Hypothetical Cap Circumvention

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
With the upcoming cap crunch, it got me thinking about the retained salary on Phil Kessel 1.2 million. Now when I started this I thought it was 2 million so it probably is not even that bothersome but the premise still remains. What would it take to get rid of retained salary on a player?

If the Leafs were to trade with Pittsburgh again and reacquire Kessel's rights, could they they re-trade him back to the Pens or another team with no retention.

*Disclaimer, I know this will never happen, and that even if the league allowed us to trade for him, they definitely would not allow us to trade him back, it was just something on my and thought it could be an interesting talking point*

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Best way to circumvent the cap next season is to pay Marleau his bonus then ship him out if he waives.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
1. Re-sign Gardiner for a lower AAV for maximum term with no intention of him playing for the team in the later years.
2. Marleau to Arizona on July 2nd, Arizona buys him out and takes the full cap hit. I wonder: Can Marleau re-sign with the Leafs?
3. Nathan Horton to Arizona for Michael Grabner then buyout Grabner.
4. Zaitsev for a cheaper lesser defense body.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
1. Re-sign Gardiner for a lower AAV for maximum term with no intention of him playing for the team in the later years.
2. Marleau to Arizona on July 2nd, Arizona buys him out and takes the full cap hit. I wonder: Can Marleau re-sign with the Leafs?

2. Yes. This happened with Washington and Brooks Orpik

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I thought because of Marleau's age at the time of his signing that this contract could not be bought out

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

# 2 could work....its the Orpik precedent. But the rest not workable at all
#1. Just hurts your cap in future years. Gardiner might want a NMC, so he would be "still be with your team."
3. Why hockey fans have this obsession about players on LTIR is unexplainable. Horton does not hurt the Leaf cap next year. Buying out Grabner would hurt the cap.
4. How can this happen? Wouldn't any team just sign a cheaper lesser defence body instead of paying for the worse (as you suggest) Zaitsev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad