Speculation: Hypothetical pt 2

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
If rather have mcdavid than win a cup

:loony:

It's the natural extension, a bit of a laugher hopefully. I'd like to find the sweet spot between "lose in conference finals" and "win cup" where it breaks 50/50. Unless it's viewed as an all-or-nothing thing.

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Even one Cup would be phenomenal. Given the dearth of elite forwards on the roster, they'd have to play like the '95 Devils and trap their way to victory (to a degree Jacques Martin could only dream of). Hope Enroth is ready cause he's gonna have to stop 40 of 41 every night in the playoffs :biglaugh:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Obviously I would take a Cup over drafting McDavid.

But we aren't winning the Cup next year. There is also a good chance we won't be drafting McDavid either.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I'd take a cup over another 40 years without playoffs, nuff said. I just one for my entire family before they all die. ^_^

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
we talking Carolina Hurricanes 1 cup then a decade of mediocrity vs Vancouver a decade of dominance and never making it

or

Pittsburg 1 cup and we spend our time complaining about goal, GM, and coaching vs Islanders we're still bad even with a star

hmm, I think either way I like the cup more

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
we talking Carolina Hurricanes 1 cup then a decade of mediocrity vs Vancouver a decade of dominance and never making it

or

Pittsburg 1 cup and we spend our time complaining about goal, GM, and coaching vs Islanders we're still bad even with a star

If the miracle situation of winning a Cup would occur, it'd likely be a Carolina like win with a bunch of role players playing well over their heads all having statistical outlier seasons...and like I said, given the roster setup and current pipeline (no elite/game-breaker forwards) trapping their way to victory executed so well that the '95 Devils turn green with envy. :laugh:

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

or

After discussing it more Im not sure which one I'd prefer. A cup is incredible and obviously the overall goal. But spending the next decade winning our division/conference, making deep playoff runs, having relevant and meaningful conversation, wondering if Grigorenko will ever become the guy that takes us there or if all Russians are cancers, that seams like a lot more time spent happy then having 2-3 good seasons and then being pissed off when adding Sekera and Staal doesn't make us a contender.

A cup is just awesome though. I dont have any reference to whether that 1 moment (month-3months) is worth losing 9 months of excellent hockey feelings every year for the decade these players will be rolling.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I voted McDavid...however after taking a few minutes to imagine your crazy, unrealistic, not going to happen, one in a million scenario of sustainable player development and a 2015 Cup win it's hard not to vote Cup. The team would have cap space to sign FAs over the next two years to add to an already Cup winning talent level. If the players were Cup winning great already then it's hard to imagine the team not winning multiple Cups over the next few years.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
We can do both. Win the cup and take McDavid when the Isles win the draft lottery.

Now that's how you dream big. This scenario has been mentioned in other threads as well. Why not have the best of both worlds? GMs would stop trading with us because they were afraid of making the team any more dangerous than it already is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad