I don't Recognize this Malkin

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Penguins' started by Phil68, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Andy99

Andy99 Registered User

It’s possible he’s injured but I doubt it...I think his mental or confidence issues affect his skating...when he’s skating, he’s confident and a bully...I think when he’s healthy, any physical issues stem from mental issues, and not the other way around....

2. Riikolas Revenge

Riikolas Revenge Registered User

Malkin had stretches like this in the Bylsma era. All the same symptoms are there.

One of the things I've actually liked most about Sullivan in his tenure is that he made Geno way more consistent with his effort level. He became way less careless and paid more attention to detail. So this stretch has surprised me.

I'm not buying that he's hurt, or at least not that it's the lower body hampering his skating if he is. There were several segments yesterday where he was making power moves and pushing hard, like normal.

I think it's mental and that he'll be fine soon. Humans go through stretches where they struggle going to work on the daily. Not concerned.

pi314 and vodeni like this.
  3. KIRK

KIRK Registered User

He actually reminds me of a richer man's Joe Thornton in this respect. Yeah, eventually, he'll adapt more.

Of course, the other part of that equation would involve providing him with more support, not less, but I digress . . .

That right there is the biggest red flag for me. There's a guy who's always smiling and has boundless passion for the game. Right now? It actually seems like he'd rather be having a root canal than playing hockey. There's just no life (by which I mean enthusiasm and energy) there.

I mean, we all seem pretty sure that it will turn around. Personally, I'd like to see the slightest sign, because we're now nearly 7 weeks of this crap fest with less than a handful of Geno like periods total mixed in.

4. johntanner1787

johntanner1787 Registered User

Geno's in a slump right now but anyone who thinks he won't bust out of it soon hasn't watched a whole lot of Pens hockey over the last decade plus.

I also never understood why some pens fans in the past have actually wanted him traded. Malkin, along with Crosby, McDavid and Ovie are all generational talents that every franchise spends decades trying to get. You don't just trade players as decorated and talented as Malkin is just cuz he had a rough stretch of games...especially when he's helped you win 3 cups and counting

Also, considering the pens are now back in a playoff spot and are beginning to look a lot more like the pens of usual, Malkin getting his magic back would certainly bolster Pittsburgh's chances of getting a higher seed for the postseason

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Invalid cuz QoC and pixiesfanyo like this.
  5. Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory Registered User

Obviously Malkin just needs to grow a mustache.

6. shoplifter

shoplifter Registered User

woooohaaaa that gave me a good chuckle.

Honour Over Glory likes this.
  7. Honour Over Glory

The guy that suffers the most in the top 6 with the constant line-up shifting is Malkin and of course Kessel.

Crosby gets Guentzel 90% of the time on his wing, there's no change there. But Malkin? The guy gets shafted so much by this team, if tomorrow Malkin finally had enough if he got benched again and asked to be traded, I 100% would not fault him and hate him for it. I would totally get it.

Probably goes for Kessel too.

EightyOne likes this.
  8. shoplifter

shoplifter Registered User

If I was Malkin, I would love to be the #1 guy on a up and coming team. I donno it's like an actor going for a challanging role. It's human nature to want to see how high you can fly. Just to settle for #2 has got to be a strike against his way of thinking, especially being Russian.

I donno, of course it's only my opinion. He doesn't _seem_ like an alpha dog and for that (and many other reasons - primarily it being a team sport) matter and I can see why he stays and I can see why he would want to try out other teams.

I mean in this day and age players rarely have loyalty to one team. Sid will never play for another team. But he is the only one I can see 100% without a shadow of a doubt doing that. It's not like the golden age of sports where players played for one team their whole career.

Honour Over Glory likes this.
  9. Honour Over Glory

I don't think Malkin would, he loves the team but man, if I am 32yrs old and this sort of **** is going on, it might suck the fun out of things for me.

Ray Bourque isn't a good person for this because he was done a favor so he can finally win a cup, but he's also a guy I never thought would suit up for any other team but the Bruins. Of course, Colorado hilariously retired his number after a year and a 1/4 of work.

EightyOne likes this.
  10. Beauner

Beauner Registered User

It's a chemistry issue. Sid and Guentzel work well together, ergo they play together. Malkin and Kessel have showed flashes of playing well together, but the inconsistency and (usual) apathy towards defense can make that pair look brutal sometimes. Pearson hasn't been a great fit on that line, and he's never really shown great chemistry with anyone else on the roster except maybe Rust oddly enough.

When Neal was here, he and Geno had unreal chemistry. So they played 90% of the time together.

11. Pengwins

Pengwins Registered User

Agreed. Even in the past when he was in a slump he never looked as bad as he does now

12. The Old Master

The Old Master Registered User

and he's been waiting for a "neal" replacement ever since. you know, kind of like the player that shall not be named. :)

13. NMK11

NMK11 Registered User

Probably off topic, but I love this analogy, it's what he's going to become at some point. Part of me wonders if getting Malkin out of his funk is to let him transition into a "3C". Give him energetic, two-way players and give him more balanced zone starts. He always looks so much better when he's engaged the entire length of the ice. Maybe even play him on the PK some, they're doing it with Crosby, but Malkin has always looked great at it the few times he's done it as a Pen or with Russia.

pistolpete11 likes this.
  14. johntanner1787

johntanner1787 Registered User

In the last couple weeks, they've beaten the Islanders twice, along with the Avs, Bruins, Jets, Stars, and Jackets (all quality playoff teams). This team is finally trending back in the right direction for the first time since the Canada road trip in October.

15. pixiesfanyo

pixiesfanyo Registered User

Home Page:
    I think when he gets bad you strap Simon and Hornqvist to him. Issue is where the hell do you put Kessel then?

16. pistolpete11

pistolpete11 Registered User

I had this same thought.

Guentzel - Crosby - Kessel
    ZAR - Malkin - Rust
    Pearson - Brassard - Sheahan
    Grant - Cullen - Dea

ZAR and Rust are both hot offensively which might help as well, but they are reliable defensive players. Admittedly, the 3rd line is kind of ugly, but it would look better with either Simon or Hornqvist back.

17. 42

42 Registered User

Things are always worse now than they were in the past syndrome?

18. DocEmrickSkitters

DocEmrickSkitters Registered User

Malkin has been my favorite Penguins since he came into the league in 2006. I've always had an affinity for the "second star" that is underappreciated while the main guy - Crosby - gets the glory. That plus the highlight mix he had with Magnitogorsk was incredible, except for the horrible Russian metal soundtrack. He has absolutely delivered as a Pen, aside from his "letdown" years of '09-'10 and '10-'11.

With that said, his play has been bad for a month, the penalties he takes are increasingly selfish and lazy (notwithstanding the one in OT where Guentzel made the terrible change) and he was embarrassing on Saturday night. I don't like management or Sullivan that much anymore - I haven't since they tried to "bring the band back together" after 2017 which was an awesome but very fluky cup win - but Geno's under performance is first and foremost on him. If he plays like that again tonight, he should be scratched the next game.

And whoever wants him and Kessel to play together, whether it's Sullivan or the two players needs to wake up. Malkin is playing lazy, stupid hockey right now. Kessel has good vision, wrist shot and speed but is below average to outright bad at everything else; his defense is obviously a train-wreck and for a "skilled" player he is also remarkably bad at receiving passes cleanly. Add those two up and Kessel/Malkin is guaranteed to surrender a grade A chance every single shift they are out there together.

19. DocEmrickSkitters

Crosby if you are chasing the game. Sheahan (or even Cullen) can babysit Kessel otherwise. Just, please no more Kessel-Malkin 0r Kessel-Brassard.

pixiesfanyo likes this.
  20. Honour Over Glory

I wonder sometimes, if Neal wasn't such a selfish *****e, if he would have taken a 4m/yr contract to reunite with Geno.

JJ wouldn't be here.

Sidgeni Malkby and Beauner like this.
  21. Sidgeni Malkby

Sidgeni Malkby Registered User

Crosby wanted him here. You know that. I know that. We all know that.

Some rumor he plays well in the playoffs :naughty:.

22. Honour Over Glory

But..but...JR!

In all honesty, I wouldn't be shocked if Crosby had a lot to do with it.

Wouldn't be the first time the team signed someone because Crosby was a friend or a fan. GM can't let his players make dumb choices for him, makes him an idiot too.

[​IMG]

23. DocEmrickSkitters

I have a theory that I haven't researched that says that our insane 5-year term for Johnson has something to do with giving him financial security that he never got to experience due to his parental situation. Sid may have asked them to do it and JR rationalized to himself that he'd play better if his mind was at ease.

It's really the only way I can make sense of 5 years for this guy.

24. Sidgeni Malkby

Sidgeni Malkby Registered User

I guess you forgot about our Czech coach during the Jagr days :D, or coaches getting fired left and right with Mario. We got rid of Zubov because Mario didn't like that he didn't shoot enough on the PP. Penguins super stars getting things is nothing new. Honestly overall Malkin and Crosby have been really really good about things.

You know we like reclamation project, and especially on D. With our track record with Niskanen, Daley, Cole, and Schultz, I bet JR felt we could wave our magic wand and make it happen again.

I would think Crosby endorsed , and that maybe that increased his value in JRs mind (aka keep his star happy and fill a hole) and made him give a 5 year deal instead of a 2 year deal. I'm completely speculating here, but something along the lines of DocEmrickSkitters below.

I'm a little boggled by the 5 year deal friend or no friend of Crosby. It's possible as you said, fix his mind, and that will his game on the ice.

Honestly I'd like to see what he brings in the playoffs. I remember watching him years ago on LA in the playoffs and he controlled the ice pretty well. Maybe he has another gear. It's also possible our system doesn't suite him well.

25. vodeni

vodeni Registered User

what is up with that reporting from canada that Duper gave an interview saying about riff between Malkin/Kessel and Sully
    nevermind its in another thread