Hypothetical Fictional Superstar

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Let's say a new player comes in this league and manage to built a resumé as follow:
Have a career of 10 years in the NHL with the same team and retire due to injuries.
Is a center , known as a leader and becomes Captain of his team in his 4th year.

Manage to score in order: 52g, 57g, 54g, 67g, 74g, 83g, 81g, 73g, 45g(62gp), 22g (39gp).

Wins 6 Art Rosses , 5 Harts , 7 Lester B. , 6 Rocket Richards , 2 Stanley Cups with 2 Conn Smythe and always perform as good in the playoff as in the season.

In his peak years reaching 140/160pts he is clearly the only guy to do that with guys like Crosby still making in the 100/110pts range.

He is also capable of fighting and playing physical if necessary but not as much as Lindros for example.Think someone like Iginla in this regard.

So let's say this guy exist in the present NHL where does he stand besides Orr , Lemieux , Gretzky and Howe? Would he be considered as good or better , or less?

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Definitely makes the top 5 easily. Orr had ten more or less complete seasons (mainly less :shakehead) and only 12 total, yet that's enough to cement him and unquestionable top4 spot, even topping many people's list for the best players ever. The protagonist here is blowing the competition with quite a margin at his peak, considering the lower scoring game of today.
Offensively, I don't see how we can compare him to anyone else but Gretzky (Protagonist is amassing points at a clearly higher rate than Lemieux and Howe (even though Lemieux is obviously much higher to Gretzky than Howe in that regard)).

Comparing him to Gretzky's adjusted points:

Grezky scored 150+ points in six different seasons, the best being 170.
Protagonist scores 150+ points in three different seasons, peaking at 160.
Advantage to Gretzky.

Gretzky scored 50+ adjusted goals on five occasions, besting at 69.
Protagonist scores 50+ goals eight times including 73-83 goals four times. Ridiculous in today's league.
An overwhelming advantage to Protagonist.

Beats Gretzky in physicality, is a proven leader and performs as well in the playoffs as in the regular season. On par with Lemieux in physical play, loses to Howe.

In longevity a clear loser to Gretz and Howe, a slight loser to Mario; on par with Orr.

Prime and peak rival Gretzky in points, but shatters him in goal scoring. Takes what's his in hardware department. Almost nine full seasons and one stub are enough to have him sharing the #1 spot with Gretzky imo (Gretzky's vision and playmaking skills along with the long career can't be ignored).

Edit: I was assuming adjusted points of the past equal actual points of today but apparently it's not 100% so, albeit it's close. Doesn't really change anything in my post, though.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
hmmm, not a very good playmaker compared to his goalscoring.... but he and Lemieux would be in the conversation for 4th all-time, I figure.

johnnycanuck

Aug 25, 2010
Vancouver
am in his 4th year.
Manage to score in order: 52g, 57g, 54g, 67g, 74g, 83g, 81g, 73g, 45g(62gp), 22g (39gp).

Wins 6 Art Rosses , 5 Harts , 7 Lester B. , 6 Rocket Richards , 2 Stanley Cups with 2 Conn Smythe and always perform as good in the playoff as in the season.

If he produces in the playoffs at the same rate as in the regular season, I don't see how he doesn't get 4-5 Stanley Cups... those numbers are ridiculous, and that kind of production could single-handedly win championships in this day and age, as long as the rest of the team was decent.

My Rankings:
1. Gretzky
2. Orr
3. This Guy
4. Howe
5. Lemieux

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
If he produces in the playoffs at the same rate as in the regular season, I don't see how he doesn't get 4-5 Stanley Cups... those numbers are ridiculous, and that kind of production could single-handedly win championships in this day and age, as long as the rest of the team was decent.

My Rankings:
1. Gretzky
2. Orr
3. This Guy
4. Howe
5. Lemieux

No way is he over Howe... Howe has almost the same peak and 10 more years of 100 pt seasons after this guy is retired.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
If this guy is scoring in the 160 range compared to Crosby 100/110 then he is in the mix for top dog all time depending on other factors.

5 Harts, 2 SC and 2 Conn Smythe's in today's NHL is just something I don't see happening because of the cap and the extremely high level of competition.

Of course, I'm curious as to this Hypothetical player might be/is as my 1st thought was a slight variation on AO but i do admit that's just an assumption on my part.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Definitely makes the top 5 easily. Orr had ten more or less complete seasons (mainly less :shakehead) and only 12 total, yet that's enough to cement him and unquestionable top4 spot, even topping many people's list for the best players ever. The protagonist here is blowing the competition with quite a margin at his peak, considering the lower scoring game of today.
Offensively, I don't see how we can compare him to anyone else but Gretzky (Protagonist is amassing points at a clearly higher rate than Lemieux and Howe (even though Lemieux is obviously much higher to Gretzky than Howe in that regard)).

Comparing him to Gretzky's adjusted points:

Grezky scored 150+ points in six different seasons, the best being 170.
Protagonist scores 150+ points in three different seasons, peaking at 160.
Advantage to Gretzky.

Gretzky scored 50+ adjusted goals on five occasions, besting at 69.
Protagonist scores 50+ goals eight times including 73-83 goals four times. Ridiculous in today's league.
An overwhelming advantage to Protagonist.

Beats Gretzky in physicality, is a proven leader and performs as well in the playoffs as in the regular season. On par with Lemieux in physical play, loses to Howe.

In longevity a clear loser to Gretz and Howe, a slight loser to Mario; on par with Orr.

Prime and peak rival Gretzky in points, but shatters him in goal scoring. Takes what's his in hardware department. Almost nine full seasons and one stub are enough to have him sharing the #1 spot with Gretzky imo (Gretzky's vision and playmaking skills along with the long career can't be ignored).

Edit: I was assuming adjusted points of the past equal actual points of today but apparently it's not 100% so, albeit it's close. Doesn't really change anything in my post, though.

Not to hijack this thread but using adjusted stats for players like Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr never works out right and is just plain silly imo. These guys were so far ahead of the league's best let alone the league averages that adjusted stats are formulated from, it's not even funny.

Either way, if such a star come around, he would def get some press in the top 5 all time.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
not easy to say without seeing this imaginary player (defense? carrying his team?), but i think he could be best ever.

would be the most dominant goalscorer of all time and possibly the most dominant scorer of all time.

i would probably not put this player below 3. i think i would be more likely to put him at 1 rather than 3.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Yeah he has like 70 assists each season....

Yes, but that's hardly typical of a generational talent. This guy would have 643 assists to 608 goals, a 1.06 ratio... that's Bobby Hull territory. This guy would not be better than Lemieux; ultimately, the comparison would come down to the two being about equal in goalscoring, with Lemieux being the much better playmaker.

bokchoy

Oct 2, 2010
Is this who you're talking bout?

ocd-gunner-stahl-20080416075621867-000.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad