Speculation: Hypothetical Matthews Contract vs Actual Matthews Contract

Which Contract do you prefer for Matthews?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
OMG you people are a joke. This board truly is toxic.

Beyond NEXT season, we have ZERO cap issues for the next 6 years. We are going to have Matthews, Marner, Nylander & JT for 6 playoff runs.

Now everyone RELAX and just enjoy it

You are so wrong it hurts. Andersen, Reilly, Kadri, Kapanen, Dermott, Muzzin will need to be resigned within the next 3 years. Our defense is not good enough, we will be crippled by the cap if we need to improve our team. Sandin and Liligren had better be studs coming in cheap for 3 seasons.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I went undecided, because neither deal is really acceptable.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
All these idiots pretending to be upset over Matthews signing for $11.634M claiming he should be getting $9M?? (Seriously??) are the same ones that were complaining that Matthews was going to cost $12.5M ++

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
All these idiots pretending to be upset over Matthews signing for $11.634M claiming he should be getting $9M?? (Seriously??) are the same ones that were complaining that Matthews was going to cost $12.5M ++
Your right, only 30 other NHL teams can sign there star players to market value deals. Only idiot Leaf fans would think otherwise.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

It's a shit deal, it's f***ing terrible to the point where 12.5 x 8 would have been better for us. It's what Marners agent said, the best deal in the NHL right now and is not team friendly at all. We got fleeced for a second time with Dubas.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
It's a **** deal, it's ****ing terrible to the point where 12.5 x 8 would have been better for us. It's what Marners agent said, the best deal in the NHL right now and is not team friendly at all. We got fleeced for a second time with Dubas.

It’s less than what Crosby/Malkin got. Way less than what McDavid got.

You’re a pony in this game pretending you have some amazing knowledge yet you’re as inept as most anyone else here.

The cap is perfectly manageable going forward, and this shapes the rest of the league. In two years’ time you and all the other troglodytes on this forum will be bleeting your reverence for this contract and forget how incensed you were when you knew so little of the overall picture.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It’s less than what Crosby/Malkin got. Way less than what McDavid got.

You’re a pony in this game pretending you have some amazing knowledge yet you’re as inept as most anyone else here.

The cap is perfectly manageable going forward, and this shapes the rest of the league. In two years’ time you and all the other troglodytes on this forum will be bleeting your reverence for this contract and forget how incensed you were when you knew so little of the overall picture.

You clearly don't understand the differences in value between RFA and UFA years. Just look at Eichel and his 10 x 8 year deal. Matthews is not McDavid, Crosby or Malkin. He has been injured 3 years in a row as well. I have access to the same knowledge as you, the difference is I apply it correctly.

Marners agent was not lying or wrong.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
It's a **** deal, it's ****ing terrible to the point where 12.5 x 8 would have been better for us. It's what Marners agent said, the best deal in the NHL right now and is not team friendly at all. We got fleeced for a second time with Dubas.
How does this hurt the team exactly?

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
The 13.8m/8 year was just the start of negotiations.
-Matthews initial ask is $14m/8
-Dubas should have countered with $11.5m/8
-They meet somewhere in the middle 12.5m/8

Looks much better then $11.6m/5 that ended up happening though, Dubas dropped the ball here. :(

McDavid got 16.68% on an 8 year deal. 15% seems proper for Matthews for an 8 year term, and on an 83M cap it works out to 12.45M. Bump it to 12.5M flat x 8 for a slight overpay. This makes the $11.6m/5 deal look like a travesty.
Did Dubas do any negotiating? Or did he just bend over and say take as much as you want?

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

It's not as ideal as I'd have hoped (wanted more term at that AAV), but I wouldn't say it's a terrible deal. It's a deal that figures to look better with time. It's been some time since a player of this stature has signed for such a relatively short term. It might be the start of a trend or shift. It can be stressful to be the team that kicks off the trend, but it's also not necessarily easier to be one that has to then follow it either.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Neither, as much as I like Matthews, McDavid is a tier above and has a much larger impact on games. Matthews does not deserve to be paid as if he was McDavid's equal because he is simply not.

With inflation in mind a 11.5-12 x 8 years would be more than fair for Matthews, for a 5 year deal he should be sub 10. His agents smelt blood after the Nylander situation and took full advantage.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It's official. We do not sign contracts based on actual ability in Toronto.

Demands McDavid money, produces NONE OF THE RESULTS to warrant such, yet he's still ****ing ENTITLED TO IT?!?!

WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON HERE????

I completely understand the sentiment of this reaction but every negotiation commences with two different demands neither side expects to get.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Matthews has the 2nd most EV goals in the league since he came into the league. AND that's with playing 15-20 games less than all the other players in the top 20.

The only player he is behind is Connor McDavid. And McDavid has played 1400 more minutes than Matthews while only having 8 more EV strength goals.

Matthews deserves EVERY penny of this contract. He his a top 3 GOAL SCORING center in the NHL which are very hard to come by.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Matthews has the 2nd most EV goals in the league since he came into the league. AND that's with playing 15-20 games less than all the other players in the top 20.

The only player he is behind is Connor McDavid. And McDavid has played 1400 more minutes than Matthews while only having 8 more EV strength goals.

Matthews deserves EVERY penny of this contract. He his a top 3 GOAL SCORING center in the NHL which are very hard to come by.
Even if you don't want to make it all about goals, he's second in the league in P1/60 as well. I don't think people would complain about this contract if he'd get the minutes to put up gaudy numbers. Personally, I'm more about paying for what I believe is the player's ability. I don't really care to pay extra or less due to usage.

Do people really think a 40goal scorer with 69points in a season deserves to be the highest paid player in the league...
Well, most fans don't use disingenuous arguments to make the contract of their franchise center look worse. Saying that Matthews is a 69 point player is not exactly accurate.

Reactions: Menzinger

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Do people really think a 40goal scorer with 69points in a season deserves to be the highest paid player in the league...
Salaries keep going up. I don't think Eichel should be making more than Crosby, but that's how the league works. Also, you are heavily downplaying Matthews' talent

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->