Hypothetical/Fun: Trading Kopitar, Doughty and Quick

Chruceg

Aug 12, 2008
Near Philadelphia,PA
It's summer and I'm bored so I thought I would start off a theoretical discussion. What would it take to get fair value for each of our three superstars. Let me begin by saying that any suggestion is in no way an advocation for that trade ... it's just what you think it would take to give up one of these guys. Cap doesn't matter. Also, and this is important, it doesn't matter if the other team would accept ... because we aren't giving up any of these guys anyway. I think they main point of discussion here is what being suggested enough for any of these guys.

I will kick it off

To Winnipeg: Doughty
To LA: Trouba, Morrisey, Connor, and Copp
Rationale: Those two guys cover Doughty's minutes and we pick up forward depth

To Montreal: Kopitar
To LA: Kotkaniemi, Poehling, and Montreal's 2019 1st
Rationale: Center for hopefully depth at forward
(I totally forgot Galchenyuk got traded and had him included ... at this point I don't think it is enough ... Please ignore it)

To Vancouver: Kopitar
To LA: Petterson, Horvat, Lind, Vancouver's 2019 1st
Rationale: Center for hopefully depth at forward (This works better I think)

To Philadelphia: Quick
To LA: Provorov, Konecny, Lyon, and Sanheim
Rationale: Goalie for defensive depth and a solid backup

And just to repeat I am in no way advocating any of these trades this is just a summer time waster. What do you folks think?

(Edited because I am a donk)

Last edited:
Reactions: KingTrouty

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
It's summer and I'm bored so I thought I would start off a theoretical discussion. What would it take to get fair value for each of our three superstars. Let me begin by saying that any suggestion is in no way an advocation for that trade ... it's just what you think it would take to give up one of these guys. Cap doesn't matter. Also, and this is important, it doesn't matter if the other team would accept ... because we aren't giving up any of these guys anyway. I think they main point of discussion here is what being suggested enough for any of these guys.

I will kick it off

To Winnipeg: Doughty
To LA: Trouba, Morrisey, Connor, and Copp
Rationale: Those two guys cover Doughty's minutes and we pick up forward depth

To Montreal: Kopitar
To LA: Galchenyuk, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, and Montreal's 2019 1st
Rationale: Center for hopefully depth at forward

To Philadelphia: Quick
To LA: Provorov, Konecny, Lyon, and Sanheim
Rationale: Goalie for defensive depth and a solid backup

And just to repeat I am in no way advocating any of these trades this is just a summer time waster. What do you folks think?

I think Montreal cannot trade Galchenyuk since he is not on their team, that's what I think.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
c53.gif

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Quick won't get that much of a return. A standard return for a goalie is a first round pick or lower. So expect a first + prospect at best.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Chruceg

Aug 12, 2008
Near Philadelphia,PA
Quick won't get that much of a return. A standard return for a goalie is a first round pick or lower. So expect a first + prospect at best.

I honestly don't think the Flyers would (or should) trade Provorov. I get that they've always needed a goalie, but Provorov is a stud and only 21 years old.

Not the point of the thread. I don't want Quick traded. The idea is what would YOU want back for Quick if you wanted to trade him? In my opinion his contract his extremely team friendly and I would have to be blown away.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
I would do Pettersson for Kopitar straight up. Vancouver wouldn't.
You’re outta your f***ing mind, bro

Wtf has Pettersson proven that deserves Kopitar, an elite, 2x Selke C winner in return? Gotta hear this!

“Size? Potential? Ceiling?”

Pettersson will be lucky if he sniffs the jock of Kopi’s FUTURE stats. Unknown.

There’s a point where being a homer and being a realist diverge and collide. You just done so, bruddaman

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
You’re outta your ****ing mind, bro

Wtf has Pettersson proven that deserves Kopitar, an elite, 2x Selke C winner in return? Gotta hear this!

“Size? Potential? Ceiling?”

Pettersson will be lucky if he sniffs the jock of Kopi’s FUTURE stats. Unknown.

There’s a point where being a homer and being a realist diverge and collide. You just done so, bruddaman
I guarantee you Vancouver wouldn't trade Pettersson for Kopitar straight up.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not the point of the thread. I don't want Quick traded. The idea is what would YOU want back for Quick if you wanted to trade him? In my opinion his contract his extremely team friendly and I would have to be blown away.

I know you don't want Quick traded. I'm just saying what the market is for goalies.

I would want a 1st + A or B prospect, since that is more than the going rate for goalies. If Blake traded him for less I would be very upset.

Reactions: King Trouty

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I don't need to state the case for trading Kopitar for Pettersson because it's obvious. There's certainly a case for NOT making that move as well, but lets not pretend like there isn't sense to it hypothetically speaking.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
I don't need to state the case for trading Kopitar for Pettersson because it's obvious. There's certainly a case for NOT making that move as well, but lets not pretend like there isn't sense to it hypothetically speaking.
There is no sense in it, without a proven product in Pettersson, when we're talking about a Hart finalist and 2x Selke C, coming off the best year of his career.

Sure, the allure (in this random ass trade) of getting younger is enticing, but dude hasn't done fug all in the league, especially to warrant a franchise 1C HoF in return, still in his prime and showing no signs of slowing down.

John, I generally agree with your takes, but you've lost me here, amigo

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Vancouver would never do it in a million years, no debating that side of it. Blake probably wouldn't do it either because the Kings management believes they have a legit shot at the SC and unless Kopitar's game collapses or Pettersson is some kind of superstar from the start he probably won't be passing Kopitar until atleast the 2020-2021 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad