him. but with years of development, he could overcome those...

regdunlap7

Sep 28, 2003
lowell, ma
Visit site
Kimahri said:

Kolarik looked pretty good I thought. He was around the puck quite a bit and always seemed to be in the middle of the action. I can't remember any outstanding plays but my just my overall sense was that he has a real presence to his game (if that makes sense).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->