I don't like too many threads but HYMAN and BABCOCK

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Babcock came in, and he certainly lit up our nation of Leaf fans.

He certainly did me. I was excited.

Coming in, he created such a great last place overall team, it was cool for me to watch.

Despite being last overall, we had structure, we competed. He created an opportunity for guys to go elsewhere in the NHL and have a second chance.

But despite all that, he traded for an ageing AHL guy who many thought was over the hill

What I didn't know and what many I imagine didn't, was that Mike Babcock took a special interest, in this HYMAN. Since, HYMAN, played nearby where BABCOCK COACHED.

I have to admit, I was not an immediate fan of ZACH

But I am such a lover of this brand. I don't go hard on any of our boys. Just like momma said, don't say anything, if ya got nothing good to say.

One of my points/questions. Would Zach Hyman, ever had been anyone, been known to a single Leaf fan, if it had not been for Mike Babcock.

You want to stay pals with ex NHLERS, like I have.... lol, you don't ask these types of questions.

So I am puzzled as much as anyone else. Would Zach, played at the NHL LEVEL, if not for IRON MIKE 2.0

I honestly don't know.

But we saw a guy, that almost everyone on this board and every other board, threw vitriol, negativity, and worse towards the guy.

Me..... I shut the FU. When he scored that insane goal against Boston in the playoffs.

To this boards credit. Heck, we all stfu after that effort, Suddenly mikes guy, became our guy.

Now we all love the guy.

NAME, ONE GUY, WHO WENT FROM BUM TO KING in LEAFS HISTORY.

There is not one. Not one.

But forget that, would he have made the NHL, if not for Mike Babcock.

Could have been a new thread, I don't like a preponderance of new threads, maybe its just me.

Reactions: BTP and frog

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I liked Hyman from early on and many did. It was thought at the time Leafs had a winning trade on their hands but if Babs was directly responsible as intel to go get him thank a big thank you for sure.

Essential player for the Leafs in my opinion.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yes, he would have been an NHLer without Babcock forcing him onto the top line as a grinder. Ironically, Hyman has evolved into a legit threat as a puck carrier. Something he'd probably never have become under Babcock as he had been forced into a 3rd wheel role

I have to argue against this. Babcocks main thing was that he believed Hyman was an amazing possession player who could get Matthews/Nylander the puck

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I have to argue against this. Babcocks main thing was that he believed Hyman was an amazing possession player who could get Matthews/Nylander the puck
his job on that line was to win the puck back and control it as little as possible. He'd never carry the puck from his own end into the other zone and make plays like he is now

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Babcock came in, and he certainly lit up our nation of Leaf fans.

He certainly did me. I was excited.

Coming in, he created such a great last place overall team, it was cool for me to watch.

Despite being last overall, we had structure, we competed. He created an opportunity for guys to go elsewhere in the NHL and have a second chance.

But despite all that, he traded for an ageing AHL guy who many thought was over the hill

What I didn't know and what many I imagine didn't, was that Mike Babcock took a special interest, in this HYMAN. Since, HYMAN, played nearby where BABCOCK COACHED.

I have to admit, I was not an immediate fan of ZACH

But I am such a lover of this brand. I don't go hard on any of our boys. Just like momma said, don't say anything, if ya got nothing good to say.

One of my points/questions. Would Zach Hyman, ever had been anyone, been known to a single Leaf fan, if it had not been for Mike Babcock.

You want to stay pals with ex NHLERS, like I have.... lol, you don't ask these types of questions.

So I am puzzled as much as anyone else. Would Zach, played at the NHL LEVEL, if not for IRON MIKE 2.0

I honestly don't know.

But we saw a guy, that almost everyone on this board and every other board, threw vitriol, negativity, and worse towards the guy.

Me..... I shut the FU. When he scored that insane goal against Boston in the playoffs.

To this boards credit. Heck, we all stfu after that effort, Suddenly mikes guy, became our guy.

Now we all love the guy.

NAME, ONE GUY, WHO WENT FROM BUM TO KING in LEAFS HISTORY.

There is not one. Not one.

But forget that, would he have made the NHL, if not for Mike Babcock.

