Hypothetical: the Devils win the draft lottery

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What's Bill Daly going to do during the draft lottery, bust out a card with a picture of the NHL logo on it? Or one with the Devils logo and explain that they will forfeit the selection?

This thread isn't intended to mock New Jersey fans. It's just going to be very interesting how this all plays out.

Wizeman*

New Jersey will have a ball in the lottery. They have to in order to pick in the 2nd round and so forth. Their logo will be on it but in the unfortunate case where they win the lottery ,their pick is forfeited so the second team picks first and so forth and new jersey joins in order in the second round.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
New Jersey will have a ball in the lottery. They have to in order to pick in the 2nd round and so forth. Their logo will be on it but in the unfortunate case where they win the lottery ,their pick is forfeited so the second team picks first and so forth and new jersey joins in order in the second round.

The lottery only effects the first round, I believe. So there isn't a point to put NJ in it.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

No they won't. The lottery doesn't impact the overall draft order - just who picks first (and the winner will pump the teams between #1 and the winner's original draft spot down a place in the first round).

Wizeman*

I was under the assumption that the draft order was set in stone due to the lottery. I didnt know it reverted back to order of finish . Thanks

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Never really thought of this.

Well we all know that the NHL is never surprised by who wins the lottery right, they take those envelopes to the TSN Studios and clearly they made them so they know who has what... I think there's a good chance that if New Jersey wins the lottery and has that #1 pick, the NHL won't embarrass NJ & HOFer Lou by telling everyone that NJD is forfeiting the #1 pick. I'm going to assume since the pick is going to be forfeited no matter what they'll give the #1 pick to someone else and present it different to avoid having a fan base even more angry than they already will be if/when NJD is forfeiting a top 10 pick.

Just my theory anyway.

and I think you have to put them in the lottery because it would effect the odds of other teams. If you eliminate NJDs lottery balls, the odds for lower place teams get bigger.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
What if the Devils swap 1st round draft positions as part of a mid-season trade with a team willing to give up a late 1st and a prospect for that draft position. The trade docs specify that the teams are not swapping actual picks, just the draft order or their 1sts. NJD still forfeits its first, but due to the trade it is the lower of the two positions, and it has picked up an asset. Team B then moves into Devils draft position. I doubt it works from a purely CBA allowance re: what assets can be traded, but who knows, that document be large and loopholes exist.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
What if the Devils swap 1st round draft positions as part of a mid-season trade with a team willing to give up a late 1st and a prospect for that draft position. The trade docs specify that the teams are not swapping actual picks, just the draft order or their 1sts. NJD still forfeits its first, but due to the trade it is the lower of the two positions, and it has picked up an asset. Team B then moves into Devils draft position. I doubt it works from a purely CBA allowance re: what assets can be traded, but who knows, that document be large and loopholes exist.

Can't trade the pick, it's come up plenty over the last few years lol

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
I'm pretty sure the pick just doesn't exist. If it were in the lottery it would essentially compound to the team that finishes last.

e.g. Lets say Edmonton finishes last and has a 40 or whatever % chance at number 1. New Jersey finishes second last and has a 20% chance. If New Jersey wins, and is forced to forfeit their pick, Edmonton get the number 1 pick anyway. This gives them a total of a 60% chance of getting the number 1 pick.

This is unfair to all other teams so presumably the Devils pick will be treated as if it does not exist.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
From Lebrun:

Most people are aware that the New Jersey Devils are forfeiting their first-round pick next June in the NHL draft as the final penalty from the league for the original, illegal contract given to Ilya Kovalchuk. All of which makes it harder to stomach for Devils fans, who see their team 26th in the NHL’s overall standings as of Tuesday morning.

The first round next June will have 29 picks instead of 30.

But what’s also intriguing is what the NHL will do with the draft lottery. No final decision has been made, but a source tells ESPN.com that should the Devils miss the playoffs, the league is leaning toward keeping New Jersey in the actual lottery for the purpose of figuring out the draft order.

Then, for example, if the Devils end up with the fifth overall pick out of the lottery draft, they will be removed from the draft order and all the teams beneath the Devils move up a rung.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/27619/rumblings-gms-likely-to-address-fightning

It would be extremely sad to see Devils win the lottery and happen to lose out on McDavid.

EDIT: Not McDavid, Reinhart or Ekblad. My mistake.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Last edited:

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
So, you're wishing for the Devils to be terrible in 2015 also? :)

McDavid isn't eligible this year.

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
I don't think they know what they're doing, so they'll screw it up somehow.

They really shouldn't be in it and just have their % distributed. If they put them in, whatever their % chance is, automatically goes to the worst team, or the second worst team if the Devils are the worst team.

So if the Devils were 2nd worst, the worst team would have about a 44% chance of "winning". Same thing if they were the worst, the 2nd worst team would have the same roughly 44% chance of "winning".

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary
I'm pretty sure the pick just doesn't exist. If it were in the lottery it would essentially compound to the team that finishes last.

e.g. Lets say Edmonton finishes last and has a 40 or whatever % chance at number 1. New Jersey finishes second last and has a 20% chance. If New Jersey wins, and is forced to forfeit their pick, Edmonton get the number 1 pick anyway. This gives them a total of a 60% chance of getting the number 1 pick.

This is unfair to all other teams so presumably the Devils pick will be treated as if it does not exist.

so what your saying is edmontons gonna get 4 1st overalls in 5 years?

:sarcasm:

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I don't think they know what they're doing, so they'll screw it up somehow.

They really shouldn't be in it and just have their % distributed. If they put them in, whatever their % chance is, automatically goes to the worst team, or the second worst team if the Devils are the worst team.

So if the Devils were 2nd worst, the worst team would have about a 44% chance of "winning". Same thing if they were the worst, the 2nd worst team would have the same roughly 44% chance of "winning".

The pick still exists, it's just forfeited. Imagine if Colorado had done something between the time they won the lottery and the draft that was bad enough for the NHL to make them forfeit the pick. They wouldn't redo the lottery, they'd just take the pick.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Such bs imo. They should give them back the 1st especially with Kovy leaving. No reasons an org should be punished twice.

P.S. This is coming from someone who hates the devils.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Such bs imo. They should give them back the 1st especially with Kovy leaving. No reasons an org should be punished twice.

Disagree. Cap penalties are cap penalties. If they forfeited the pick the first year should they have been given a free pick because Kovy 'retired'? Gotta pay the price for making mistakes. This is coming from someone who wants the Devils to be rebuilt :laugh:

Goes both ways though. Say that situation happens but they eliminate Devils from the lottery. All the people who finished after the Devils get increased chances at the #1 pick. How is that fair to the team that finished dead last and needs the #1 pick to rebuild their franchise?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

Did the league punish the Devils by having Kovalchuk leave? No? Then the league isn't punishing the Devils twice.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I guess it depends on how exactly the lottery is done. If it's a big bin of tumbling balls or some elaborate formula run on a computer.

lootoled-1_display_image.jpg

The lottery (NBA uses this method now too) is conducted with 14 numbered balls. Four balls are drawn. There are 1,001 possible combinations and one combination is not assigned (presumably 11-12-13-14). The remaining 1,000 combinations are assigned to the various clubs.

The worst team has a 25% chance (250 combinations). The second worst team has 18.8% (188 combinations), so on and so forth.

Pet peeve of mine is people still thinking it's the old NBA way of teams having X number of ping pong balls with their logo on it.

If the Devils are in the lottery, they would participate like normal. If they win, everybody will get their Nelson-esque "HA HA" moment while every Devils facepalms and mumbles obscenities.

In the record book, the pick will appear as forfeited. This was a picture I took from the 2011 Draft when the Devils had to fork over a 3rd rounder as part of the Kovalchuk penalty.

IMG_4954.JPG

Ie, they skipped from #68 to #70. So if the Devils were to hypothetically be #8. The draft order would officially go from #7 to #9. Not sure why they just don't renumber, but that's just splitting hairs at that point.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Kovalchuk leaving has/should have no effect whatsoever on the pick, especally considering the punishment from the league isn't even for the contract Kovy walked out on. It was for the initial contract NJ tried to sign him to, which the NHL did not allow and deemed cap circumvention.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013

It's not the league's fault that Kovalchuk left.

The Devils are also not being punished for that contract, but for the one they tried to give him before that.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Let's also add that this cap punishment is a made up penalty.

There was no rule that said that if you do these type of contracts that you will be penalized a draft pick.

Many cap circumvention contracts have been made and none of them faced the threat of penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad