Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Don't care that it's a Dynasty Warriors spinoff, and that I noticed at least one continuity error as I'm a dork... I'm getting that for the aesthetic alone.

BotW Hyrule hack and slash? Inject that into my veins.

That being said, they're making it sound like it is going to be canon as opposed to the original Hyrule Warriors being explicility labeled as not canon from the get go.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPTN71

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm conflicted on Nintendo shadowdroppping these trailers just months (if not weeks) prior to release, but I'm 100% in on this.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I have absolutely no interest in a Hyrule Warriors game, but damn that art style just makes me want BOTW2 so bad.

Reactions: AlexisLafreNYR

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I am shocked they let them make what I assume is a canon prequel to BotW in the Hyrule Warriors style.

I think I am in though.

well it seems to me that the Zelda team went to KT and worked with them (because everything art wise/move wise is taken right out of BoTW it seems like) and in a way i think this is the best way to have an canonized story. People have wanted to know about the 100 years/play in this itme period but not have it bog down BoTW 2 at all - with this. you get to do it and be more actiony than you can be in a regular zelda and still let BoTW2 be its complete thing.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I am shocked they let them make what I assume is a canon prequel to BotW in the Hyrule Warriors style.

I think I am in though.
Honestly, a Warriors Type game for a BOTW prequel might be exactly what it should be. Even in some of the memories (Memory #8, Premonition to be exact) it shows that Link was able to destroy hordes of Moblins, Lynels, and Bokobolins by himself. Plus all of the Champions and Link will be at full strength in an all out war.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Not super familiar with Zelda games in general, only now took a deep dive into BOTW (it's a masterpiece). What's the gameplay going to be like in this game? Will it basically be BOTW but with different heroes? It looks like you're stronger and fighting way more enemies at once

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Not super familiar with Zelda games in general, only now took a deep dive into BOTW (it's a masterpiece). What's the gameplay going to be like in this game? Will it basically be BOTW but with different heroes? It looks like you're stronger and fighting way more enemies at once
Try looking up a video on Hyrule Warriors, the previous game. It'll more or less be like that.

Or any Warriors/Musou game really.

I don't think it'll be as meaty as the original Hyrule Warriors but that game was stuffed with ~500 hours of content.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
this game is making me believe there will be some DLC support, because if you pre-order it digitally, you get the lucky ladle (which you can infuse for stats) - but it also says something about being able to come w/the package game at a later date at a paid price (aka. DLC).

while i have no issues buying games digitally, i do have some exceptions (Zelda is one of them) that i really like the physical copy. also w/it being over 15+ gb in size. i'd rather fill that up w/other digital games that will come down the pipe.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
this game is making me believe there will be some DLC support, because if you pre-order it digitally, you get the lucky ladle (which you can infuse for stats) - but it also says something about being able to come w/the package game at a later date at a paid price (aka. DLC).

while i have no issues buying games digitally, i do have some exceptions (Zelda is one of them) that i really like the physical copy. also w/it being over 15+ gb in size. i'd rather fill that up w/other digital games that will come down the pipe.
The previous two Nintendo Warriors games had a bunch of DLC so I'm fully betting that this one will too.

FWIW the pre-order bonuses for the last HW were eventually put into the main game.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Warriors games are just pure hack and slash. Gameplay usually very simplistic but pretty cathartic to some. Just a decent time sink kind of game. You just attack a mob, build up power, use a power attack, and repeat until you clear and area or a room and move on to the next area. Admittedly can get a bit frantic, but very repetive and fairly shallow, so player entertainment value can vary greatly. I put about adozen hours into Hyrule Warriors and maybe 30 hours into Gundam Warriors and got my fill from both. Others get tired rapidly of the core loop while others can sink hundreds of hours.

Actually exploring the plot of the calamity is what I'm interested in. Most of their past stuff is pretty much glorified fan fiction quality-wise, but if Team Zelda was involved I'd expect a marked step up. The movie

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Looks amazing... but I’ve got so many damn games I need to get around to playing..

Haven’t even played botw yet! :facepalm:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

I think I am in though.
They've been pretty tight with Koei Tecmo. Hyrule and FE warriors, even a lot of work on Three Houses. Lots of big titles.

Surprisingly with the warriors games the licensed ones are what they do the best work on, while Samurai and Dynasty Warriors are basically cheap bargain bin crap these days

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Would you all suggest the original Hyrule Warriors for switch? I know it is not needed to play it for the 2nd one since it's not canon but I am curious about the gameplay, story, etc. Worth the time?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Would you all suggest the original Hyrule Warriors for switch? I know it is not needed to play it for the 2nd one since it's not canon but I am curious about the gameplay, story, etc. Worth the time?
I was wondering the same thing, I think I'll likely just wait and go with Age of Calamity.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Honestly, i love Hyrule Warriors (For the switch).
if you only want one. get AoC, but if you want nother game. it's a really great one

Reactions: robertmac43

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The original game for the Switch is absolutely stuffed with content. But maybe wait for AoC so you don't burn yourself out. I wager that the original Hyrule Warriors will have more content than AoC but there's likely to be updates/DLC down the road.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I was wondering the same thing, I think I'll likely just wait and go with Age of Calamity.

Honestly? At this point, no. I would not at all be surprised if the average gamer got burned out by the gameplay after playing one Warriors game for at least a little while due to the inherent repetitive nature of it. With this being released in the near future, the last thing I'd recommend would be playing a game similar to it.

My recommendation would be to wait for this and then maybe give the original a chance if you still feel like it and want a little corny nostalgia of the pre-BotW series. Go into AoC fresh.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Honestly? At this point, no. I would not at all be surprised if the average gamer got burned out by the gameplay after playing one Warriors game for at least a little while due to the inherent repetitive nature of it. With this being released in the near future, the last thing I'd recommend would be playing a game similar to it.

My recommendation would be to wait for this and then maybe give the original a chance if you still feel like it and want a little corny nostalgia of the pre-BotW series. Go into AoC fresh.

I just got into BOTW a few weeks ago and I've already decided I'm going to play AoC well before HW. I can really only play older games if i've played them before and I can cash in on some sweet, sweet, nostalgia love.

I tried playing one of the earlier Metroid games, some Mega Man games, even the first Zelda and it's just not for me at this point. I never played those games as a kid or when they came out so instead of it being fun it becomes almost a slog to get through just so I can say I played the game.

Whereas I've got zero problem replaying Halo 1, Bioshock, Crimson Skies, Twisted Metal, Tomba, etc...If i'm trying a retro game for the first time it's hard for me to enjoy it. Kind of like watching a really old movie, I can respect how good it must've been for its time but currently I'm not capable of enjoying it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad