Hypothetical All-Star Game question

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
The question depends on two hypotheticals, one of which is not likely to happen any time soon, and depending on who you ask, the other isn't either. The two conditions:

1) A player from Mexico makes it to the NHL and is elected to the All Star Game (you may substitute Guatemala, Cuba, Haiti, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, etc. for Mexico if you wish).

2) The ASG format returns to the North America vs. World format.

Would this player play for team North America, or team World?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
The question depends on two hypotheticals, one of which is not likely to happen any time soon, and depending on who you ask, the other isn't either. The two conditions:

1) A player from Mexico makes it to the NHL and is elected to the All Star Game (you may substitute Guatemala, Cuba, Haiti, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, etc. for Mexico if you wish).

Depends on your definition of North America. Some people consider Mexico as Latin America, and instead considers the Caribbean (Which includes Guyana and Suriname) as North America and the Caribbeans. So basically if Mexico is part of Team North America, Guyana would be considered part of World. If Mexico is considered part of World, Guyana would be considered North America.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Mexico is clearly different then the other countries due to the fact it is part of North America

other countries are not in North America and so he would play for world

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Mexico is part of North America, I am pretty sure they would play for that team, Caribbean Islands are part of North America as well(I am a little unclear on this though). The others would not since they are from Central America.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Mexico is part of north america. So is greenland.

The cut off from north america to central america is right around guatemela.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Mexico is clearly different then the other countries due to the fact it is part of North America

other countries are not in North America and so he would play for world

Mexico is part of north america. So is greenland.

The cut off from north america to central america is right around guatemela.

That seems like the straightforward answer here.

If he were from Jamaica it could get interesting.

Straight forward and I'd argue incorrect. Central America is a region of North America. Most geographers I've seen who define the Americas as two distinct continents have the extent of North America to include Greenland, Canada, the USA, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, and the various island nations of the Caribbean. Thus I'd argue in OP's hypothetical that that player should play for Team North America. Now the real question is where should somebody like, say, Craig Adams or Robyn Regehr play? Adams was born in Brunei but raised in Canada while Regehr was born in Brazil and spent part of his childhood in Indonesia before his parents returned to Canada.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Keep in mind that for geographical purposes, there is no continent of "central America." That's a cultural construct, not a geographic one.

The Panama Canal is (more or less) the dividing line between North and South America, so I would say any player from north of the Panama canal would be team NA.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Keep in mind that for geographical purposes, there is no continent of "central America." That's a cultural construct, not a geographic one.

The Panama Canal is (more or less) the dividing line between North and South America, so I would say any player from north of the Panama canal would be team NA.

You mean west of the canal? ;)

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

Isn't Mexico a part of North America. But anyways they could just turn it into America vs the world. People from the states would be confused I guess if people from Canada and Mexico were on the team

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Straight forward and I'd argue incorrect. Central America is a region of North America. Most geographers I've seen who define the Americas as two distinct continents have the extent of North America to include Greenland, Canada, the USA, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, and the various island nations of the Caribbean. Thus I'd argue in OP's hypothetical that that player should play for Team North America. Now the real question is where should somebody like, say, Craig Adams or Robyn Regehr play? Adams was born in Brunei but raised in Canada while Regehr was born in Brazil and spent part of his childhood in Indonesia before his parents returned to Canada.

Hockey already solved this problem. Once you play for a country you're stuck as that countries player. For people that have dual status.

It's why brett hull was only on team USA when he was raised in canada.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Hockey already solved this problem. Once you play for a country you're stuck as that countries player. For people that have dual status.

It's why brett hull was only on team USA when he was raised in canada.

But we're not talking about National Teams, we're talking about the Team North America vs. Team World gimmick they used at the ASG from 1998-2002. How did they define each? Was it like the AHL's Team Canada vs. PlanetUSA format which was specifically based on where a player was born?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: