I’m done with # 47 on our team !!

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
He's Gauthier 2.0. Literally all of the criticism towards him would immediately evaporate if he used the body. Using the body isn't a matter of skill, it's a matter of willpower. This is why many think of him as pathetic. He could crush anyone on the ice if he wanted to, but he's a gentle giant.
I can understand the comparison on body contact but Engvall's skill set is in every single way better than Fred's. Way better acceleration and top end speed.... better vision and better passer. Better shot... He can be guilty of some passive play but that reach, size/speed combo is not always easy to find.

Reactions: slozo

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He seems to respond well when he's pulled out of the line up for a bit and then put back in .. But he struggles to maintain his consistency when he's a mainstay in the line up.

Typical I guess of a relatively younger player (in terms of NHL games played). Intriguing skillset with his size/speed, and has a bit of skill. Also isn't afraid of going into the corners but you'd like to see him use his size more.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I can understand the comparison on body contact but Engvall's skill set is in every single way better than Fred's. Way better acceleration and top end speed.... better vision and better passer. Better shot... He can be guilty of some passive play but that reach, size/speed combo is not always easy to find.

yeah that comp doesn't make much sense.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
He seems to respond well when he's pulled out of the line up for a bit and then put back in .. But he struggles to maintain his consistency when he's a mainstay in the line up.

Typical I guess of a relatively younger player (in terms of NHL games played). Intriguing skillset with his size/speed, and has a bit of skill. Also isn't afraid of going into the corners but you'd like to see him use his size more.
Whaaaaaaat .... not afraid of going into corners ?
No one would be , in the manner he goes into them
He literally softly and kindly eases his opponent into the corners , like he’s actually trying to protect them , it’s literally incredible
In the playoffs , we need warriors and fighters ( fighting to win that is ) and men who are men and that will do everything and anything to win each and every battle all over the ice ..
Again , I like Pierre as a person , and boy can he skate , so beautifully
But I wouldn’t have him in my line up unless absolutely necessary...
Those players don’t win playoff games and rounds and cups
Sorry

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
There's a compulsion in some to instantly identify the outgroup individuals from any group. It's a feature not a bug when survival is at stake. It's a bug not feature when we're talking about a perfectly reasonably skilled and energetic player like Engvall.
Good minor leaguer and possibly a 4th liner , possibly , but weak minded and weak in terms of compete
Only warriors need apply for the playoffs no matter what their talent level is from a grinder to our elites ...
They need to all bleed and sweat and win at all costs
Remember how the Bruins play in the playoffs in recent memory
Dirty , mean , cunning , pissed pissed off and willing to do almost anything to win
We need to bring our game up considerably to playoff levels ...
We haven’t gone to those levels ever in the playoffs
Sure we’ve played hard and our elite talent has masked some of our deficiencies in the past .
But we need to ratchet it up big time and go to war
And Mr Engvall and players like him haven’t shown as of yet to be able to play in those ways

Last edited:
Reactions: Its not your fault

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
the hilarious thing is that people would actually like him more if he was way smaller.
Nope , not at all from me
Big , medium or small , the size of the player means nothing
Fleury
St Louis
Marchand
Gallagher
Hyman
Dauost
Howatt
Robertson
Grabo
Wendell
There’s so many more

On and on and on
It’s the fight in the dog that’s of optimum importance in the playoffs
Please don’t make blanket statements ;)
Go Leafs Go

