I feel like talking about Ray Emery

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Just one year ago, this guy was considered one of the top goaltending prospects in the world. He had just come off two great seasons in the AHL, and his last year of junior was named CHL Goalie of the year.

With the 2004 season locked out to begin the year, it seemed Emery lacked motivation, knowing that he had no chance of moving up to the NHL, and it showed in the AHL. He was off to a terrible start, the worst of his AHL career. As the season went on, he was slowly improving, but not playing to his full potential. Then, the NHL announced the season had officially been canceled, and it seemed Emery's play picked up. He was was much better for the rest of the season, and even won goaltender of the month to finish the season. Although the B-Sens were eliminated in the first round, it had nothing to do with Emery, who was their best player.

Still, even after picking it up to finish the year, it was considered a sub-par year for Emery and people were down on him. People questioned whether or not his temper was getting the better of him and taking away from his play.

No one knew what to expect from this guy coming into training camp this year. Martin Prusek was traded to make room for Emery to back up future Hall of Famer Dominik Hasek. Some fans were worried as to whether or not Emery could regain the form of his first two AHL seasons. He came into camp with a good attitude and played great in preseason. Still, fans were a little worried.

Heading into tonight, Emery was 3-0 with a 2.96 GAA and a .906 sv. pct. After tonight, those numbers will all improve. In Emery's 10 game NHL career, he is still undefeated. Montreal has only lost 5 times this season, 2 of which were against the Sens, with Emery in net for both. He's looked great so far this season, playing with tons of confidence.

I believe this guy is once again solidifying his status as one of the top goaltending prospects in the league. He's obviously not played as much as Lundqvist and Labarbera, and he's got a great team in front of him, but when he's been put in, he's showed he can play at this level and you can see why people were so high on him. It's very possible he will become Ottawa's starting goaltender next season.

I'm done now. :)

Roy G Biv*

SensGuy said:
Just one year ago, this guy was considered one of the top goaltending prospects in the world. He had just come off two great seasons in the AHL, and his last year of junior was named CHL Goalie of the year.

With the 2004 season locked out to begin the year, it seemed Emery lacked motivation, knowing that he had no chance of moving up to the NHL, and it showed in the AHL. He was off to a terrible start, the worst of his AHL career. As the season went on, he was slowly improving, but not playing to his full potential. Then, the NHL announced the season had officially been canceled, and it seemed Emery's play picked up. He was was much better for the rest of the season, and even won goaltender of the month to finish the season. Although the B-Sens were eliminated in the first round, it had nothing to do with Emery, who was their best player.

Still, even after picking it up to finish the year, it was considered a sub-par year for Emery and people were down on him. People questioned whether or not his temper was getting the better of him and taking away from his play.

No one knew what to expect from this guy coming into training camp this year. Martin Prusek was traded to make room for Emery to back up future Hall of Famer Dominik Hasek. Some fans were worried as to whether or not Emery could regain the form of his first two AHL seasons. He came into camp with a good attitude and played great in preseason. Still, fans were a little worried.

Heading into tonight, Emery was 3-0 with a 2.96 GAA and a .906 sv. pct. After tonight, those numbers will all improve. In Emery's 10 game NHL career, he is still undefeated. Montreal has only lost 5 times this season, 2 of which were against the Sens, with Emery in net for both. He's looked great so far this season, playing with tons of confidence.

I believe this guy is once again solidifying his status as one of the top goaltending prospects in the league. He's obviously not played as much as Lundqvist and Labarbera, and he's got a great team in front of him, but when he's been put in, he's showed he can play at this level and you can see why people were so high on him. It's very possible he will become Ottawa's starting goaltender next season.

Agreed. But it's kinda cool to have an unhyped prospect
;)

The Boot

Feb 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I think the big reason why he doesn't get hype is because there are a lot of quality goaltending prospects out there. You look at M-A Fleury, Kari Lehtonen, Cam Ward, Josh Harding, Yann Danis, Hannu Toivonen, Ilya Bryzgalov, Antero Niittymaki , Pascal Leclaire, Brent Krahn, David Leneveu and Henrik Lundqvist, these are just the goalies who are breaking into the NHL or will most likely be breaking into the NHL next season and most have similar accomplishments to Emery up to this point.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Its all about concentration if you're a sens goalie. Kind of the Glass at the world juniors, you dont get many shots but they sometimes come in flurries you have to be ready. As his new tatoo says "anger is a gift". He says it helps him stay sharp (the anger that is).

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
But the guy ate a cockroach for $500....

He can't be that bright ;)

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
lol, when I heard that he was a great fighter, I thought, yay, more toughness. Too bad that there is a worry that he might hurt his hand in a fight... goalie fights are the best. But his game tonight wasn't the best. As long as he gets the Ws I guess.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
The Boot said:
I think the big reason why he doesn't get hype is because there are a lot of quality goaltending prospects out there. You look at M-A Fleury, Kari Lehtonen, Cam Ward, Josh Harding, Yann Danis, Hannu Toivonen, Ilya Bryzgalov, Antero Niittymaki , Pascal Leclaire, Brent Krahn, David Leneveu and Henrik Lundqvist, these are just the goalies who are breaking into the NHL or will most likely be breaking into the NHL next season and most have similar accomplishments to Emery up to this point.

ward and lunqvisy shouldn't be in this list. they are bonified top goalies.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
SensGuy said:

:teach:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->