I dont understand

Brodano75

Расмус Дахлин
Apr 12, 2015
Coming from a background following Aussie Rules football, soccer and rugby, I dont understand the situation the sabres find themselves in. Each of the teams in these sports have someone in charge of sorting out coaches etc. None of them sit on their hands as much as GMs in the NHL seem to. If Housley had been as useless as this coaching in one of those sports, regardless of whether he was hired by the GM currently in charge, he would have been gone long ago. Some coaches last only 6 months when it becomes very clear they are not capable of doing a good job, and they get replaced. Yet it seems GMs in this league have a problem with firing someone they saw as "their guy" regardless of results. And then the owners fire them as well. Its been obvious for ages Housley cant coach this team yet its kicked down the road and addressed over the off-season. Why is this?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Huh? NHL GM's don't sit on their hands. Some owners don't want to pay multiple coaching salaries at the same time, but typically NHL GM's are quick to make a change.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Speaking of AFL let me check on how my team Carlton looks this season.

*looks*

FB_IMG_1553643691113.jpg

Reactions: lfcjari37

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
There's a lack of accountability in the Sabres organization from top to bottom. Eventually Housley will get fired but neither the GM nor ownership will accept responsibility for hiring him. If they fired him too soon, that would be admitting hiring him was a mistake. They have to let it fester and develop a powerful stink before they'll weakly utter "we've decided to go in another direction".
When Murray was fired, Terry Pegula said that he wasn't consulted and he didn't have any control. That he didn't know what was going on. Presumably they like Botterill because he keeps them informed. But when asked about the Sabres they do the Sergeant Schultz act, Golly gee I don't know about Phil, but Jason says he's ok. :laugh: I've become a big fan of Dallas Stars president Jim Lites after not initially approving of his behavior. This organization needs a leader with a backbone who isn't afraid to call a spade a spade.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I know nothing about the AFL, but it's my understanding that soccer teams have their managers on much shorter leashes than you'd experience in most north american sports.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I know nothing about the AFL, but it's my understanding that soccer teams have their managers on much shorter leashes than you'd experience in most north american sports.
There's a reason for that: almost everywhere in the world in soccer there is a system of promotion and relegation where the bottom 3 teams are sent to a lower division and replaced by the top 3 teams in that division. If the Sabres could get relegated to the AHL someone like Phil would've been fired in late January because the price for failure would be so high.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
There's a reason for that: almost everywhere in the world in soccer there is a system of promotion and relegation where the bottom 3 teams are sent to a lower division and replaced by the top 3 teams in that division. If the Sabres could get relegated to the AHL someone like Phil would've been fired in late January because the price for failure would be so high.

you're correct about the relegation. but even coaches who aren't in danger of making 'the drop' still get less leeway than is normal here.

Brodano75

Расмус Дахлин
Apr 12, 2015
Thanks for all the comments. I probably should have said GMs dont tend to fire people quickly enough. Botterill isnt the only GM who has allowed drift for longer than should ever happen on some crazy idea that whats clearly not working is suddenly going to turn around. I know in soccer coaches have very short leashes because of the threat of relegation but I cant believe in any sport a coach would be allowed to stay on with Housley's record. In Aussie Rules a number of years ago now a club sacked their coach after just on half the season because it was so obviously a mistake hiring him. We should have done the same months ago. What is there to review at season's end? Just fire him for gods sake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad