I’m puzzled

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
I have read that our beloved Leafs are a top cup contender (some sources even have as no.1 overall). Why is it then that:

(A)-That the ice is so often “tilted” towards our end, that the opposition seems to forecheck relentlessly and we are reduced to numerous stretch passes in defense (I read that we are the second highest team for giveaways in the league). Why do we seem to always be on our heels most of the time? Brian Burke (like him or not he does have insight) repeats that it is the quality of our defense that is the culprit. Is it that simple? Is it Hainsey, Zaitsev etc.? Why does it seem we never hardly have possession? Maybe there are stats to back this up or refute it? Babcock had said after the St. Louis game that the solution was to bring the forwards back closer to the defense, “close the gap” (he said he had observed this after watching the game from above). Against Winnipeg back to back it looked like he had it pegged, but then came Calgary.

(B)-How easily St. Louis, Pittsburgh and Calgary have shut us down in recent visits to our home rink-it is painful to watch the traps they have set up. Are we doomed to s lot of 2-1 games? Is the word out to throw a blanket over the Leafs, clog the middle and front of the net? Is it going to be therefore a steady diet of this? Is it partly because visiting teams have lots of Ontario boys motivated to put on a show in the media capital in front of friends and family? Are we uptight at home because we know this, and therefore do much more relaxed on the road?

(3)-Why do we draw so few penalties if we have all this offensive talent?

(4)-Why the propensity to panic and skate around like “deer in the headlights” at times. Are we the only fans that cringe when we go into the third period ahead? Is it a lack of maturity? Isn’t that why we have the Hainsey and Marleau types come in (one reporter who follows the team, the name escapes me, said that he could see raw panic in our players eyes at times in the Boston Gardens last year during playoffs).

I love them to death and will always cheer but I think it’s OK to point out the warts.

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
I think you aren't grasping the lack of strength of the other teams in the league. The Leafs have their issues, 25 or so teams have issues more severe than us.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
(A) and (B) major strategy issues that can be addressed (and maybe not too early in the season otherwise there will be a counter strategy). (3) NHL's insidious plan of parity over entertainment. (4) Young team playing against a strong opponent.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Washington had a bad defense, worse than ours last year. We gave up more shots but they gave up more scoring chances and I'm pretty sure they were 2nd in the league at giving up high danger chances in the league.

They improved in the playoffs but it was Holtby going god mode that won them the cup.

Shocking how teams that have the best goalies in the playoffs tend to win the cup eh?

I just hope Anderson is more consistant this time around and if he is, the Leafs have as good a shot as any.

Reactions: Eric bungay

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
If you look at the scoring chances we usually give up, it's mostly from the outside. That's why the stats that are based on SOGs are really stupid and laughed at by people in hockey.

We do have a problem with falling in love with the long pass as a breakout scheme. Smart teams clog the middle of the ice, and those are the games it seems like we don't touch the puck.

Our guys need to skate with the puck more and use their speed, but it's tough to teach young kids to act like vets, they're going to resort to the easy play. It also doesn't help that our young GMs ability to sign nylander has prevented us from showcasing the final product. Hopefully he prioritizes that deal soon and we can really see what we have.

Reactions: Eric bungay

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Washington had a bad defense, worse than ours last year. We gave up more shots but they gave up more scoring chances and I'm pretty sure they were 2nd in the league at giving up high danger chances in the league.

They improved in the playoffs but it was Holtby going god mode that won them the cup.

Shocking how teams that have the best goalies in the playoffs tend to win the cup eh?

I just hope Anderson is more consistant this time around and if he is, the Leafs have as good a shot as any.
Serious revisionist history here. Holtby played well but to suggest he carried the team is laughable. Ovechkin, Kuznetsov and Carlson were their top three players

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
I guess, I would say who cares what people say. You just pointed out some insane flaws in the current Leafs. Which are very valid. They are not cup contenders, and that is fine. They are an entertaining team to watch, albeit at times very inconsistent. A team on the upswing and I am so glad it is that way.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Serious revisionist history here. Holtby played well but to suggest he carried the team is laughable. Ovechkin, Kuznetsov and Carlson were their top three players

Most observers would say that MAF was the best keeper in the playoffs and they would be right but keeper analytics also showed there were two elite keepers in last year's playoffs.

MAF and Holtby.

I figure Holtby would get more credit for having a rough regular season, losing his starting job, and then coming off the bench when his team was down and out to go 16-6 on the way to the cup.

Give the man some more credit.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I don't know why you are puzzled. If you read through the threads here, you will see at least twenty completely different explanations for each question. Just take your pick.:laugh:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Don't be puzzled. There probably isn't a great difference between the top 12 teams. The Leafs without Matthews and Nylander, maybe aren't even a top 12 team in the league.

member 147413

Our break out is stretch passes, which if unsuccessful, lead to quick rushes into our zone.

That probably accounts for turnovers, deer in headlights, being hemmed in our own zone.

Our system needs to change, forwards need to support the dmen and play their wall. Short, quick passes. We just don’t do that for some reason.

Solve those issues and we’ll have more opportunities to score. I’m a Babcock fan and defender, but right now we’re just playing stupid and it looks like he’s to blame.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The Leafs being a (top) Cup contender was based on a prediction, which aren't always going to be right. Far too much of the season has yet to be played, and playoffs are the biggest part of that consideration. Matthews missing at least four weeks wouldn't have been known, and it might've been assumed that Nylander would've signed by now at least.

Yes, some teams' surprisingly good starts might result in a playoff berth, and some teams' surprisingly rougher starts might mean being on the outside looking in come April, but it's still early enough to know too much with a high degree of certainty.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
they look nothing like a cup contender thus far.

quite the opposite actually

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Missing 2 60+ point guys kinda messes up the line up.

The addition of Tavares isnt enough to cope with the loses of JVR, Nylander, Bozak and now Matthews.

We need to get Nylander back with Matthews and it'll trickle down threw out the line up. It's still early but you don't wanna leave 5-10 points this month without Matthews

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If you look at the scoring chances we usually give up, it's mostly from the outside. That's why the stats that are based on SOGs are really stupid and laughed at by people in hockey.

We do have a problem with falling in love with the long pass as a breakout scheme. Smart teams clog the middle of the ice, and those are the games it seems like we don't touch the puck.

Our guys need to skate with the puck more and use their speed, but it's tough to teach young kids to act like vets, they're going to resort to the easy play. It also doesn't help that our young GMs ability to sign nylander has prevented us from showcasing the final product. Hopefully he prioritizes that deal soon and we can really see what we have.

It's almost like therer's stats to differentiate "outside shots" from quality chances!

But don't worry, we fail at both of them.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Our break out is stretch passes, which if unsuccessful, lead to quick rushes into our zone.

That probably accounts for turnovers, deer in headlights, being hemmed in our own zone.

Our system needs to change, forwards need to support the dmen and play their wall. Short, quick passes. We just don’t do that for some reason.

Solve those issues and we’ll have more opportunities to score. I’m a Babcock fan and defender, but right now we’re just playing stupid and it looks like he’s to blame.
good for you man, some people cant admit that, no matter what.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad