I don't Recognize this Malkin

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Malkin’s linemates have been garbage. When you make 10 gorgeous passes a game and your linemates do nothing with them, you eventually stop trying as hard. Malkin should go into ‘do everything yourself’ mode and start shooting like crazy. He just hasn’t gotten motivated to do that lately. Crosby often has the same problem with not shooting for weeks at a time.

Sm art hockey players want to use their brains/skills to make plays, not smash everything at the net and look for rebounds. It’s the nature of most talented players.
the coach just found out how much abuse he'll take. get him some help and he'll be ok.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
He hasn't been good, that's for sure. But on a list of things kn worried about, geno is #7 or 8.

There are far bigger issues on this team than geno

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I love the Russian Machine, man, cause you see, the Geno can never break, it can only become mediocre.

There would never be a God Mode Geno temporarily out of order sign, there would just be a Geno Machino is temporarily better than 75% of the league sign.

Sorry for the convenience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozz

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
See I think Malkin should be moved to wing for a week or two, just to get him in that "scoring first" mindset and take some of that defensive pressure off of his plate to get him producing again. That CAN be accomplished.

Guetnzel, Crosby, Kessel
Pearson, Brassard, Malkin
Aston-Reese, Sheahan, Rust
Cullen, Grant, Dea

They've done it with Brassard, Sheahan, and countless other players that can play W/C. But they haven't with Geno. I get it, he's a center, no **** right? But he's also not producing and he just looks off, he has to put the fun back into his game and I think that can be accomplished with him as a winger.

Even if you rotated Kessel and Geno on the RW on the top 6 with Sid & Brass, it'd be worth a shot.

Guentzel, Crosby, Malkin/Kessel
Pearson, Brassard, Kessel/Malkin

Moving Geno to wing at all would be my last resort...there's a lot of things I'd try before that.

I mean, since Brass is already being used in a wing role, why not try him with Malkin? I'd much rather him be at center too, but Sully won't give him a capable wing combo.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Actually, I think the crap stars are all aligned this year to ensure that, no matter what anyone tries to so about it, they converge into a massive, season long dump of reeking mediocrity.

Reactions: vodeni

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The indifference on the GWG tonight was just bizarre to me. I assume it was because he was furious about almost losing the game a few seconds before multiple times, but he has to be hurt.

I haven't liked his body language for a while. No matter who he plays with he looks pouty lately. I can only assume he's either hurt or immensely frustrated at his own game.

I don't think it's coaching related because Sid looks so good and if Geno was sulking because of Sullivan then Sid would surely talk to him and help him snap out of it. Or mutiny alongside him lol.

Reactions: EightyOne

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The god mode galloping Geno version may be gone forever.

Can people stop overreacting to Geno? It’s obvious he’s frustrated at his game as a skilled player, and he doesn’t want to play the ground and pound hockey that Sully is advocating ... he’ll be better, especially when Horny returns, although god knows what’s going on there...the situation is beginning to remind me of Letang 2017

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
He's old, what do you expect? Geno is like 32 years old and that is where guys start to slow down. He's just gonna have to change his game a bit to be productive. He will so stop worrying.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
He's old, what do you expect? Geno is like 32 years old and that is where guys start to slow down. He's just gonna have to change his game a bit to be productive.

He was also 32 years old a month and a half ago where he looked like one of the top contenders for the Art Ross, though.

I think he looks bad, but I thought Sid had worse stretches last season and people were like “he is just saving it for the playoffs”.

There were plenty of people saying "Sid is finished", to be fair. Overreaction is strong on this forum. :)

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

Just a reminder, it’s been a while since we’ve seen that Geno.

Much as Kessel has done for us, I think Malkin plays badly with him. They get points, but kill momentum and lose the puck. Stop appeasing Kessel..and Malkin.

Reactions: Andy99

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The indifference on the GWG tonight was just bizarre to me. I assume it was because he was furious about almost losing the game a few seconds before multiple times, but he has to be hurt.

I haven't liked his body language for a while. No matter who he plays with he looks pouty lately. I can only assume he's either hurt or immensely frustrated at his own game.

I don't think it's coaching related because Sid looks so good and if Geno was sulking because of Sullivan then Sid would surely talk to him and help him snap out of it. Or mutiny alongside him lol.

Throw my hat in the ring of those a tad concerned about his body language. It really took off against Boston. We have a 1 goal lead and he lollygag turns out of his own d-zone and cheats up ice looking for a breakaway. It's a tie game and he's bouncing the puck off his stick like he doesn't care as he leaves the B's zone heading back to out zone. Then he skates off as if he's annoyed that he even has to play. Last night's game winner... very strange.

We aren't around him to see how his attitude is at practice and what not, but that was very concerning to me. If you are struggling, there is no need to do those things. Simplify your game.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Whenever Malkin slumped in the past, we all said it was because he was trying too hard. Emotion has never been an issue for him. I never doubted he was doing his best. He’s acting strange now, he looks like he doesn’t want to be in the game. I think separating him and Kessel is essential; people have this affection for Kessel, but he has been dramatic everywhere he’s been. He lasts 2 or 3 years. Together, they don’t play right.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Look, the dude cares...he doesn’t look like he wants to be on a beach in Miami (I do though).... people need to chill..

he just needs to take some advice from Glenn Frey and take it easy: don’t let the sound on your own wheels drive you crazy, lighten up while you still can, don’t even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand....

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Whenever Malkin slumped in the past, we all said it was because he was trying too hard. Emotion has never been an issue for him. I never doubted he was doing his best. He’s acting strange now, he looks like he doesn’t want to be in the game. I think separating him and Kessel is essential; people have this affection for Kessel, but he has been dramatic everywhere he’s been. He lasts 2 or 3 years. Together, they don’t play right.

But when he's given other wingers not named Phil Kessel he still looks like he's not interested. It's very unusual. The only thing that comes close to this is the 2015 start for Sid. Sid look disinterested, took really lazy routes to plays, wasn't confident at all, and he admitted he doubted himself greatly. That's the only close thing to relate this to. Other than that, it's very unusual to see this from G. When he's at his worst, his heart is never in question.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Throw my hat in the ring of those a tad concerned about his body language. It really took off against Boston. We have a 1 goal lead and he lollygag turns out of his own d-zone and cheats up ice looking for a breakaway. It's a tie game and he's bouncing the puck off his stick like he doesn't care as he leaves the B's zone heading back to out zone. Then he skates off as if he's annoyed that he even has to play. Last night's game winner... very strange.

We aren't around him to see how his attitude is at practice and what not, but that was very concerning to me. If you are struggling, there is no need to do those things. Simplify your game.

That thing where he was bouncing the puck in the air with his stick at the opposition blueline was a microcosm of his current play. It was weird to watch.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Can people stop overreacting to Geno? It’s obvious he’s frustrated at his game as a skilled player, and he doesn’t want to play the ground and pound hockey that Sully is advocating ... he’ll be better, especially when Horny returns, although god knows what’s going on there...the situation is beginning to remind me of Letang 2017
I am referring to the more athletic side of his game.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'm not terribly concerned yet. It doesn't look to me like he's quit on the team or coach or anything like that. He's just seems to be a mess right now and has no confidence.

Our division sucks so he has plenty of time to figure this out, luckily we don't necessarily need him to be great to get into the top 3 in this division.

Reactions: Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad