I don't know about the goaltending?? Glass and Beauchemin....

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
The goaltending has been the big question mark all along and now with the naming of Glass and Beauchemin, I think it's even a bigger question mark? Both goalies really have little experience in international play and Beauchemin has been playing horribly this year in PA. I thought with Nastiuk having won an U18 gold he would have the inside track?

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
I think that Glass has had a solid camp. He looked the most focused last night in the game with the Bisons. I really believe that he'll be named the starter.

I was quite surprised that Beauchemin was named to the team. He played quite poorly last night, however he did make a couple awesome saves.

I thought for sure that it would have been Glass - Nastiuk. Oh well.

I'll put my money on Glass starting with Beauchemin backing him up.

Avery4Byng*

Yeah I am a little surprised thast Nasty was cut I fugured he was a shoe-in. I would have so say now thast Beauchemin would be the starter.... I am not sold on Glass.

flip588

Mar 22, 2004
From what I've heard Beauchemin's camps were much better than his play this season. Is this something you agree or disagree with?

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
I was very impressed by Glass when I saw him this season. He's big and plays big. Covers a lot of the net. Didn't flop all over the place, played a butterfly and took away the bottom of the net. I haven't seen Nastiuk or Dubnyk this year but Glass impressed me as much as any keeper I've seen in the dub in the past few years.

Reminded me a bit of Brent Krahn in the WHL actually.

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
I would say Beauchemin's had a stellar camp. I think him, Nastiuk, and Glass have played better than Dubnyk.

I figured that a lot would have been determined based on last night, because I figured these three were neck and neck. And I thought Beauchemin laid an egg last night.

But that was one night, and Beauchemin has proved himself in the past. And he's a fellow Winnipegger!

I'll still say Glass as a starter

bruins_19

Dec 1, 2004
Dissapointed that Nastiuk was cut. Big game goalie. Showed that by being the MVP last year in the playoffs.

Mach

Mar 20, 2004
Vancouver
Nastiuk was coming into the camp far too overrated.
For how well the Tigers started the season, I'm sure many goalies could have put up his numbers.

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
Nastiuk's numbers were on the upswing ever since the end of November. Hard to notice, but they have gone up, and Medicine Hat has suffered. He's not at his best right now. He was great from last year's playoffs through his hot start, but has cooled off approaching mid-season.

Both will get an opportunity to start, but I predicted Glass when the 4 were named, so I'll stick with him for the medal rounds.

GorillazXL

Jun 21, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
IMHO if there is a position where Canada is hurting at this year is in at goaltending. Last year they should of had taken a '85 goaltender to gain some experience but they went with 3 '84 palyers :dunno: . This year in a bit of a different situation in the sense they don't have one outstanding goaltender like Fleury, so the decision may not of had been as easy but they had 4 players who are very close to one another (skill wise). IMHO they should of had taken Ellis, Shantz (should of gotten invited) or Dubnyk, along with one of Nastiuk, Glass, or Beuchemin.

GXL

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Not too familiar with all the WHL goalies, but Pierre Maguire said Glass is the most fundamentally sound goaltender of the bunch. Maybe the brass has a great deal of confidence in the team (skaters) and just picked the goalie who they felt would be most reliable, in terms of not letting in any softies and insuring the opposition earns their tallies.

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
The problem with Dubnyk and Shantz is they haven't been having banner years. They're underachieving this year. Doesn't mean they don't have talent, but they aren't the most reliable right now.

I'm still surprised Munce didn't get invited over Dubnyk, but I guess they gave Dub's talent a shot.

Simply put, these goalies aren't even close to the high quality of the backups of the last two years... I'd rather have a 19 year old LeNeveu or Harding than these two (even a Ward or Deslauriers who didn't make the team); but it's the best of what we've got right now.

SENSfreak_03

Aug 30, 2002
Regina, SK
Visit site
i hope glass gets the edge, being a sens fan, but i think he may also get the edge for other reasons. in kootenay glass faces very little shots, and remains very focused in the nets, and gets the job done. if you look at the team we have up front, i think it is a very distinc posibility that we wont be giving up many shots, at least that should be the plan. lots of offence, and a solid defence. glass is used to this kind of game. we shall see.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
They're as solid goalies as you could have at this tournament IMO. As for their selections, a synopsis would be:

Beauchemin was picked because of his play at previous camps and tournaments, Glass was picked for current play in the WHL.

Upchuck19

May 6, 2003
Visit site
I haven't seen Beauchmin play too much, but I have seen Glass more and he always keep his teams in the game. Either way from what you hear, the two best goalies are still in camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->