i cant say i understand the PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Why is it a forgone conclusion around here by most that the NLRB will automatically side with the owners and give their blessing to the impasse and implementation? Becuase there's a 3-2 split favoring republicans? If each and every case that went before the NLRB was voted 3-2 in favor of business, why have an NLRB? Why not just force all unions across the land to accept whatever business tries to force down their throats? Republicans don't have to automatically vote in favour of business. I for one would like to think they would actually listen to the case and vote on its merits.

And for everyone claiming the players won't get a better deal than the one they could have negotiated last week, you're right. But same goes for the owners. How are they better off because of this? Sure, they might end up with a lower cap, but with drastically lower revenues, even with linkage, they are going to be far worse off as well. Why is no one lambasting the owners for not negotiating the best deal they could get last week?

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
Russian Fan said:
1B$ =

loss of this year which we don't know
+
franchise devaluating
+
sponsorship deal cancelled
+
refunding season ticket holder

Thing is if the owners get a cap eventually the franchise values may triple in a short period of time so the short term loss will be off set by a long term gain. At least that is what is being speculated and the owners are willing to take that gamble.

SENSible1*

gc2005 said:
Why is it a forgone conclusion around here by most that the NLRB will automatically side with the owners and give their blessing to the impasse and implementation? Becuase there's a 3-2 split favoring republicans? If each and every case that went before the NLRB was voted 3-2 in favor of business, why have an NLRB? Why not just force all unions across the land to accept whatever business tries to force down their throats? Republicans don't have to automatically vote in favour of business. I for one would like to think they would actually listen to the case and vote on its merits.

I agree that the members will decide this case, if it ever comes to fruition, based on the merits. It is however worthy of note that the "merits" of a case can be viewed differently by individuals who bring a pro-union or pro-management bias to the case.

And for everyone claiming the players won't get a better deal than the one they could have negotiated last week, you're right. But same goes for the owners. How are they better off because of this? Sure, they might end up with a lower cap, but with drastically lower revenues, even with linkage, they are going to be far worse off as well. Why is no one lambasting the owners for not negotiating the best deal they could get last week?

No, the same criteria doesn't apply to the owners. They will make their money back and then some. Sure it will cost them short term, but if they get a cap and linkage they will be far better off in the long run.

The players have lost pure profit they will never get back and a year of earning potential. There is no "long-term" for the individual member of the PA.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
Russian Fan said:
So you think every owner should ask to their employee how to manage they business in order to get healthy in order to not be stress & feel that like they succesfull ?

This kind of questions can go either way.

Now most owners just hand out layoff notices or put new rules in place to cut costs. However these owners cannot do this without the players consent (i.e., CBA) hence the lockout. If this was any other business this wouldn't occur.

habfan4

Jul 16, 2002
Deus Amat Pretzel
Visit site
gc2005 said:

Set aside the republican issue for a moment: There is a not so subtle difference between regular trade unions and the NHLPA. The most glaring, the number of workers affected, we are not talking about an employer who is affecting thousands or tens of thousands of workers (point being the PA members have politically insignificant numbers). On the flip side the owners do operate other businesses across the US and have significant political pull.

gc2005 said:

As has been pointed out ad naseum - the owners operate a myriad of other businesses, they can afford to take on additional losses in order to secure a return on investment in their hockey franchise.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Russian Fan said:
So you think every owner should ask to their employee how to manage they business in order to get healthy in order to not be stress & feel that like they succesfull ?

You're complaining about the fact the owners ARE now trying to manage their business so it works for them.

Some owners have not been responsible, the payroll difference between teams is too large for a same league (3 times the payroll) and the league is making a loss, most of which comes from franchises with higher payrolls. They're putting solutions to the table that works for them and will help cover these problems but yet you still blame them for anything and everything. They also have the power to get what they want, but that's not alright either it seems. Why not just give up and close the NHL then?

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Unfortuneately

Bicycle Repairman said:
The NLRB rules both parties operate under the terms of the expired CBA.

Hey, you asked.

The prince is all outa kisses for sleeping beuty.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Big Cat Davo said:
I think Russian fan is arguing the impossible to inflate his post count.

I am going to try and help him out with as simple an analogy I can use. Bear with me Russian Fan. You are a player ok? You get paid a dollar a day. You are locked out and you lose that dollar. Same with the 750 other players, so as a group you are losing 750 dollars every day. I am an owner. I make one hundred dollars a day. But ONE of my many businesses is having labour issues, and do to that I am losing 2 dollars a day. Same with my 29 other owner buddies, collectively we are losing 60 dollars a day.

So, the players lose 100% of their dollars, regardless of the total ($50.00$, 1.5 Billion). The owners are losing a VERY SMALL percentage of their yearly incomes. Some are losing less than they would if they were playing. How, with any kind of logic or rational thought can you sit there and say that the owners situation is as dire as the players? The could fold all 30 teams, write off the loses and go back to making money as a ship builder or Televsion or whatever they do to make the money that allowed them to buy a franchise in the first place. You really need to give you head a shake. Look at things objectively.

Dave

Good post, just one thing to add. The owners is losing 2 dollars a day, but for him it's business as usual since he was already losing 2 dollars a day the year before. So in the end, if you compare to last year, the player went from 1 to 0 while the owner went from 98 to 98. Why would the owners be deranged from this? On the other hand, it's pretty clear the players are affected deeply.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Russian Fan said:
I'm sorry but if I worth Billions like you said I lose 20M$ & I manage this franchise like it was a toy, it's because 20M$ out of BILLIONS doesn't mean anything , don't you think ? One day you use the argument that the OWNERS cannot afford to lose money & today you say ''HEY THEY ARE RICH AS HELL, LOSING 20,000,000$ IS NOTHING , THEY CAN DO THIS LOCKOUT FOREVER''

And maybe you didn't read anything except what comes from the NHLCBANews.com but the 1,800,000$ is an average not what 50% of the players are having.

Hit me with a stick and call me crazy but: :lol: :shakehead

Players lose:

65 - 76% of league revenues paid in salaries (depending on who you believe)

Owners:

No travel,meals or equipment costs and many staff laid off out of remaining 24 - 35% revenues.

How in gods name can you even consider that the owners are losing out even close to what the players are? :banghead:
How long can the PA continue paying the players between 5-6 million a month during this mess?.
Goodenow and the players made a brutal mistake not taking the 42.5m cap...his goose is cooked and it will be provin!

A side note: the Calgary Flames alone will make way more money this year then they did before last seasons cup run by not playing at all.I suspect most of the small market teams are in the same boat.

You must be a leaf fan :lol

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Russian Fan said:

No, I think the owners should have a right to run their business their way.

The whole idea of a CBA is stupid. I dont think there has ever been a lock out in my country because sports outside the US generally dont have CBAs, the employers set the rules, if the employees dont like them, they can move elsewhere. Thats a free market.

The NHL should be able to impliment whatever rules it wants, if the players dont like it, they should be free to leave for the Swedish or Russian league and earn 1/10th of their NHL salary there.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Steve L said:
No, I think the owners should have a right to run their business their way.

The whole idea of a CBA is stupid. I dont think there has ever been a lock out in my country because sports outside the US generally dont have CBAs, the employers set the rules, if the employees dont like them, they can move elsewhere. Thats a free market.

The NHL should be able to impliment whatever rules it wants, if the players dont like it, they should be free to leave for the Swedish or Russian league and earn 1/10th of their NHL salary there.
fine, but as long as the NHL insists on an entry draft, QO's, RFA and other restriction of movement by the players, they will have to negotiate for those rights.

dr

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
T@T said:
A side note: the Calgary Flames alone will make way more money this year then they did before last seasons cup run by not playing at all.I suspect most of the small market teams are in the same boat.

Care to back that up? This season, the Flames revenue will be about $0. There losses will be their fixed costs, which average $25 million or so per team. So no, they won't be making way more. Lose less? Debatable. But when you factor in they could have played with a cap in place AND a rollback on all salaries, you would have a hard time saying they are better off financially by not playing this year.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Munchausen said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
The NLRB rules both parties operate under the terms of the expired CBA.

Hey, you asked.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the NLRB has the authority to do that. They're going to tell the owners how to run their businesses and force them into a CBA, under a pro-business Republican government to boot? I don't think so.

All they can do is send them back to square one. No impasse = back to the negotiating table + severe penalities. That is, only if the owners are found guilty of having negotiated in bad faith.

I beleive the owners have the hammer in this.

Actually the NLRB does have the authority to do this. That is exactly what they did to MLB. That's the danger of declaring an impasse - if the NLRB does rule that no impasse exists and the league negotiated in bad faith, they can force the league to pay damages and force them to play under the old CBA untill a new CBA in negotiated, and now the PA would have all the leverage in those negotiations.

Insanity

Feb 11, 2005
kdb209 said:
Actually the NLRB does have the authority to do this. That is exactly what they did to MLB. That's the danger of declaring an impasse - if the NLRB does rule that no impasse exists and the league negotiated in bad faith, they can force the league to pay damages and force them to play under the old CBA untill a new CBA in negotiated, and now the PA would have all the leverage in those negotiations.

Do you think that the NLRB will do that knowing full well the majority of teams are loosing money? I'd imagine it more of going the $42.5M w/ 24% rollback. (serious question -- not attacking).

Can the NLRB actually come up with a CBA based on all previous offers?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Insanity said:
Do you think that the NLRB will do that knowing full well the majority of teams are loosing money? I'd imagine it more of going the $42.5M w/ 24% rollback. (serious question -- not attacking).

Can the NLRB actually come up with a CBA based on all previous offers?

The NLRB is not a mediation/arbitration service. All they can do is rule on the unfair labor practice complaint that will be brought by the PA if an impasse is declared. All they can do is look at the dispute and rule if a real impasse existed and if both sides bargained in good faith. If they find no, they can award damages and force the league to continue to operate under the previous CBA until a new one is negotiated.

The fact that the league is losing money is a good argument in favor of the league's stance in arguing for a cap and refusing to move off the $42.5M number in trying to establish the impasse though.

Brent Burns Beard