Could have been a new thread, I don't like a preponderance of new threads, maybe its just me.
I want to just point out some misinformation here. Hyman only spent 1 season in the AHL but that was with the Marlies. They never traded for an "aging AHLer" who was "over the hill". He had just finished college and didn't intend on signing with Florida

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I am sure Hyman would have been in NHL one way or another; but don't think he would be a Leaf if it wasn't for the old management.

Dubas wouldn't have gotten a player like Hyman for us back in the day

altho he was hyman’s agent and Hyman was rumoured to sign with the Leafs after college because he wanted to be a maple leaf so bad and didn’t think he’d crack Florida’s line up. So who knows?!

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Agreed!

Matthews was entering NHL; having Hyman and Brown next to him would have helped him on the defensive side of the things and the boards in the offensive zone.

In the earlier years Nylander and Matthews couldn't do much near the boards; if it wasn't for Hyman they would enter offensive zone and then exit as quickly LOL

Everyone has their roles and there is a reason it is a "team" game.

Matthews has come a long way in terms of playing a 200 foot game and playing near the boards; Nylander still needs to improve his board game and playing body; same with Marner. Given Nylander's physique I expect him to improve on this faster than Marner assuming both marner and nylander want to take their game to the next level.

Reactions: francis246

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
altho he was hyman’s agent and Hyman was rumoured to sign with the Leafs after college because he wanted to be a maple leaf so bad and didn’t think he’d crack Florida’s line up. So who knows?!

Florida's hockey philosophy was way different compared to what Babcock wanted.

From teh stories I read, Babcock watched a lot of Hyman when he coached the Red Wings and was impressed with his work ethic so he asked for Hyman to be signed with the Leafs.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Did ANYONE notice after Zach carried the puck like a trooper up the entire ice against, Boston, we ALL collectively. Shut up.

Well I did anyways, I knew what I had just seen.

I shut up. Never said a bad word ever again against Zach.

STILL, the question remains. question remains. Would this guy be still playing hockey.

Anywhere, cept for iron mike 2.0

I POSIT, no.

WHERE, would he be..... if it wasn't for IRON MIKE 2.0

Again, not a best friend of BABS.

But come on, this guy gave us Hyman IMO.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Did ANYONE notice after Zach carried the puck like a trooper up the entire ice against, Boston, we ALL collectively. Shut up.

Well I did anyways, I knew what I had just seen.

I shut up. Never said a bad word ever again against Zach.

STILL, the question remains. question remains. Would this guy be still playing hockey.

Anywhere, cept for iron mike 2.0

I POSIT, no.

WHERE, would he be..... if it wasn't for IRON MIKE 2.0

Again, not a best friend of BABS.

But come on, this guy gave us Hyman IMO.

I still remember the memes and posts about hyman... "babcock's son" LMAO

whatever.... I am thrilled to have Hyman on the team; and hope we re-sign him and dubas doesn't F-up the signing.

Reactions: Cleetus

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
you think Dubas was Hyman's agent when Hyman got traded to the Leafs? What?

look at dubas and hymans history. see when dubas was working as an agent who were his clients. if you want to claim that hyman is a leaf beause dubas that is incorrect. you can claim that all you want doesn't make it true.

many stories have said that babcock wanted hyman because he saw hyman play alot when he coached the redwings.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
his job on that line was to win the puck back and control it as little as possible. He'd never carry the puck from his own end into the other zone and make plays like he is now

People on these boards would trash Hyman if he didn't give those 2 the puck. They disliked Hyman playing with them and blamed him for holding those 2 back from being their best. They believed Hyman wouldn't have as big of a role with Keefe and Dubas running things and they were wrong. They just don't like to admit that maybe Babcock was a better coach than people on these boards gave him credit for. New coach now and have the same problems though.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
look at dubas and hymans history. see when dubas was working as an agent who were his clients. if you want to claim that hyman is a leaf beause dubas that is incorrect. you can claim that all you want doesn't make it true.

many stories have said that babcock wanted hyman because he saw hyman play alot when he coached the redwings.
you're the one who claimed Dubas would never bring in a guy like Hyman even though he was literally the person who traded for him. Are you really going to try to pretend otherwise?

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Is it politically correct, to hate Mike Babcock

Free wallet.

Mike Babcock

Would hyman be playing even in the echl now. as his father is uber rich......

Apart from Wayne Cashman.

I have never seen a player this complex, ever, in the blue and white.

My qestion, would this guy have seen a day in the NHL without BABCOCK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad