I Came to Trade Gardiner Not to Bury Him

My clear headed assessment of Gardiner’s future or lack thereof with the Maple Leafs.
Rating:
2.33333/5,
  1. Hunter368

Hunter368 I’m loyal to nothing except the dream.

Problem with that trade is Jets have zero need for wingers......so Brown adds zero value to that offer. Jets needs are 2C or top 4 if Trouba was traded and/or prospects to who could become one of 2C or top 4 D. Zero need for wingers or winger prospects.....they have too many now.

2. mulefarm

mulefarm Registered User

Totally disagree, Jake is the exact type of D we need with our forwards. We need to be able to get them the puck and create offense. Jake is by far our best D at this.

weems and LeafingTheWay like this.
  3. GoldenGOOSE

GoldenGOOSE Registered User

Big Jake Gardiner fan. Remember how he single handedly got us back into the first seven game series with Boston? Guy is a brilliant player imo. Strong as an ox too... Plus he is a clone of Tim Horton facially. The Best Dman in Leaf history by far.

Tell me that isn't a clone of Jake Gardiner. tim horton - Google Search:

4. Trapper

Trapper Registered User

You have to be careful with Trouba. He is playing 1/2 year contract at a time. Which leads me to believe he has a UFA destination in mind. According to Jets fans, that destination is most assuredly USA. Florida pops up quite a bit. No sense pursuing a player who has his sights set on somewhere else. You want players that are part of the long term plan. I don’t see that he is.

5. darrylsittler27

darrylsittler27 Registered User

If he doesn't want to resign then I offer much less. I don't know he wouldn't sign with us to win a cup. A rumour or fact? One thing I know, playoffs are a different animal to regular season. I'm not in love Gardiner and if he wants $6M plus /yr. I would trade him for an upgrade. Andersen needs help and gets hung out to dry on too many nights. Did anyone see more rubber last year? Or attempted head executions? I just want to win a round before we declare Gardiner a long term solution.

6. Nithoniniel

Nithoniniel Registered User

Trouba will also need a contract at the same time as Marner and Matthews, which means we'll be hard pressed to afford him. I've talked a bit about him myself, but I've realized that it doesn't really work.

7. mulefarm

mulefarm Registered User

Are saying the reason Andersen is seeing lots of rubber is because of Gardiner?

8. darrylsittler27

No, I'm saying we need to help Andersen more which means we need one more very good top 4 Dman. If Gardiner is the cost, so be it.

9. mulefarm

mulefarm Registered User

So trading Gadiner for another top 4, still leaves us 1 short.

10. Zybalto

Zybalto Registered User

I'd be far more confident in Dermott if he were able to show he can play against a higher QoC. He was pretty sheltered last year and put up really good numbers but he was pretty disappointing in the playoffs while Gardiner was head and shoulders better than Dermott, leading the team in Icetime against a solid QoC and was one of the main reasons the series even went 7 games. Dermotts 9 giveaways in 95 min vs Gards 6 in 159 also stands out to me. Dermott has a great future but he definitely needs at least another season of ramping up his competition level before we can call him a legitimate top 4.

I'm not totally against trading Gards but it's going to have to be a helluva return. This team is in serious win now mode and we cant afford to be making downgrades at any position. Signing him to a team friendly contract seems the best option for us.

11. darrylsittler27

We aren't short anything as Trouba is a top 2 who can play with Reilly and Gardiner is a top 3/4. No one will simply just handgift us a top 2 Dman nowadays. We are changing our flavour. We have lots of offense..that we do have.

Reilly Trouba
    Zaitsev ( Carrick/Ozhiganov)
    Hainsey Dermott
    Borgman

Injury callup: Liljegren

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Sutti19 likes this.
  12. 81Leafs50

81Leafs50 Registered User

1) NO
    2) NO
    3) NO

Leafs best option with Gardiner is to trade him to a team that NEEDS offense to stay a float.... St Louis. Reilly and Gardiner both scored more points than any dman in St Louis. They have an abundance of what we need. Parayko for example is signed at a nice number for a while. Trade Gardiner to St Louis add a 1st (which will be a late 1st), add a Kasperi Kapanen/Josh Leivo. Thats a deal.

to Leafs:
    Colton Parayko

to St Louis:
    Jake Gardiner
    Kasperi Kapanen/Josh Leivo (all money retained, both are on the last years of their deals for cheap)
    1st 2019

No way St Louis can turn it down. :thumbu:

13. Ryan Michaels

Ryan Michaels Registered User

Does Doug Armstrong have a pee tape that Russian spies have helped Dubas get his hands on?

14. EastonBlues22

EastonBlues22 Administrator

Do you not consider Pietrangelo to be a defenseman?

15. BlueOil

BlueOil "well-informed"

the blues will simply keep the better defenseman: parayko

since your entire argument is simply based on points and money, i'll point out:

1) gardiner is a 0.44 ppg player after 7 seasons, parakyo is a 0.43 ppg after 3
    2) parakyo is 4-5 inches taller and significantly faster on the ice than gardiner
    3) parayko is 3 years younger
    4) parakyo isn't a ufa until 22-23 season, where as gardiner is a ufa next year and quickly will be making more than parakyo

aside from saving a slight cap hit this year (and then gardiner being a ufa), offense is really the only bright spot you can reference to promote this trade. the blues would certainly be interested in gardiner on their left side, but giving up a better defenseman from the right doesn't make enough sense (even with the dump ins). sure it'd be great to get a 1st back after the orielly trade, but keeping parayko will be better than a first.

if gardiner is still on the block, armstrong can surely find a way to get him without giving up parayko.

16. BlueOil

BlueOil "well-informed"

he's lumping rielly and gardiner together to support his point, as pietrangelo outscored both of them individually like he does year in and year out. if you move the goal posts, the argument sounds more coherent.

17. 81Leafs50

go to 3:40 into this video. Gardiner's pass to Nylander. This is elite level play-making and vision.

Gardiner scored 52 pts last season. Parayko had 35. Its silly to think Prayako can put up these point totals ever!

I don't want Gardiner traded because he is no good. i just think its a trade where both teams can benefit.

18. IPS

IPS Registered User

You guys already have Myers and Byfuglien as top-4 RHD.

19. 81Leafs50

Do you think I care if the Blues miss the playoffs again because of a lack of offense? nope.

20. Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund Registered User

I find this hard to believe.

21. Hunter368

Hunter368 I’m loyal to nothing except the dream.

Buff is great.....right now.....he has about 2-3 years left at a high level only.....not to mention Buff is very good PP & good ES....not so great P.K.

Myers is not what we would want as a long term full time top 4 guy. He’s good on the PP.....every where else not so good. Not to mention his contract is up this year and will want a raise.....no interest in resigning him.

If Trouba was traded it would be a significant blow to our rhd core. Our strength would become a weakness literally overnight.

Any trade involving Trouba needs to include a top 4 D (ideally RHD) or a top 4 D prospect.....wingers zero need borderline worthless to us, 2C secondary need at best.

22. ACC1224

ACC1224 Eye test expert

Agreed.
    I'd take Parakyo over Gardiner any day but no way is he "significantly faster".

23. Eb

Eb Registered User

If only jake was right handed

24. Fogelhund

Fogelhund Registered User

Trouba leaves when he is an UFA pass.

25. dsred

dsred Babcock- Flushing seasons away since 2008

Sure. He could toss muffins to the other team up the right side instead.