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
the hilarious thing is that people would actually like him more if he was way smaller.
it would just make more sense why he plays the way he does if he was 5'6 and not 6'5. It's like Blake Griffin refusing to dunk in Detroit. It just makes no sense. He has every ability to be hard to play against, but he looks like he just wants pucks to fall on his tape far too often. He needs to work for his bounces. I think a huge misconception that the Engvall supporters think is that the Engvall detractors want him to be a knuckle dragging mutant. It's far from that. Just be first on pucks, be hard on the puck, and finish plays. Pretty simple shit that everyone on the team seems to understand consistently but him IMO. He has the exact same skillset as Micheyev with the addition of a better scoring touch, yet he is only effective in maybe 50% of his shifts. And that's being extremely generous. Micheyev is not someone I would characterize as physical, but he uses his body to make plays on the puck. There is absolutely no reason why Pierre can't make that a consistent part of his game. Pierre is fine with the puck on his tape, but just lacks the gear that would keep him in the lineup consistently. I love how they've been using him recently. He comes in sparingly and it's almost as if we see a changed Pierre. But history has shown it is short lived, he gets complacent and regresses to his old bad habits. That said, he takes advantage of his opportunities when they do come, and I think we see the best version of him in that capacity. I think short leash with Pierre is the way to go.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
First 88 games: 14 goals, 12 assists, 26 points. Points/60 first year was 1.6 and in the second 1.4. This player received starts in the Ozone less than 44% of the time in both seasons.
First 98 games: 14 goals, 18 assists, 34 points. Points/60 first year was 1.4 and in the second 1.2. This player received starts in the Ozone over 60% of the time in both seasons.

One started with Kapanen, Kerfoot, Spezza and Mikheyev, in descending order, and then graduated into the second year to seeing him play with: Hyman, Mikheyev, Kerfoot, Simmonds and Vesey.
One started with William Nylander and Pierre Parenteau, with a smattering of Kaspari Kapanen. His second year saw him with Auston Matthews and William Nylander, or Connor Brown.

One was criticized with regularity the first year or two because he wasn't good enough.
One was criticized with regularity the first year or two because he wasn't good enough.

Both were 23 when they started to see regular ice time in the NHL, both were adequate to good defensively, both were decent to above average skaters and possess physical size, both were criticized for their finishing skills.

One is completing his second season with the team and is 24.
One is completing his fifth full season with the team and is 28.

One is Pierre Engvall.
One is Zach Hyman.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Nope , not at all from me
Big , medium or small , the size of the player means nothing
Fleury
St Louis
Marchand
Gallagher
Hyman
Dauost
Howatt
Robertson
Grabo
Wendell
There’s so many more

On and on and on
It’s the fight in the dog that’s of optimum importance in the playoffs
Please don’t make blanket statements ;)
Go Leafs Go

Hyman is 6'1" 210+ lbs

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
First 88 games: 14 goals, 12 assists, 26 points. Points/60 first year was 1.6 and in the second 1.4. This player received starts in the Ozone less than 44% of the time in both seasons.
First 98 games: 14 goals, 18 assists, 34 points. Points/60 first year was 1.4 and in the second 1.2. This player received starts in the Ozone over 60% of the time in both seasons.

One started with Kapanen, Kerfoot, Spezza and Mikheyev, in descending order, and then graduated into the second year to seeing him play with: Hyman, Mikheyev, Kerfoot, Simmonds and Vesey.
One started with William Nylander and Pierre Parenteau, with a smattering of Kaspari Kapanen. His second year saw him with Auston Matthews and William Nylander, or Connor Brown.

Both were 23 when they started to see regular ice time in the NHL, both were adequate to good defensively, both were decent to above average skaters and possess physical size, both were criticized for their finishing skills.

One is completing his second season with the team and is 24.
One is completing his fifth full season with the team and is 28.

One is Pierre Engvall.
One is Zach Hyman.
I’m pretty sure that your not saying that Pierre will be like Zack
Say it isn’t sooooo meefer ;)

Last edited:

mrbagina

Jan 4, 2017
I'm a little surprised at the shade being thrown young Pierres way especially after the last few games where he is bringing it much more intensely than previously. He has only played a seasons worth of games over the last 2 years to start his nhl career. Does he have consistency issues? yep, but so do most young players in this league. When he is dialed in, I like what he brings and think he could make a very useful 3rd line center for us, provided he learns to keep bringing it. Unlike others on here, I think he is the kind of player that will have a bigger impact during the playoffs than the regular season.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
I'm a little surprised at the shade being thrown young Pierres way especially after the last few games where he is bringing it much more intensely than previously. He has only played a seasons worth of games over the last 2 years to start his nhl career. Does he have consistency issues? yep, but so do most young players in this league. When he is dialed in, I like what he brings and think he could make a very useful 3rd line center for us, provided he learns to keep bringing it. Unlike others on here, I think he is the kind of player that will have a bigger impact during the playoffs than the regular season.
;)
upload_2021-5-10_13-25-49.jpeg

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I think his talent is undeniable. He is an NHL caliber player no questions asked. He struggles with consistency and it is something that has caused him to be scratched as a result. It's not even consistency from game to game as much as it is shift to shift IMO. He's the type of player that can score a goal in the game and still be the worst player on the ice over the course of 60 mins. That said, he is still young, and still very raw. I see the potential for sure, as most on here do as well. His role at the current moment is completely fair IMO. He hasn't earned a full time role on this team IMO, but I feel comfortable with him in the lineup on any given night. I'm hoping for him to develop a bit more consistent purpose in his game. He shows flashes of dominance at times, just a matter of consistently pushing that pace. Very frustrating to see that level of talent and effort 1 shift, and then have 3-4 subsequent shifts where he is visibly disengaged in the play. Wherein he is not first on pucks, he is not applying good pressure, his sticks aren't in the lanes they need to be etc...

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
I think his talent is undeniable. He is an NHL caliber player no questions asked. He struggles with consistency and it is something that has caused him to be scratched as a result. It's not even consistency from game to game as much as it is shift to shift IMO. He's the type of player that can score a goal in the game and still be the worst player on the ice over the course of 60 mins. That said, he is still young, and still very raw. I see the potential for sure, as most on here do as well. His role at the current moment is completely fair IMO. He hasn't earned a full time role on this team IMO, but I feel comfortable with him in the lineup on any given night. I'm hoping for him to develop a bit more consistent purpose in his game. He shows flashes of dominance at times, just a matter of consistently pushing that pace. Very frustrating to see that level of talent and effort 1 shift, and then have 3-4 subsequent shifts where he is visibly disengaged in the play. Wherein he is not first on pucks, he is not applying good pressure, his sticks aren't in the lanes they need to be etc...
Excellent takes

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I’m pretty sure that your not saying that Pierre will be like Zack
Say it isn’t sooooo meefer ;)

I'm saying we didn't know what we had in Zack, and maybe it's too soon to wrap up our decisions with a bow on Pierre.

Engvault doesnt have the talent level worth going through the ups and down of his inconsistency.

And Zack was never going to be a first line player. Sometimes HF decides a player isn't what he later proves to be.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
He's Gauthier 2.0. Literally all of the criticism towards him would immediately evaporate if he used the body. Using the body isn't a matter of skill, it's a matter of willpower. This is why many think of him as pathetic. He could crush anyone on the ice if he wanted to, but he's a gentle giant.

Gauthier never had his level of skating and skill, in my opinion . . . so I don't see the comparison myself.

And although he has a big frame, he's not a "heavy" guy, but at his size and strength either way, because of his skating, he should be able to develop his checking ganme to a higher level at some point.

Using the body isn't just willpower, it's a lot of skill. All the best body checkers in history were at least decent skaters, and in today' game, with the speed and skating ability so high, you have to be excellent.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
We should be hoping he comes to resemble a guy like Alex Tuch.

They're both the same age and size, Engvall is faster but Tuch is more skilled, but Engvall has shown some skill.

At the beginning of his career people said 'Tuch has great skill but needs to bring it more often'.

They still say that, they just say it less now.

He does have a little bit of tunnel vision. If he could improve his vision and learn to draw defenders he'd be a very nice player.

Realistically, he's earned the inside track at a job next year, he'll be a year older and there's less competition.

Last edited:

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Gauthier never had his level of skating and skill, in my opinion . . . so I don't see the comparison myself.

And although he has a big frame, he's not a "heavy" guy, but at his size and strength either way, because of his skating, he should be able to develop his checking ganme to a higher level at some point.

Using the body isn't just willpower, it's a lot of skill. All the best body checkers in history were at least decent skaters, and in today' game, with the speed and skating ability so high, you have to be excellent.
What I meant was, Engvall already has the skating talent. For him, using the body is a matter of willpower.

Reactions: slozo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad