Hypothetically, Who Would You Draft?

Who Do You Want At 10th Overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Posing a hypothetical question for how I think things could likely shake down on Friday.

It's the draft and the Oilers are on the clock. The following players are off the board:

Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes, Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi

Who do you want the Oilers to draft? Not who you think the Oilers will draft, but who you want if it was your choice.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Sleep easy Soly, I made the contrarian vote. ;)

This is what happens when I give you choices. Going to sit you down for a fidelity talk.

I'll make the results viewable after a day or two so Oilers management can gauge how [spoiler warning] they're about to make their fans.

disappointed

Reactions: Zaddy

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This is what happens when I give you choices. Going to sit you down for a fidelity talk.

I'll make the results viewable after a day or two so Oilers management can gauge how [spoiler warning] they're about to make their fans.

disappointed

I make most of my choices with my head. Thankfully I made this one using my brain.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Pretty easily Boqvist. He's by far the most dynamic and has one of the highest offensive ceilings for any defenseman in this draft. I could totally see them passing on him because of perceived holes in his game or they wanted to take a more complete player and then in 2 years he comes in and tears it up and everyones is sitting in here saying see I told you we should of taken Boqvist over *insert name*

Edit: My question is, and I know it's extremely highly unlikely, but if we get to 10 and Boqvist and Walhstrom are on the board. Who do you go with?

Reactions: Seanzie8

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
It sucks the Islanders get two picks right behind us. I'm sick of that organization benefiting from our misery.
We take Boqvist over Smith? Boqvist ends up a headcase and busts and Smith ends up becoming a #1d before his ELC ends. Criticized for not taking the hometown kid who is roomies with Yammo.
We take Smith over Boqvist? Smith busts hard and Boqvist becomes a 50 point PP QB for the Isles and a leader of the team. Criticized for taking Yammos roomie and not the BPA.

Screwed either way. f*** the Islanders man.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I said Boqvist but it isn't that simple for me.

He is the only one on the list who has the potential to become the player that we need him to be, which is why I take him.

That said, it isn't so much the injury concerns that I have with Boqvist, as it is the rumoured lack of commitment/work ethic.

I think Smith is safe bet as a high end #3 dman. Problem is we have a lot of potential 2nd pair guys in the system already.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
It sucks the Islanders get two picks right behind us. I'm sick of that organization benefiting from our misery.
We take Boqvist over Smith? Boqvist ends up a headcase and busts and Smith ends up becoming a #1d before his ELC ends. Criticized for not taking the hometown kid who is roomies with Yammo.
We take Smith over Boqvist? Smith busts hard and Boqvist becomes a 50 point PP QB for the Isles and a leader of the team. Criticized for taking Yammos roomie and not the BPA.

Screwed either way. **** the Islanders man.

The Isles have the luxury to take a risk and a safe pick.

Boqvist is a huge risk. I do want the player, but Edmonton has to worry about blowing it in the top 10 twice in a row now.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Boqvist should be answer.

He fills a major organisational need, and while I have nothing against Smith, this team already has Klefbom, and Nurse anchoring the left side. Plus Sekera signed long term, and Jones as a top prospect.

On the right, you have Larsson and... Bear? (who could be an easy target for Seattle to bring back as a former Thunderbird).

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I voted Boqvist but could easily make the case for Smith. I would be OK with either choice.

to the OP, this is a pretty good list of who is probably available at 10. If any of these guys get picked before 10, I run to the mic and pick whoever fell out of the top 9.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Boqvist quite easily, he's the top talent here and addresses an organizational need.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I said Boqvist but it isn't that simple for me.

He is the only one on the list who has the potential to become the player that we need him to be, which is why I take him.

That said, it isn't so much the injury concerns that I have with Boqvist, as it is the rumoured lack of commitment/work ethic.

I think Smith is safe bet as a high end #3 dman. Problem is we have a lot of potential 2nd pair guys in the system already.

I'm not really concerned with that at all. My impression of him is not that he is a lazy kid or anything like that, he probably just haven't reached that point in maturity where he'd start acting more like a pro. I think he's just still a kid who loves to play hockey. Nothing wrong with that IMO and that's something that is fairly easy to fix I think. I don't have any character concerns with him at all, he seems like a great kid. I'm definitely more worried about his concussion history than a rumoured lack of commitment/work ethic.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Easy, Boqvist. He is the exact type of player we desperately need rn. I would be extremely dissapointed if we took Smith over him and gifted the Isles another stud young player.

Boqvist >> Smith > Kravstov > Farabee > Hayton imo

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Isn't Boqvist like, barely draft eligible?
The only reason I think teams pass on him is that he is probably another year away compared to his close peers.

Imo at the end of the day he will be the second best defender in the draft.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Boqvist>Smith>Farabee>>>Kravtsov>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hayton

Kravtsov worries me due to the reports about him having questionable hockey IQ, and Barrett Hayton just doesn't have the skills to cut it as a top 6 forward (below average skating, average playmaking, reliant on teammates to generate offense, heavy skew towards power play points etc). Anyone but Hayton really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad