hypothetically..... Would the leafs be a better team with Nylander or Pesce?

Which player do you think makes Toronto a better team?

• Total voters

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Leafs haven’t missed a beat offensively without Nylander in the lineup. Matthews is having by far his best year without Willie on the wing. I think the defense is a bigger need than another offensive player.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The quality Top-3 shutdown defenceman > the winger. It's funny how many people get bent out of shape over teams paying crazy prices or "overdrafting" promising young defencemen with lower offensive ceilings, over these amazing scoring wingers...but i think even with the distortion of the Leafs already being loaded up front, this question hits at the crux of why defencemen are so much more "valuable" than equivalent or even "better" wingers.

If you've got star centers like Matthews or Tavares, you can plunk a lot of different players on their wing and have pretty good results. Trying to pull that off with a Top-4/shutdown defenceman is less achievable. It's just easier to "hide" a winger, or put them in a position to tally points.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Both :)

I was in favour of them getting Tavares since I felt they needed more offense.
Without Nylander its the same.

At this point I have no choice but to choose Nylander and the D prospects we have.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Majority voted Donald Trump as president.. That in itself shows how reliable a mass vote can be.

Without qualifying the individuals, what does it really tell us? Sheep will follow?

No actually the majority voted Hillary :laugh: :facepalm: .... your logic still applies however

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
Slightly better player in a vacuum doesn't always mean more value.

23 year old top-4 RHD Brett Pesce signed for 6 more years at only $4 million per year is an ideal fit for the Leafs short, mid, and long-term needs. He is the perfect contract for current makeup and a high-end talent to match.

Unfortunately for the Leafs, 6 years x $4 million also sound pretty tasty to one of the cheapest franchises in NHL history and current #31/31 on the Cap rankings. Good luck prying that value away from Dundon.

I’m just curious because you post a lot about the Canes would you do Pesce for Nylander? Say if Nylander was signed at 7 x 7?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I’m just curious because you post a lot about the Canes would you do Pesce for Nylander? Say if Nylander was signed at 7 x 7?

I post a lot about the Canes because I’m a Canes fan.

For me that question has a more important preliminary question. Does Rod Brind’Amour see Nylander as a Center? If the answer is “Yes” and Rod plans to play Aho/Nylander/Staal down the middle then I’d say yes to the deal. If the answer is “No” then the Canes don’t need Nylander as they have RWs Svechnikov, Teravainen, and Williams.

The Canes have basically one major trade chip in Faulk/TVR/Fleury/Pesce (unlikely). They need to use it to add a Center or a Goalie.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
I post a lot about the Canes because I’m a Canes fan.

For me that question has a more important preliminary question. Does Rod Brind’Amour see Nylander as a Center? If the answer is “Yes” and Rod plans to play Aho/Nylander/Staal down the middle then I’d say yes to the deal. If the answer is “No” then the Canes don’t need Nylander as they have RWs Svechnikov, Teravainen, and Williams.

The Canes have basically one major trade chip in Faulk/TVR/Fleury/Pesce (unlikely). They need to use it to add a Center or a Goalie.

Fair enough! Thanks for your opinion.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Let me see...
Nylander at 7 or Pesce at 4. With expensive Rfa's coming up.
Luxury position as opposed to real team need.
Im going with Pesce here. If TO could do this deal it would be a huge step towards winning a cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad