Hypothetical if the Wings are sellers at the Deadline

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I will start this off saying I hope we are solidly in the playoffs at the deadline, but say we never do get healthy and we have fallen out of the playoffs by the deadline. Who would you be willing to move and for what. Also do you think there were be interest in said player.

I ask this because the Wings are in a really strange position where if they don't make the playoffs, they aren't in the typical full rebuild mode that most teams are. So who would be willing to move in the player/player deal and who would you deal in a straight up picks/ prospects deal.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I will start this off saying I hope we are solidly in the playoffs at the deadline, but say we never do get healthy and we have fallen out of the playoffs by the deadline. Who would you be willing to move and for what. Also do you think there were be interest in said player.

I ask this because the Wings are in a really strange position where if they don't make the playoffs, they aren't in the typical full rebuild mode that most teams are. So who would be willing to move in the player/player deal and who would you deal in a straight up picks/ prospects deal.

The Wings don't really have any players that are movable or desired that are not part of the future. Maybe Monster?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The Wings don't really have any players that are movable or desired that are not part of the future. Maybe Monster?

depending on what teams are looking for, injuries, etc., guys like Miller, Tootoo, Eaves, etc. gain value around the deadline as teams look to bulk up their bottom6 and penalty killing. We wouldn't get a king's ransom for any of them, but a 4,5,6th round picks are still something. And in Tootoo's case it's next year's salary as well.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002

That is kind of what I was thinking, but I was curious as to what others would think.

This how I view it:

I mean we'd all love to move Quincey, Cleary, and Sammy but we'd probably have to add assets to move them.

Helm, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Ericsson, Kronwall, Howard, Dekeyser basically untouchable.

Franzen's and Weiss's contracts make them pretty much untradeable

Then you have a the young guys in Smith, Nyquist, and Tatar that could be dealt but there would have be a legit non-rental top 6 forward or top 4 dman coming back the other way. Not your typical deadline deal.

That leaves Eaves, Miller, Bert, Alfie, Andersson, Lashoff, Gus, Kindl and Abdelkader.

Only Eaves, Bert, and Alfie would be rentals. Bert and Alfie won't be going anywhere unless they want to. I could see Alfie going for it, especially if he thinks this will be his last year. Bert I don't think will go anywhere.

Alfie could probably fetch a pretty decent deal ala the Iginla deal last year. Even if he chooses the destination, he'd probably fetch at least a 2nd if not a 1st.

Bert if healthy could probably intrigue a younger team. Maybe a 3rd rd pick? But again I don't see him going anyhwere.

Eaves hasn't played well enough and makes a little too much probably to be dealt. Plus he's already cleared waivers once this season.

Miller, Lashoff, Gus, Kindl, and Abdelkader all have years left on their contracts.

Lashoff is so cheap as a #7 I think the Wings would want to keep him but they could probably get a 4th for him.

Miller is a solid 2 way 3rd/4th liner but he doesn't scream playoff intangibles, so I think interest will be minimal.

Gus if he can stay healthy and continue to play well I think a team looking for a platoon or a real solid backup for a young starter could be interested. Not a ton of good goalies out there at the moment besides maybe Miller. I'd say probably a 3rd or 2nd.

Kindl I think would be more of a player for player deal but I definitely think he'd have some good value. Moving him would depend on how the Wings feel about the ability of Oulette or Marchenko to step into the lineup next year. I don't see Kindl here long term anyhow so I wouldn't be opposed to moving him.

Abdelkader I think could be used to get a solid player or good pick. He strikes me as one of those guys that teams think they'd love in the playoffs. I could see someone easily offering a 2nd for him, but I don't think the Wings will move him.

So basically I could see Kindl, Gus, and possibly Alfie on the block with actual interest in them.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I'd trade Alfie in a second if we could get a 1st and a prospect back. Pens might be interested.

IMO Alfie is the only real trade that makes sense in this context and but he would have to waive his NMC which means the trade market would be narrow and he carries a 5.5 million cap hit which most contendors are going to struggle to fit in.

The wings don't really have any seller type trades available. The kinda assets you would want to bring back as a seller are the only assets the wings have which hold value so any seller type trade they make would essentially be a latteral move.

If they combine prospects to bring in a really elite player entering their prime who is that elite player going to play with if the team is gutted to bring them here? Sure Dayts and Z but then after that who would the wings still have? 1 legit first line and three 4th lines just like the roster looks like now with all the injuries.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I'd trade Alfie in a second if we could get a 1st and a prospect back. Pens might be interested.

I think Alfie could get a 1st+B/C prospect. He's hovering around the .9-1 point per game mark & would be a great addition to any powerplay. He's also still an effective top 6 winger so if we were to not even be able to get a 1st I'd be a bit disappointed.

All of that being said I don't think there's a chance in hell that we're sellers come the deadline. We were in 9th or 10th last year and we didn't do anything & a couple years back we were also on the outside looking in come the trade deadline. The only way we're sellers is if we're 8+ points out come the trade deadline & even then if we have games in hand I could see them standing pat.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008

Is Datsyuk part of the future? Honestly, he's one of my favorite players ever. But, what exactly is the future. In a future where we are successful with Datsyuk, aren't we buyers not sellers?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Is Datsyuk part of the future? Honestly, he's one of my favorite players ever. But, what exactly is the future. In a future where we are successful with Datsyuk, aren't we buyers not sellers?

Datsyuk will retire as a Wing. Next year the Wings will be fine if the right moves are made.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Datsyuk will retire as a Wing. Next year the Wings will be fine if the right moves are made.
That's nice and all, but if all our best players retire as red wings then we are losing a tonne of value from our assets. Thats another discussion, I suppose. I'm just concerned we are at a cross roads and running straight into the wall instead of choosing a direction.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Alfredsson would have some real value

but the idea of the Wings being so far out of the Playoffs they are looking to be sellers by the deadline in the East is a completely reasonable one

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
Just my opinion but I don't see Alfy waiving to go anywhere. He made his choice at the begining of the year and has settled his family into the Detroit area. I think if he was going to move on it would be in the offseason. Again just an opinion there are no facts to back this up.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
lol, do you seriously think Holland would sell guys off? Only way anyone would get shipped out is if they asked for it, which would be nobody on this NTC country club.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Just my opinion but I don't see Alfy waiving to go anywhere. He made his choice at the begining of the year and has settled his family into the Detroit area. I think if he was going to move on it would be in the offseason. Again just an opinion there are no facts to back this up.

I agree to an extent. I guess I think he could if he thinks this is his true last hurrah, but I think the Wings would have to be pretty far out for him to go with this. If he plans on coming back next year, I doubt he goes anywhere else. I would also expect him to resign with the Wings.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I have to agree, the odds we are sellers are very very low.

But for sake of fun argument.. here is how things have to go for us to be sellers.

Detroit has played 44 games; we are in 7th. 6-12th all all within 4 pts of each other.

There are 17 games to be played before the deadline. Arguably we have a tough schedule.

If we lose 14-15 of those games, Fall to 13th or worse. Then we will be sellers.

And if we are doing that badly. I have to imagine Alfie will agree to a trade, because it is clear he COULD win somewhere else and CANT win in Detroit.

Even then I am not sure he wants to be traded. But if he does. Iginla type return should be expected.

The only other people on the block would be Bert, Tootoo, Eaves (and we won't get much for them).

I really don't want this to happen. Because then we will have pulled all our hair out watching this team the last month and then stupid threads like trade Datsyuk and Zetterberg will start (which should NEVER be done… EVER.. They retire for the Red Wings). But really… If our team starts being as good as EDM. And we have Datsyuk and Zetterberg… No NO NO! I will not think about it!!

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
lol, do you seriously think Holland would sell guys off? Only way anyone would get shipped out is if they asked for it, which would be nobody on this NTC country club.

pretty much sums it up.

there is just little over month's worth of games till deadline and i don't think they drop out of the playoff race in that time. they might drop in standings, but still will be in the hunt.

no need for deadline additions, though, as they all come from IR and LTIR. weiss to the rescue!

and then the pride of leadership group will carry wings to the playoffs as they don't want to be the guys who will miss the playoffs.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
That is kind of what I was thinking, but I was curious as to what others would think.

This how I view it:

I mean we'd all love to move Quincey, Cleary, and Sammy but we'd probably have to add assets to move them.

Helm, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Ericsson, Kronwall, Howard, Dekeyser basically untouchable.

Franzen's and Weiss's contracts make them pretty much untradeable

Then you have a the young guys in Smith, Nyquist, and Tatar that could be dealt but there would have be a legit non-rental top 6 forward or top 4 dman coming back the other way. Not your typical deadline deal.

That leaves Eaves, Miller, Bert, Alfie, Andersson, Lashoff, Gus, Kindl and Abdelkader.

Only Eaves, Bert, and Alfie would be rentals. Bert and Alfie won't be going anywhere unless they want to. I could see Alfie going for it, especially if he thinks this will be his last year. Bert I don't think will go anywhere.

Alfie could probably fetch a pretty decent deal ala the Iginla deal last year. Even if he chooses the destination, he'd probably fetch at least a 2nd if not a 1st.

Bert if healthy could probably intrigue a younger team. Maybe a 3rd rd pick? But again I don't see him going anyhwere.

Eaves hasn't played well enough and makes a little too much probably to be dealt. Plus he's already cleared waivers once this season.

Miller, Lashoff, Gus, Kindl, and Abdelkader all have years left on their contracts.

Lashoff is so cheap as a #7 I think the Wings would want to keep him but they could probably get a 4th for him.

Miller is a solid 2 way 3rd/4th liner but he doesn't scream playoff intangibles, so I think interest will be minimal.

Gus if he can stay healthy and continue to play well I think a team looking for a platoon or a real solid backup for a young starter could be interested. Not a ton of good goalies out there at the moment besides maybe Miller. I'd say probably a 3rd or 2nd.

Kindl I think would be more of a player for player deal but I definitely think he'd have some good value. Moving him would depend on how the Wings feel about the ability of Oulette or Marchenko to step into the lineup next year. I don't see Kindl here long term anyhow so I wouldn't be opposed to moving him.

Abdelkader I think could be used to get a solid player or good pick. He strikes me as one of those guys that teams think they'd love in the playoffs. I could see someone easily offering a 2nd for him, but I don't think the Wings will move him.

So basically I could see Kindl, Gus, and possibly Alfie on the block with actual interest in them.

Todd Bertuzzi for a 3rd round pick???? Are you kidding me?? We would not get a 7th round pick for Todd Bertuzzi, guaranteed. Todd Bertuzzi has 1 POINT since November 7th, and what makes it worse, he gets over 15 MINUTES of ice time per game. I know there are Cleary haters, and Quincey haters and Sammy haters, but Todd Bertuzzi is the worst player on the Red Wings. I would trade Bertuzzi for absolutely anything. I'm gonna go as far to say Todd Bertuzzi is in the top 10 worst players in the NHL.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Todd Bertuzzi for a 3rd round pick???? Are you kidding me?? We would not get a 7th round pick for Todd Bertuzzi, guaranteed. Todd Bertuzzi has 1 POINT since November 7th, and what makes it worse, he gets over 15 MINUTES of ice time per game. I know there are Cleary haters, and Quincey haters and Sammy haters, but Todd Bertuzzi is the worst player on the Red Wings. I would trade Bertuzzi for absolutely anything. I'm gonna go as far to say Todd Bertuzzi is in the top 10 worst players in the NHL.

after his injury, he has been making a strong case for it.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Holland has assembled a team of trash. The only people that may have some value have NTC. The rest of the team is just garbage. Players you put on the waiver wire and nobody claims them.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Look at the standings. Detroit is in the 8th spot and Columbus (12th) is only 4 points behind us.

In order for us to be convincingly out of a playoff spot, we'd have to be a bottom 3 team.

And the only way Holland is a seller at the deadline is if we're convincingly out of a playoff spot. We all know he'll be in denial even if we're 10 points out of the playoff picture on deadline day.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

The Wings will never acknowledge being in rebuild mode. Holland likes to use one of his patented cute phrases and when it comes to rebuilding he says "rebuild on the fly". Sounds like something Joe Dumars has been saying for nearly a decade. :laugh:

We have close to nothing that would be worth anything. Gustavsson has rehabbed his career this year but he is injury prone and the market for goalies isn't exactly hot.

Your best bet is to keep your powder dry and then try to make moves once the season is over. Your biggest needs:

1. Right handed two way d-man.
2. Legit middle six center with some offensive potential.
3. Physical bottom 6 forward who can forecheck like a maniac.

Holland doesn't make trades but it's worthwhile to at least kick the proverbial tires before saying we didn't like what was available.

Potential Moves:

Try to acquire the rights to Dan Boyle before he hits free agency. Doug Wilson has always been willing to make trades to shake up his roster and that will likely be the case once again if they don't win the Cup. Boyle will not be available while the Sharks are making a Cup run but does Wilson try to sign him to a new contract? If not he'd be a nice guy to transition while Marchenko and Sproul finish their development in the AHL.

Mikhail Grabovski has rehabilitated his career in Washington. It could be due to playing for an offensive minded coach like Adam Oates. On pace to put up 60 points, he'd be a perfect fit as a 2nd line center. Biggest issue could be that he could be due for a raise. If we could buy out Weiss he'd be a good target. I'd look into acquiring his rights if Washington isn't able to extend him.

Look into adding Dave Bolland. I can't see Toronto trading with us given we are now division foes but he'd be a perfect fit to add some grit to our bottom 6. He plays the type of game the Leafs like so they will probably try to ink him to a new deal.

Can we pull off all these trades? No, the odds are highly unlikely. Then you throw in the fact Holland is scared to make trades and I don't see anything of note happening. It's nice to play fantasy GM though. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad