Hypothetical/Fun: Trading Kopitar, Doughty and Quick

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Kopitar for Barzal, Doughty and Carter for McAvoy and Pastrnak, Quick for Varlamov and Landeskog.

Kovalchuk-Barzal-Pastrnak
Landeskog-Vilardi-Toffoli
Pearson-Kempe-Brown
Iafallo-Lewis-Clifford

Muzzin-McAvoy
Forbort-LaDue
Phaneuf-Martinez

Varlamov
Campbell
Peterson

:popcorn:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Kopitar for Barzal, Doughty and Carter for McAvoy and Pastrnak, Quick for Varlamov and Landeskog.

Pearson-Kempe-Brown
Iafallo-Lewis-Clifford

Muzzin-McAvoy
Forbort-LaDue
Phaneuf-Martinez

Varlamov
Campbell
Peterson

We don't make the playoffs with that goaltending.

And that second pairing is still booty. Probably even bootier without Doughty.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I wouldn't. As much as Pettersson is blowing away the SEL he is still a prospect with 0 NHL experience. I would need more than that. At least some proven NHL talent.
and unless Kopitar's game collapses or Pettersson is some kind of superstar from the start he probably won't be passing Kopitar until atleast the 2020-2021 season.
You’re outta your ****ing mind, bro
Wtf has Pettersson proven that deserves Kopitar, an elite, 2x Selke C winner in return? Gotta hear this!
“Size? Potential? Ceiling?”
Pettersson will be lucky if he sniffs the jock of Kopi’s FUTURE stats. Unknown.
Annnd this is when I close HFBoards for the day.
There is no sense in it, without a proven product in Pettersson, when we're talking about a Hart finalist and 2x Selke C, coming off the best year of his career.
Just wanted to point out that rookie Elias Pettersson has 7 goals in 7 games. 10 points.

And it's not like EP has a great supporting cast either.

He's probably already better then Kopitar.

Last edited:

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Just wanted to point out that rookie Elias Pettersson has 7 goals in 7 games. 10 points.

And it's not like EP has a great supporting cast either.

He's probably already better then Kopitar.
I've thought about this thread several times when coming across your posts in other threads, John.

I was hoping it would go away quietly :)

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
These deals favor the Kings so bad.

Naw, Quick should be able to garner Varlamov and one 3rd of one of the most dynamic lines out there in Landeskog,

Kopitar for Barzal, absolutely positive the Isles are giddy at getting less production and 9 years older

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Draft picks aside, 1. They'd be adding 8 or 9 players, and 2. That's adding more cap space than they have even after trading all those guys.:huh:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
c53.gif
How the turn tables

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Doughty’s about the only guy they won’t trade. Kopitar and Quick go before Drew.

Quick, man, that would suck. But I wouldn’t be too surprised I guess.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
I'd trade Quick and Kopitar before DD, but I'm on record saying that this is should be entertained. I'm more and more comfortable in dealing Quick. We will always have 2012&2014 and know that without Quick those cups don't happen. But it's going on 5 years and you either move forward or fall behind. I think it's time he's moved.

As with Doughty, LA would be foolish not to listen. He's been playing very good of late and man would the defense take a hit, a huge hit. But I think you have to see if someone makes an offer too good to refuse.

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
Doughty’s about the only guy they won’t trade. Kopitar and Quick go before Drew.

Quick, man, that would suck. But I wouldn’t be too surprised I guess.
Ecklund's reporting Doughty and Quick are available, so it must be true :D

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Since October the fan base has gone from (a) we can win the division (b) maybe make the playoffs (c) uh oh (d) need a retool (e) need a 1-3 year rebuild (f) burn it down but keep Kopitar Doughty and Quick (g) get rid of them all and have the worst team in the league for the foreseeable future. Draft picks are our new gods.

Is that about right?

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Since October the fan base has gone from (a) we can win the division (b) maybe make the playoffs (c) uh oh (d) need a retool (e) need a 1-3 year rebuild (f) burn it down but keep Kopitar Doughty and Quick (g) get rid of them all and have the worst team in the league for the foreseeable future. Draft picks are our new gods.

Is that about right?

I don't think draft picks are the answer, but they can be part of the solution.

Reactions: LAKings88

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC

Is that about right?

Outside of a hot start last year, the team has been in noticeable decline since the 2016-17 season. Some people looked at the depth which included Clifford, Forbort, Lewis, Nolan and King as suspect. A couple are gone, but I think the core case for change was that depth wasn’t being turned over and the team identity was too easy to coach against if you don’t score many goals.

This season is multiple birds coming home to roost.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Pearson-Kempe-Brown
Iafallo-Lewis-Clifford

Muzzin-McAvoy
Forbort-LaDue
Phaneuf-Martinez

Varlamov
Campbell
Peterson

I don't see any of those teams making those kind of deals. The one with Doughty might be possible, but it would be more like McAvoy, 1st rounder, + good prospect.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The thing with trading Doughty is that he’s not on any age related declining projection, and he plays a position with historical longevity.

If you trade Doughty, you need to be absolutely sure of your return. Because the Kings won’t see another defenseman like him for another 20-30 years.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The thing with trading Doughty is that he’s not on any age related declining projection, and he plays a position with historical longevity.

If you trade Doughty, you need to be absolutely sure of your return. Because the Kings won’t see another defenseman like him for another 20-30 years.
That's a fair assessment, and the reason the Kings should have approached Doughty about it being his team going forward and never signed Kopitar to his current contract.

Kopitar was a trade chip which would have started an actual retool, and Kings management blew it. Now the Kings are in a position where they have to legitimately ask themselves can they become cup contenders in the next 5-6 years with Doughty and Kopitar (his contract is the immovable object) on the roster. I wonder if the recent frustration Doughty expressed regarding effort, followed by the Kopitar quote basically saying the effort is there every game, will lead to Doughty asking for a trade. If that happens, the Kings are not going to get full value for Doughty as he can call his shot on where he wants to go.

If teams have inquired regarding Quick, Blake better listen, then check around the NHL to see what the best deal is, then move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->