I don't Recognize this Malkin

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I can't think it's that hard to go get a forecheck/backcheck/paycheck LW for Geno if that's what he needs.

Geuntzel Crosby Rust
XXXXX Malkin Hornqvist
Pearson Brass Kessel
Cullen Sheahan ZAR/Simon

Send one of ZAR/Simon out if that's what it takes, or deal Brass and roll Sheahan/Cullen.

Rust could be that guy. I know Sid's line is hot right now, but at some point it'll cool down and I think it'd be wise to flip Rust & Simon at that point.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Simon is good in tight spaces and I'd like to give that line a bit more time to see if they can build some chemistry. I thought tonight was a positive step in that process.

Simon tends to disappear for long stretches, then has a game or two like he did in NY to make people think he can play on a line with Crosby or Malkin, then disappears again. It's kind of like Josh Dobbs completing that 2 & 20 pass against Baltimore. One good play made certain fans (albiet a nutty faction) think that cemented Dobbs as the next franchise QB despite him absolutely sucking against Oakland. Simon will do a lot of nothing, but a couple good plays from 10 games previous make some people think he's a legit top-6er.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Simon tends to disappear for long stretches, then has a game or two like he did in NY to make people think he can play on a line with Crosby or Malkin, then disappears again. It's kind of like Josh Dobbs completing that 2 & 20 pass against Baltimore. One good play made certain fans (albiet a nutty faction) think that cemented Dobbs as the next franchise QB despite him absolutely sucking against Oakland. Simon will do a lot of nothing, but a couple good plays from 10 games previous make some people think he's a legit top-6er.

Playing with Crosby he’s on pace for 49 ES points so he’s been very good and consistent playing there (on pace for 32 ES points last season playing with Sid).

Their advanced stats are fantastic too in their time together over the last 2 seasons.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Reactions: td_ice

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Playing with Crosby he’s on pace for 49 ES points so he’s been very good and consistent playing there (on pace for 32 ES points last season playing with Sid).

Their advanced stats are fantastic too in their time together over the last 2 seasons.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick
The other winger opposite him when he is on a line with Crosby is usually Guentzel, not Hornqvist.

It changes the dynamic quite a bit, because Guentzel can do well pretty much everything (with and without the puck), while Hornqvist is limited in many areas (I mean puck skills and vision mainly). And in general, Horny's stright line game doesn't mesh well with Geno's, better with Sid's.

Plus Geno's line pretty much stuck with Johnson most of the time, and not Dumo-Letang (which is also changes the dynamic).

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The more i watch of Geno i think father time is starting to catch up to him.

Hes not a terrible player or anything, but hes not what hes used to be, hes lost his fastball.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Hes not a terrible player or anything, but hes not what hes used to be, hes lost his fastball.

This post will not age well when 71 brings his "A" game back. I'm telling you.. it's something like vertigo or something with his skate (100% speculation on my behalf). Or he has a lower body injury. He's at an all-time low in confidence.

But I know he will be back and this post will not age well.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
This post will not age well when 71 brings his "A" game back. I'm telling you.. it's something like vertigo or something with his skate (100% speculation on my behalf). Or he has a lower body injury. He's at an all-time low in confidence.

Malkin is missing his flow

tenor.gif

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

I'm not saying hes bad, he still has 50 points, but hes no where near what he used to be.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I just wish Malkin would simplify things when he's struggling. Instead, he makes matters worse by constantly trying to toe drag through the opposition or make low percentage cross ice passes at the opposition blue line.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I'm sure he'll have stretches where he'll play well. But he's never, ever been this bad. And again, a 32 year old player declining isn't unheard of.

I hope it is vertigo/injury/skate stuff. Although I continue to wonder how on earth it can be skate stuff. Like, this is a $10M/year player at the highest level of the sport with world class equipment staff...shouldn't we be able to figure it out?

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Officially concerned now. Where did ornery Geno go? Always used to get angry and carry the Pens alone. There’s no fire or desire.

I recall Sullivan saying this is the best shape Malkin had been in, so it can’t be fitness. And I’ve never seen him fall this often.

Possibly so many injuries are catching up to him? I always thought Bylsma shortened his career by letting him play hurt all the time 2010-2014. Not saying he’s finished, but he is a beat-up 32. I hope he gets out of this.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

So he declined rapidly in two months? Just poof, he’s a weaker and slower player after October? After putting up basically a 100 pt season last year? Injury prone Malkin is probably playing with an injury.

Reactions: Andy99 and Icarium

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I dont think its a nagging injury. IMO this looks like a slowly declining player finally realizing his limits on his body. I believe he's learning to adjust, but its painfully obvious he cant pull off the things he used to as often. He's a smart player he'll come around but every guy has his pride to keep intact.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Just guessing here obviously but with the way he played to start vs now, he's 100% playing injured.
There was that stretch where he was frustrated with whatever it was and the care level was real low too.

Now i see a guy that cares but the engine is failing him. Feet, hands, quick decisions with the puck. All not up to the start of the seasons levels.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He has won basically everything and has a family now and is getting older. Basic stuff.

He scored 100 points last year and was dominant in October. But yea he’s falling down every shift because he’s a complacent family man now.

Reactions: Jacob

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
He was dominant against the Ducks last week (brutal turnover notwithstanding). I don't know if it's injury or lack of concentration or whatever but I don't subscribe to the "He is too old now" school of thought.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Personally I think it's just the classic combo of a nagging-but-minor injury + lack of confidence. No reason to overthink this. Look at Murray earlier in the year, or Letang in previous seasons.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It's so weird though. He's either big on his skates, making passes, and have an okay shot.

Or he's falling down, turning it over, and never shooting.

And it flip flops throughout the game.

If it were really an injury, wouldn't he do nothing right the whole time??

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Last night was the worst I can remember ever seeing Malkin.

Personally, I think it's a combo of a nagging injury, frustration, and mental issues due to what happened in his home town.

I'm not buying into the "he's 32, he's past his prime" argument. Yes, he past his prime, but being past your prime isn't going to cause this switch flip. It's a combination of things, IMO.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Malkin just looks bored out there. He’s been inconsistent for years. He definitely takes shifts off. He doesn’t focus on the details of winning hockey. This isn’t a new revelation.

Maybe he’s saving himself for the playoffs I don’t know. I do know that he hasn’t been the same player since he signed that contract. Fortunately for us it is quite a bargain contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
We all have a right to an opinion, but damn. Yours deserves to be buried. I’m sure ‘Malkin doesn’t focus on the details of winning hockey’ is news to his trophy cabinet, and the team’s. Apparently a Calder, Hart Trophy, Pearson, two Art Ross’, a Conn Smythe, and three Stanley Cups is losing hockey. Leading the team many times when Crosby was injured or not playing his best, or when the other players had given up on the coach (Therrien, Bylsma, and Johnson all benefited from Malkin’s supreme play which enabled them to stick around after they had worn out their expiration date). Playing the best defensive hockey of his life in the critical games in all the Cup runs. Playing when he shouldn’t have, trying to help the team win.

One of the three best players of his generation and a certain Hall of Fame member. But you’re right, he’s a dumb hockey player who doesn’t focus on winning hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad