I’m done with # 47 on our team !!

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
What I meant was, Engvall already has the skating talent. For him, using the body is a matter of willpower.

Skating has never been the issue for sure. I get annoyed with how many times he flubs the puck on a short breakout pass, which sometimes results in a neutral zone turnover. Would love to see his defensive WAR or other stats for this season.

Obviously would like to see a little more fight from him, and a lot more takeaways! A big part of that is that willpower for sure.

I I would be shocked if he makes the playoff roster, and floored if he 'up'd' his game for the playoffs. In the end he is a plug to fit in when better players are hurt, at least for now.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Look at this guy - he should be destroying guys out there

ER-hfFtWAAMMWGZ.png

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Skating has never been the issue for sure. I get annoyed with how many times he flubs the puck on a short breakout pass, which sometimes results in a neutral zone turnover. Would love to see his defensive WAR or other stats for this season.

Obviously would like to see a little more fight from him, and a lot more takeaways! A big part of that is that willpower for sure.

I I would be shocked if he makes the playoff roster, and floored if he 'up'd' his game for the playoffs. In the end he is a plug to fit in when better players are hurt, at least for now.
My worry is that he's comfortable being a sheep in lions clothing, so to speak. Why should he risk his body when he doesn't need to in order to be a part of the team.

Don't give him a spot on the team until he fixes his mentality. If he doesn't start crushing guys and providing takeaways, let someone else deal with him.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
My worry is that he's comfortable being a sheep in lions clothing, so to speak. Why should he risk his body when he doesn't need to in order to be a part of the team.

Don't give him a spot on the team until he fixes his mentality. If he doesn't start crushing guys and providing takeaways, let someone else deal with him.

He's just not type of player. Using your body and hitting is a habit itself. Something he never mastered. This goes for a lot of players in this league. See Blake Wheeler, he was run out of town from Boston for that reason. He wont' use his body enough
Nick Bugstad, Kevin Hayes and so many others.

They have never built their game around their size. Nobody does anymore, everyone builds their game around skating and being in position first now

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
He's just not type of player. Using your body and hitting is a habit itself. Something he never mastered. This goes for a lot of players in this league. See Blake Wheeler, he was run out of town from Boston for that reason. He wont' use his body enough

They have never built their game around their size. Nobody does anymore, everyone builds their game around skating and being in position first now

Problem with him is that he never shoulder checks to see who he is supposed to cover in the defensive zone. He looks lost on who to cover most of the time and ends up puck watching. The difference between him and Gally is that Gally is aware that he is not good on D and is constantly looking around to see who he should be covering for (and still gets it wrong because he is usually late in making the decision)...Engval doesn't even look around.

He is a very good forechecker ...that I will credit him for...but that is about it for me until he at least starts using his size to make plays. I don't get the mentality...does he think if he doesn't hit someone they will return the favor?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Yes this may be true, but I think the same could have been said for Willy early on in his career and in some degree this year even. He was not doing the little things that caused turnovers, which in turn made him play without the puck more often. He was chasing the game 5v5. But full credit to Willy, he completely did a 180 since being publicly scrutinized and is far more engaged in the play without the puck. There really is nothing to Willy's game that I'd characterize as being physical, but he uses his body to gain position when there is a 50/50 puck to be had. Pierre always steps back on 50/50 pucks, and tries to win the battle with a one armed poke at the puck. It just does not work at this level. He doesn't need to bury anyone, and often the plays I am referring to would not result in him getting body-bagged either. Its about extending plays with your effort, not just hoping that you poke the puck loose. If he can figure that aspect out, he will be a player in the NHL all day, every day. The skill is definitely there

Reactions: fahad203

Cecithepylon

May 4, 2017
He’s the new Freddy the goat. He should be good, he has size he has reach blah blah blah. Honestly lately he has been good tho. Really solid depth

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
He’s the new Freddy the goat. He should be good, he has size he has reach blah blah blah. Honestly lately he has been good tho. Really solid depth
Hes got more skill than Gauthier though. Engvall is still young. I don't think we should give up on him just yet. This year was his first true season. You never know, he may put it together over the next couple years.

I get being critical of players, I do it too, but to just want to give up on a player in their first season is just insane.

Reactions: meefer

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010

I understand. The problem is he is simply not good enough for this roster if he isn't using his size to his advantage.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Hes got more skill than Gauthier though. Engvall is still young. I don't think we should give up on him just yet. This year was his first true season. You never know, he may put it together over the next couple years.

I get being critical of players, I do it too, but to just want to give up on a player in their first season is just insane.
Yup I agree for sure. He has way more skill that Gaulthier ever had. His speed alone should be enough to keep him in the lineup. Which actually speaks volumes to the current deficiencies in his game TBH. There is no reason with his skillset why he shouldn't be an everyday player, but he just isn't doing it, at this point. I totally agree, we have to wait and see what we have with this guy. I have a lot of hope that he figures his shit out, but as it stands right now he deserves the treatment he is getting IMO

Reactions: Lumberg

Cecithepylon

May 4, 2017

I know that’s the point. This thread is way premature. If he puts it together he will be good. If this is he’s peak he’s a 3rd/4th liner. Not bad at all

Reactions: Lumberg

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

Hmmm. Those are a couple of words that really don't fit on a hockey, or for that matter sports, forum.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Too soft to play in a physical series. Put him back in against the Oilers next round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad