Speculation: Hypothetical Matthews Contract vs Actual Matthews Contract

Which Contract do you prefer for Matthews?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Would have preferred the eight year deal because of the quality of player he is. That would have been an even bigger challenge to fit in "now" (starting next season) though.

DankinIT

Freddie's Angels
Nov 26, 2018
Calgary
Option C: let him sit or sign an offersheet.

I would have offered him either 8 x 12 or 5 x 10 & said these are our offers - take whichever you prefer. Or, if you want to be booed relentlessly the rest of your career, sign a max contract offersheet somewhere else and we'll take the draft picks.

Yes, threaten AM Lol Man with a plan

Finn16

Feb 15, 2018
5 year deal...as much as I wanted a lower cap hit if we are going to sign him to a long term mega deal when he becomes a UFA I'd feel more comfortable signing him when hes 26 than 29.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Yes, threaten AM Lol Man with a plan

Yeah every guy would really want to sign in Toronto then... I don't think creating ultimatums with a franchise center would work very well lol... I agree.

We finally have an ultra talented player... and yes his salary... I wish it was lower ... but f*** sakes... it's about a million more then I figured. Not 5 million more. Also it'll probably screw other gms over a bit... plus all the pressure is on him to perform now. Just like Nylander, and the same as it will be for Marner. You want the big pay day. . Okay.... now go out and light it up then. If not I'm sure there's takers down the road.

For now I still trust guys in management know way more about the cap situation probably 5 to 10 years from now then I do.

Reactions: DankinIT

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
This is a worse deal than nylanders. Why are you giving him this much money for 5 years. He hasnt proven to be a top 10 player in the league. Matthews didnt take a single penny off. The bonus "advantage was bull**** and didnt lower the cap at all. 5 years gives him every chance to leave to zona while being an overpaid player.

I don't understand this argument. If you don't think that Matthews has proven himself enough for a 5/11.3 deal, why would you want to sign him for more years at more money per year?

Or did you want no more than 5 years at a smaller amount?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
What had McDavid done?????? lol

It was in response to the quoted poster who said Matthews wanted McDavid but produced 'none of the results'. So Matthews has to win the Art Ross in order to ask that money? Because that's ALL McDavid has 'results' in in the NHL. Yes McDavid is the best player, but Matthews is OUR best player and we have him locked up at what is fair market value for 5 years.

People are losing their shit over this for silly reasons. I get people would prefer 8 over 5 years, but I don't think this deal is as bad as people are saying.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I've been a proponent of shorter contracts for quite a while now. I don't like long-term contract that brings players close to 30. That's an age where they will still have a case to make huge money, but will likely be right at the start of their decline. It's a dangerous age to sign people in.

This deal brings Matthews to 26, and we can get him on a 8-year deal after that which brings him to 34, and he should be near his prime in ability in most of those years.

No I just have a bit of a calmer demeanor about this than you. I was disappointed that we didnt get more of a discount too and realize that we probably could have had this $ at an 8 year term in the summer, but thats gone now and I knew that months ago...

We got our best player locked up... as a fan, that is nice to see and I still think we can win a cup with this team.
That's putting it mildly.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Option C: let him sit or sign an offersheet.

I would have offered him either 8 x 12 or 5 x 10 & said these are our offers - take whichever you prefer. Or, if you want to be booed relentlessly the rest of your career, sign a max contract offersheet somewhere else and we'll take the draft picks.

Booing a player because he signed a max contract is the most idiotic thing I've heard of. (Yes even more idiotic than booing a home team player for making a bad play)

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I don't understand this argument. If you don't think that Matthews has proven himself enough for a 5/11.3 deal, why would you want to sign him for more years at more money per year?

Or did you want no more than 5 years at a smaller amount?
I wanted him at 8 years about 10-10.5 with 11 mill being the max. Your supposed to sign your rfa to sweet contracts. Dubas cant get a nice looking contract for anyone he has signed. On a 5 year deal I hope for 9ish. The cap is rising but matthews hasnt become a much, gaudreau, mack, level player yet. He gets paid more than superior players while having the chance to cash in in 5 years and go home. This deal is bad. Matthews needs to become a much better player soon if he wants to have a chance of living up to this contract. People cite /60 stats and go crazy for the guy. His actual production is never that of a top 10 player. If Rantanen gets less money than him on a 8 year term it will be so sad. Rantanen has been a better player than matthews 2 out of the past three years. Really hope leafs arent the only team screwed by young rfa's.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Easily the 5 year deal for me. We're competing now, so these years are the most important.

We should be a cup contending team for the next 6 years.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
between the two options, I'll go 5 years. But not getting Matthews for 12.5 for 8 years (100 million) is a blow for everyone imo.

I keep hearing this. It's like saying, "not getting my house for $300,000" is a blow for me, when the actual market price for the house is $500,000.

12.5M for 8 years was obviously not an option. If it was, Dubas would have been all over that. But clearly, Matthews was asking for 17% of the cap, like most superstars make (Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid) which would have been 14M for 8 years.

Personally, I'd rather have Matthews signed at 11.6M then 14M. But let's not pretend that 12.5M for 8 years was an option.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I keep hearing this. It's like saying, "not getting my house for $300,000" is a blow for me, when the actual market price for the house is $500,000.

12.5M for 8 years was obviously not an option. If it would, Dubas would have been all over that. But clearly, Matthews was asking for 17% of the cap, like most superstars make (Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid) which would have been 14M for 8 years.

Personally, I'd rather have Matthews signed at 11.6M then 14M. But let's not pretend that 12.5M for 8 years was an option.

The problem is, Matthews is not in the same tier as Crosby or McDavid.

We paid 400 k for a 370 k house. Not bad, not a steal either. We overpaid to get what we want with that nice walk in closet the wife wants

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown

12.5M for 8 years was obviously not an option. If it was, Dubas would have been all over that. But clearly, Matthews was asking for 17% of the cap, like most superstars make (Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid) which would have been 14M for 8 years.

McDavid never got 17%...
McDavid got 16.68% on an 8 year deal. 15% seems proper for Matthews (because he's not McDavid) and on an 83M cap he's at 12.45M on an 8 year deal. We can bump it to 12.5M flat x 8 years and that would have been fair for everybody. Even an overpay of $13m/8 would have been ok, But $11.6m/5 is a massive, massive overpay.

Reactions: thewave

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Why is there so much outrage on here? We just locked up our best player at a AAV that lets us stay one of the best teams in the NHL for 5 more seasons...

Because we got absolutely no concessions from the Matthews camp. Zilch, zero, nada.

As mentioned, I hope he is not named captain after this. Rielly is more deserving anyway.

I'm somewhat relieved that it's done, but disappointed nonetheless.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
The problem is, Matthews is not in the same tier as Crosby or McDavid.

We paid 400 k for a 370 k house. Not bad, not a steal either. We overpaid to get what we want with that nice walk in closet the wife wants

I think the problem is one that is similar to real estate. It's all speculation. You cannot definitively say that Matthews is not in the same tier as McDavid, Crosby or Ovechkin. It's a risk, and one that we have to take. We could get burned, but in a weird way, the shorter deal actually then plays to our advantage. If Matthews doesn't live up to his contract, we won't be anchored to that deal for 8 years. We can just move on. The truth though is that presently, there was no option C (12.5 for 8 years), and you can only work with the options you have.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
McDavid never got 17%...
McDavid got 16.68% on an 8 year deal. 15% seems proper for Matthews (because he's not McDavid) and on an 83M cap he's at 12.45M on an 8 year deal. We can bump it to 12.5M flat x 8 years and that would have been fair for everybody. Even an overpay of $13m/8 would have been ok, But $11.6m/5 is a massive, massive overpay.

15% might seem proper, but it obviously WASN'T an option. Plus Bobby Mac projected an 85M dollar cap next year on HNIC on the weekend. It's entirely possible that 11.6m/5 is a massive overpay, but it is also entirely possible that 11.6m/5 years will be a fair, if not great deal in 3 years. It could go either way. The problem with your logic is, if you are SO CERTAIN that you know that it was an overpay, what would you have done instead? Walked him to the off-season without a deal? Then what? Play the Nylander game?

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
Why are we giving them these massive signing bonuses that only rich teams like Toronto can do. And, paying them market value. Way to get taken to the cleaners Dubas.

Reactions: Al14

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Im not overjoyed but its done and its around the money BobMck predicted so no surprise here.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Why are we giving them these massive signing bonuses that only rich teams like Toronto can do. And, paying them market value. Way to get taken to the cleaners Dubas.

AM has got his cake and can eat it to. He literally gave up NOTHING in anyway.

Reactions: Al14 and Sonny21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->