Speculation: Hypothetical Matthews Contract vs Actual Matthews Contract

Which Contract do you prefer for Matthews?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
This is a worse deal than nylanders. Why are you giving him this much money for 5 years. He hasnt proven to be a top 10 player in the league. Matthews didnt take a single penny off. The bonus "advantage was bullshit and didnt lower the cap at all. 5 years gives him every chance to leave to zona while being an overpaid player.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The 5 year deal.

Allows the team more flexibility over the next 5 years (when they’ll really need it) and allows them to resign him to a third contract while he’s only 26 (an 8 year deal then would take him to 33 years of age)

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Dubas "OK guys we might have to take a discount in order to stay together"
Nylander "I want 8 M for 6 years"
Matthews "I want 14 for 8 years"

Reactions: Al14 and zaqq

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's official. We do not sign contracts based on actual ability in Toronto.

Demands McDavid money, produces NONE OF THE RESULTS to warrant such, yet he's still f***ing ENTITLED TO IT?!?!

WHAT THE f*** IS GOING ON HERE????

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
Bobby Mac was using an 85M cap on the weekend when he was discussing this, and I trust Bobby Mac more than anyone. So the hit would actually have been 14M on a 8 year deal. That's 2.4M difference, which is probably what you could sign Kapanen for. So the 5 year deal for me. Gives us a 4-5 year window to win the cup with this group.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The 5 year deal.

Allows the team more flexibility over the next 5 years (when they’ll really need it) and allows them to resign him to a third contract while he’s only 26 (an 8 year deal then would take him to 33 years of age)
Where is the cap flexibility. This is not a legit argument. Overpaying a player 2 million or so on a 5 year term doesnt give you flexibility it helps to ensure your team suffers cap casualties. Dubas shouldnt be praised for this signing. How the hell did he not get it for even 6 years. Atleast then the b.s argument of tavares contract expiring would hold some value. 5 years for this money is a brutal contract. Will Matthews ever be a top 3 player in the league during his deal? His cap hit is the 2nd highest if I'm not mistaken. The leafs overpaid Matthew's. Dubas made a great trade for dubas but this contract is bad. He should have gotten a 6th year at min if he was over paying the player. Marner will get 10+ as well and dubas will need to blow up our supporting roster pieces.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Why is there so much outrage on here? We just locked up our best player at a AAV that lets us stay one of the best teams in the NHL for 5 more seasons...

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Based on this tweet from Chris Johnston.

Based on this, would you rather have signed Matthews for 8 years at $13.8 million AAV, or the current 5 years at $11.634 million AAV?

Neither. Where is the "We Blew it Again" option?

In no world should he get McDavid money ....

...and in no world should he get 11.5 without buying up any years of FA.

11 over 7 was a good deal for everyone. 12 over 8 would have worked. 11.6 over 5 is terrible. No wonder he wanted to close this sooner than later.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Where is the cap flexibility. This is not a legit argument. Overpaying a player 2 million or so on a 5 year term doesnt give you flexibility it helps to ensure your team suffers cap casualties. Dubas shouldnt be praised for this signing. How the hell did he not get it for even 6 years. Atleast then the b.s argument of tavares contract expiring would hold some value. 5 years for this money is a brutal contract. Will Matthews ever be a top 3 player in the league during his deal? His cap hit is the 2nd highest if I'm not mistaken. The leafs overpaid Matthew's. Dubas made a great trade for dubas but this contract is bad. He should have gotten a 6th year at min if he was over paying the player. Marner will get 10+ as well and dubas will need to blow up our supporting roster pieces.

2 million in cap flexiblity will go a long way, especially next season where things will be tight.

wwgrd

Apr 28, 2014

Demands McDavid money, produces NONE OF THE RESULTS to warrant such, yet he's still ****ing ENTITLED TO IT?!?!

WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON HERE????

So what you have done differently?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Why is there so much outrage on here? We just locked up our best player at a AAV that lets us stay one of the best teams in the NHL for 5 more seasons...
This is Stockholm Syndrome, plain and simple. I can't explain it any other way.

Reactions: selltrade

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
This is Stockholm Syndrome, plain and simple. I can't explain it any other way.
No I just have a bit of a calmer demeanor about this than you. I was disappointed that we didnt get more of a discount too and realize that we probably could have had this $ at an 8 year term in the summer, but thats gone now and I knew that months ago...

We got our best player locked up... as a fan, that is nice to see and I still think we can win a cup with this team.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
2 million in cap flexiblity will go a long way, especially next season where things will be tight.
I hope your right. If the leafs can make it work somehow then credits to them. Maybe I'm overreacting and Matthews stays a leaf past this contract. Dont think it's a good deal still but I guess their is nothing we can do but put trust in managment and Matthews. Hoepfully matthews can evolve as a player and reach a new level starting next year. Still hoping marner gets 8 years. Go full term on one of these guys. Marner please give a slight discount.

Josh007007

Jan 17, 2019
I think the problem is the supporting cast (nylander, kadri, etc) getting too much

The cap situation is a mess

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease

Demands McDavid money, produces NONE OF THE RESULTS to warrant such, yet he's still ****ing ENTITLED TO IT?!?!

WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON HERE????

Maybe Matthews and his agent have listened to several years of Leaf fans and media hyping him up to be "just as good as McDavid", so now they figure it's time to pay him like McDavid?

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Option C: let him sit or sign an offersheet.

I would have offered him either 8 x 12 or 5 x 10 & said these are our offers - take whichever you prefer. Or, if you want to be booed relentlessly the rest of your career, sign a max contract offersheet somewhere else and we'll take the draft picks.

Reactions: Leafs87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad