I don't understand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
Why did they play a round robin? Especially in North America. Russia finishes 2nd in the group and is "rewarded" with a game against USA in St-Paul, Minnesota? Why the **** did they even play the games? I realize they couldn't fly back to Russia, but making them play in a heavy pro-USA environment is utterly Pejorative Slured. And after that, the European teams will be at a disadvantage with the jet lag flying over to North America. This tournament is an utter joke. A quick cash grab before the players and owners tell the fans to **** off. Until they grow up and strike a deal of course, then they will be begging the fans to come back. Pro sports is a joke these days. Brett Hull tells the fans he doesn't give a **** about them. I guess he's willing to return the millions of dollars then? Because without those fans, Brett would be another joe schmoe skating around a rink with no one cheering and paying to watch his stupid ass. What really sucks is the only person who loses in this situation is the fan, and no one cares.

Anyways, that's my rant. This tournament is utter crap, but of course I will watch because I love the game of hockey. I just wish I could find a way to **** the players over as much as they do us.

lux_interior

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Waveburner said:
Why did they play a round robin? Especially in North America. Russia finishes 2nd in the group and is "rewarded" with a game against USA in St-Paul, Minnesota? Why the **** did they even play the games? I realize they couldn't fly back to Russia, but making them play in a heavy pro-USA environment is utterly Pejorative Slured. And after that, the European teams will be at a disadvantage with the jet lag flying over to North America. This tournament is an utter joke. A quick cash grab before the players and owners tell the fans to **** off. Until they grow up and strike a deal of course, then they will be begging the fans to come back. Pro sports is a joke these days. Brett Hull tells the fans he doesn't give a **** about them. I guess he's willing to return the millions of dollars then? Because without those fans, Brett would be another joe schmoe skating around a rink with no one cheering and paying to watch his stupid ass. What really sucks is the only person who loses in this situation is the fan, and no one cares.

Anyways, that's my rant. This tournament is utter crap, but of course I will watch because I love the game of hockey. I just wish I could find a way to **** the players over as much as they do us.

The answer is....

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

TML_FAN

Mar 1, 2004
Toronto
www.liberal.ca
Why is it a joke when it is played in North America, but isn't when it is in europe. They had to pools one North Americian and one European, sadly two euro teams had to be put in the North Americian pool. People will always find something to complain about :shakehead . Canada is the host of the tournament along with Minnesota. If team Canada would have finished fourth while the states had finished first they would have played in Minnesota. Why complain? Just buck up and play the game. Someone once said, that in order to be the best you got to beat the best.

Last edited:

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Its the best vs. the best. Its never going to be fair and perfect to all nations, and perhaps there is a better setup possible, but its still a fantastic tournament. A cash grab? One hell of an elaborate cash grab, and one which I greatly enjoy.

And Brett Hull gets caught whining, and you pin it on all the players. Right.

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
Why play the games?

I don't know - I guess you're theoretically supposed to enjoy watching the best players in the world take on each other in intense competition.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Yeah, Russia gets jobbed. They do the round robin so they can play the U.S. in the U.S. At least play the game in Canada or something, where the States don't have the advantage.

Same goes for Canada. They didn't have to play outside of Canada once. They at least should've played the U.S. in the States, and done the other two games in Canada.

Fincan

Aug 1, 2002
LordStanleysPlace
Visit site
Hercules Rockefeller said:
Yeah, Russia gets jobbed. They do the round robin so they can play the U.S. in the U.S. At least play the game in Canada or something, where the States don't have the advantage.

Same goes for Canada. They didn't have to play outside of Canada once. They at least should've played the U.S. in the States, and done the other two games in Canada.

Well Canada is the main host which is why thier game was in Canada. Had they met the US in the elimination games and the US finnished ahead of them then they would have played them in the US. How it is Canada earned home ice for the rest of the way. Had they "at least" played the US game in the US there would have been the exact same potential for the US to have played all of their games at home too. As it is the Only game that they didnt play was the one here, so I dont get your beef really. Canada gets all their games at home and the Us gets all but one (unless they face Canada again).

Yes the crowd can be a factor but these players should be pros and when it comes down to it, I think last change which Russia eanred could end up being the bigger factor.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
TML_FAN said:
Why is it a joke when it is played in North America, but isn't when it is in europe. They had to pools one North Americian and one European, sadly two euro teams had to be put in the North Americian pool.

next time around i suggest we relegate russia and slovakia, and promote mexico and guatamala to the world cup :lol

Knucklez

Jan 1, 2004
Behind the bench!
Visit site
Hercules Rockefeller said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Canada earn the right to play all their games in Canada by going 3-0?

I don't exactly agree about the tournament being a joke, I'll admit the setup is a little weird, but I don't care, this tournament has been a lot of fun to watch so far, lots of great hockey. It's a treat to watch teams like Canada, Sweden, and Russia, with all that talent.

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
Waveburner said:

Instead of trying to "understand", why don't you just enjoy this tournament and the hockey that is being played?? :dunno:

After all, it is looking more and more like this may be the ONLY hockey we get to see this season, and after next week, we may not see anything resembling the NHL for a long, long, long time. :teach:

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Lexicon Devil said:
Why play the games?

I don't know - I guess you're theoretically supposed to enjoy watching the best players in the world take on each other in intense competition.
Hmmm, it was really intense when Russia beat Slovakia and when the czechs beat Germany...

I liked the old format better when these games actually meant something.

High flyin' Habs*

Waveburner said:

Strange thing is that all of this crap is only happening in hockey, you dont see players in the MLB saying that they dont give a **** about the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->